Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,370,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you know, i grew up lower middle class and i can't remember being fed anything "budgetary" . i never had mcdonalds, BK, boxed mac and cheese,"meat in a can", crap like that until I was a teenager (and I've still never had meat in a can!). My dad was a really good cook (wished i liked food enough back then to appreciate it ) and we always had steak, lamb chops, leg of lamb, eggplant, HOMEMADE mac and cheese, chicken breasts, homemade sauce, apple pie, stuff like that.

but here's a fun site, makes me cry with laughter every time i go there - my mom had these cards too, but i think she only made "normal" meals:

Weight Watchers recipe cards, circa 1974
We never ate any of those boxed foods either. I would have classified by parents as Lower Middle Class. My mother made the "Gravy" on Sundays with Meatballs and meat in it. She also made either Lasagna or home made ravioli.
One of the neighbors kids kept showing up at our door at dinnertime because she was tired of eating Mac and Cheese.
Here in the south Mac and Cheese is listed as a Vegatable(side)

I had those WW cards also. 1974 was the year before I was married, and I actually made my mom make some of the recipes, because I wanted to be thin for my wedding.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
We're havin' Beef-a-roni!!!
"Hamburger Helper helps your Hamburger..help her make a great meal!" If they sang it that way today, the N.O.W would be all over them!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
And I bet you have a kick butt recipe for Ghulash...care to share
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't. She didn't cook Hungarian.
I make a mean Chicken Paprikash

Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,059,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
"Hamburger Helper helps your Hamburger..help her make a great meal!" If they sang it that way today, the N.O.W would be all over them!
How about oatmeal burgers with just enough ground beef to hold the oatmeal togther?

When you find that at the back of the fridge....reminds me of my favourite George Carlin line-

Could be meat.....
Could be cake.....

Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
How about oatmeal burgers with just enough ground beef to hold the oatmeal togther?

When you find that at the back of the fridge....reminds me of my favourite George Carlin line-

Could be meat.....
Could be cake.....
My mom use to add oatmeal to her meatloaf when the budget was really tight! Stretch the ground beef a little further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey