Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Mushrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,935 times
I never had SOS or grits until I was in the service and to this day I can't/won't eat either of them.

Growing up we had a lot of mac and cheese, meatloaf, some form of pasta, eggs were for all 3 meals, not just for breakfast.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I completely forgot about tuna noodle casserole. I can add that to the list of things my children have never experienced, along with liver, brussel sprouts (although now I like them) and my absolute most hated childhood food... lima beans. We had a milkman delivery service, and if we ran out before he came back, we coped with powdered milk.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,602,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Mushrooms?
The black things I believe are Blood Pudding?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
We too had little $$ growing up. Stuffed Peppers, Meatloaf, Baked Ziti, Fried Bologna-like others have mentioned. Also fried hot dogs. Stew. Very cheap very tough types of steak. Once in a while chicken with shake and bake. Mac and cheese sometimes(real).

My parents had a HUGE garden and grew every vegetable that you could imagine. In the summer-I would venture a guess that 60% -if not more-of our meals came from that garden. Not to mention the fishing and crabbing that we used to do. I would venture a guess that I probably ate tomato and mayo on toast every day every summer when I was a kid. Also cucumber and mayo on white toast. I also remember having just white toast with mayo when there were no vegetables-mayo sandwiches. I also remember pasta with butter-no sauce-at my grams. Was butter really cheaper than sauce back then?

The absolute worst ever was the snapper soup that my dad and neighbor made when they caught snapping turtles. I had one spoonful and never again-yuk! Horrible.

Gee no wonder I looked forward to twice a month-on pay days-when we had pizza.

I still love tomato and mayo on toast, stuffed peppers and mac and cheese. However- I will not eat sea food, steak, bologna, stew and some of the others I had to eat as a kid. Back then I had to eat it or I went hungry. Thankfully today I have a choice.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The black things I believe are Blood Pudding?
Did you ever try it? It does not sound appealing to me.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Did you ever try it? It does not sound appealing to me.
No but the Brits love it..just the naem puts me off

Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
We too had little $$ growing up. Stuffed Peppers, Meatloaf, Baked Ziti, Fried Bologna-like others have mentioned. Also fried hot dogs. Stew. Very cheap very tough types of steak. Once in a while chicken with shake and bake. Mac and cheese sometimes(real).

My parents had a HUGE garden and grew every vegetable that you could imagine. In the summer-I would venture a guess that 60% -if not more-of our meals came from that garden. Not to mention the fishing and crabbing that we used to do. I would venture a guess that I probably ate tomato and mayo on toast every day every summer when I was a kid. Also cucumber and mayo on white toast. I also remember having just white toast with mayo when there were no vegetables-mayo sandwiches. I also remember pasta with butter-no sauce-at my grams. Was butter really cheaper than sauce back then?

The absolute worst ever was the snapper soup that my dad and neighbor made when they caught snapping turtles. I had one spoonful and never again-yuk! Horrible.

Gee no wonder I looked forward to twice a month-on pay days-when we had pizza.

I still love tomato and mayo on toast, stuffed peppers and mac and cheese. However- I will not eat sea food, steak, bologna, stew and some of the others I had to eat as a kid. Back then I had to eat it or I went hungry. Thankfully today I have a choice.
I still eat pasta with just butter now and again. I also put butter on my pasta with sauce..must be a NJ irish thing : )

Old 08-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
No but the Brits love it..just the naem puts me off
I agree. Does your B&C eat it?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I still eat pasta with just butter now and again. I also put butter on my pasta with sauce..must be a NJ irish thing : )
Hmm Gram was not Irish but Gramps was of Irish heritage and my dad remembers always eating it all the time growing up so that must be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey