Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:56 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
So similar to stuffed peppers. I don't like stuffed peppers, but stuffed tomatoes sound pretty good
We stuffed them with tuna... i was thinking about those stuffed tomatoes the other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Now THAT is really dessert!!

Bread pudding and Rice pudding are NOT dessert, they are starches.

Sugar is dessert.

And don't try and fool me by adding raisins!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE sugar. The other day I made a grasshopper pie.... chocolate pie shell filled with 1 box instant pistachio pudding, 1 1/2 c milk, 2 c cool whip and a few drops of mint extract.. whip/stir filling together. Add to pie shell and freeze. Quite delish!!

My other summer treat is 2 dannon fruit on bottom yogurts mixed with cool whip and added to graham cracker pie shell. Frozen is awesome. Blueberry and strawberry are the only flavors I've done so far.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:05 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,362,636 times
Quote:
Now THAT is really dessert!!

Bread pudding and Rice pudding are NOT dessert, they are starches.

Sugar is dessert.

And don't try and fool me by adding raisins!
Agreed!

For dessert I'm having Ben and Jerry's Coffee Heath Crunch ice cream, and I'm mixing mini mallows in. Talk about sugar overload! I'm going to have to run twice as long tomorrow!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:27 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,198 times
I hate to admit this, but a lot of these so-called budget foods are also some of my comfort foods.

My mother used to make macaroni with canned stewed tomatoes mixed in, sometimes would add a few cubes of cheddar cheese and bake it. YUM!

Do not forget about tuna noodle casserole, with or without the peas.

No one mentioned meatloaf. When I was a kid, I never would touch it, but make it from time to time as an adult.

My mother grew up during the Great Depression in the 1930's; she told me something that REALLY poor families ate was "stone soup", as in stony broke soup. What was in stone soup was water and butter.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE sugar. The other day I made a grasshopper pie.... chocolate pie shell filled with 1 box instant pistachio pudding, 1 1/2 c milk, 2 c cool whip and a few drops of mint extract.. whip/stir filling together. Add to pie shell and freeze. Quite delish!!

My other summer treat is 2 dannon fruit on bottom yogurts mixed with cool whip and added to graham cracker pie shell. Frozen is awesome. Blueberry and strawberry are the only flavors I've done so far.
Grasshopper pie in a chocolate shell....I have died and gone to heaven!

Yoghurt is a breakfast bacteria.

I think I'll try your summer treat as a "breakfast dessert" after my "therapetic all bran". Can I put that in a chocolate shell too

Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Grasshopper pie in a chocolate shell....I have died and gone to heaven!

Yoghurt is a breakfast bacteria.

I think I'll try your summer treat as a "breakfast dessert" after my "therapetic all bran". Can I put that in a chocolate shell too
Maybe you want to stick with the instant puddings......

Old 08-09-2008, 08:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,206 times
Okay, maybe Iam a weirdo (I can say it but you can't) but I LOVE stuffed peppers. I loved it as a kid too.

My mother was actually a kewl baker. We never had cookies, Ring-Dings or Suzy-Q's, etc... in our house.
She loved to bake. My favorite was home-made donuts.

Shanny

Old 08-09-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Okay, maybe Iam a weirdo (I can say it but you can't) but I LOVE stuffed peppers. I loved it as a kid too.

My mother was actually a kewl baker. We never had cookies, Ring-Dings or Suzy-Q's, etc... in our house.
She loved to bake. My favorite was home-made donuts.

Shanny
Wow!!! Lucky duck!

Oh and I like stuffed peppers too.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:11 PM

1,009 posts, read 708,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
SOS is creamed beef on toast, also very popular in the service.

Coming from an Italian background of large families, my Grandmother cooked a lot of "cheapo" meals like pasta fagoli, minestrone, fritata, escarole and bean soup, pasta, pasta and more pasta. Some of these "cheapo" dishes are on menus in restaurants today and are healthy!!!!

Man your making me hungry.. I am italian too and I loved when my mom made those dishes... Those dishes were cheap to make because there was not much money around.. Today the resteraunts charge a heck of a lot for them.. So I guess now you have to be rich....lol

Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,953 times
Red face Food memories

Yes, I too was a raised with poor food. My Mom made this disgusting bean dish. It had kidney beans and gravy and maybe a little ground beef. She plopped a load of mashed potatoes on my plate, used the ladel to made a pool and filled it with the bean gravy. I still remember gagging and puking at the kitchen table.
HRH shudders......
Then there was the "fancy" dessert. Mom took Jello gelatine and mixed a can of fruit cocktail in it. Gross. Mushy soggy foreign fruit....
HRH shudders....
I still remember hearing the noises drifting through our little house after Mom made us all eat every bite of her famous gasious Stuffed Cabbage. toot toot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey