Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Small gangs of marauding, big, scary black men greet each & every passenger arriving at Newark airport with a complementary stabbing.
That's not necessary. It can be scary going somewhere that you've never been.

OP,
You will be fine. There is a Transit train right there and you will be dropped off right on College Ave. Best of luck and hope you enjoy Rutgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:21 AM

238 posts, read 728,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i love how these out-of-staters automatically assume that they'll get stabbed or shot merely by being within the municipal boundaries of newark.

seriously, don't believe everything you hear about newark or new jersey in general. while newark is indeed a rough city for the most part, it's not like you'll be hanging out in any of the crime-ridden areas - you'll simply be arriving at the airport (which is on the fringes of town, far away from any residential neighborhoods) and then catching a train down to new brunswick. and even within newark itself, there are some very decent areas such as downtown (which is filled with office towers and white collar workers) and the ironbound (which is a lively brazilian/portuguese neighborhood that has some of the best ethnic food in the state).

to answer your question, it's actually quite safe and easy to get to rutgers from newark via mass transit. the simplest and most cost efficient way to do so is by train. don't take a taxi, which will be prohibitively expensive. seriously, there is nothing to worry about, and you'll be just fine if you follow the instructions below.

from the airport terminals, take the monorail (a.k.a. the airtrain, which is free) to the newark airport train station. at the station, switch to the northeast corridor line, which is operated by nj transit. make sure to catch the trenton-bound train and NOT the new york-bound train. also, remember to purchase your one-way ticket to new brunswick before boarding the train - there are ticket vending machines on the station platform.

when boarding the train, i'd highly recommend that you speak with the conductor or one of the passengers to confirm that it is indeed making a stop at new brunswick. that's because there is another nj transit train - the north jersey coast line - that also stops at newark airport, but does not pass by new brunswick. if you accidentally get on that train, you'll have to backtrack to the airport station and then switch to the northeast corridor line.

also, make sure not to get on the amtrak train, which is way more expensive than nj transit. while amtrak does make a stop at new brunswick, it isn't worth paying that much more money to make the exact same trip that can been done on the northeast corridor line.

once you've boarded the train, the trip from newark airport to new brunswick will take anywhere from 20 to 35 minutes, depending on whether you catch a local train or an express train.

when you arrive at the new brunswick station, walk along the platform toward the front of the train, then go down the stairs to street level, which is at the T-intersection of easton ave and albany street.

head north along easton ave for 1 block, then turn right onto somerset street. after 1 block, turn left onto college avenue, which brings you to the heart of the campus.

college avenue is the main artery of rutgers's college avenue campus and the location of many of the university's administrative buildings, not to mention the starting point of most campus tours.

one final note:
if you're really considering going to school at rutgers, the first thing you need to do is to forget all of the jersey stereotypes and come in with an open mind. if you do that, i'm sure you'll fit in quite nicely. rutgers is a great school and the experience of living in the new york metropolitan area for a few years will be awesome, as new jersey has a lot to offer (beaches, mountains, shopping, great food, historic towns) and nyc and philly are a quick train ride away.

good luck and have fun.
Honestly, I think Newark does not have such reputation by accident. Compared to any city in Montana, I'm sure there is a drastic difference in safety-crime levels that can inflict fear to any person. I work in downtown Newark. I approached the city with an open mind. However, I needed to be robbed at gun point three times in order to change my opinion, and the way I felt about the city of Newark. Almost every major corporation in Newark has shuttle busses that picks up employees at the main door of Newark Penn Station once you get off the NJT trains. When I first started to work in Newark, I thought it was amuzing to see so many shuttle busses parked on front of Newark Penn Station. Later on, I was told that most companies hire these private operators to guarantee the safety of their employees. Mind you, Newark has enough public busses, subways, and trolley trains. The building where I work, 33 Washington St, has a cafateria in the lobby that has been robbed 13 times since I started to work for this company. Even the building's security guards were robbed inside the building. In addition, the Hondurian gang M13 has moved their headquaters to Newark making the city even more scary. Finally, after seven years working in this city, the company I work for has decided not to renovate their lease and move out of Newark. During the day, there's a certain degree of false safety, but when the sun comes down it becomes really dangerous.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:36 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
Honestly, I think Newark does not have such reputation by accident. Compared to any city in Montana, I'm sure there is a drastic difference in safety-crime levels that can inflict fear to any person. I work in downtown Newark. I approached the city with an open mind. However, I needed to be robbed at gun point three times in order to change my opinion, and the way I felt about the city of Newark. Almost every major corporation in Newark has shuttle busses that picks up employees at the main door of Newark Penn Station once you get off the NJT trains. When I first started to work in Newark, I thought it was amuzing to see so many shuttle busses parked on front of Newark Penn Station. Later on, I was told that most companies hire these private operators to guarantee the safety of their employees. Mind you, Newark has enough public busses, subways, and trolley trains. The building where I work, 33 Washington St, has a cafateria in the lobby that has been robbed 13 times since I started to work for this company. Even the building's security guards were robbed inside the building. In addition, the Hondurian gang M13 has moved their headquaters to Newark making the city even more scary. Finally, after seven years working in this city, the company I work for has decided not to renovate their lease and move out of Newark. During the day, there's a certain degree of false safety, but when the sun comes down it becomes really dangerous.
yes, but the OP will not be going anywhere near downtown or any other newark neighborhood for that matter. she's flying into the airport and will then be going directly to the train station (which is in the middle of nowhere, far from any of the city's residential or commercial areas) to get down to new brunswick. this means that her fears for her safety are unfounded; sure, she's going to be technically in newark, but she isn't going to actually pass through the city or go near any of the areas that give newark its bad reputation.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:43 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,532 times
Quote:
yes, but the OP will not be going anywhere near downtown or any other newark neighborhood for that matter. she's flying into the airport and will then be going directly to the train station (which is in the middle of nowhere, far from any of the city's residential or commercial areas) to get down to new brunswick. this means that her fears for her safety are unfounded; sure, she's going to be technically in newark, but she isn't going to actually pass through the city or go near any of the areas that give newark its bad reputation.

But, don't forget, she's from Montana and doesn't know this. When you hear how bad a place is and you're told you are going to arrive in that place, it would be uncommon for one to NOT have anxiety.

The best service we can give her is to assure her that she doesn't have to fear this trip. The worst disservice we can give her is to tell her how dumb she's being. She's obviously not as she came here for clarity and direction rather than go it alone uninformed.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
But, don't forget, she's from Montana and doesn't know this. When you hear how bad a place is and you're told you are going to arrive in that place, it would be uncommon for one to NOT have anxiety.

The best service we can give her is to assure her that she doesn't have to fear this trip. The worst disservice we can give her is to tell her how dumb she's being. She's obviously not as she came here for clarity and direction rather than go it alone uninformed.
all very true. but i also assured the OP within the first few sentences of my initial post to this thread that she wouldn't be passing through the rough neighborhoods, or any "real" newark neighborhoods for that matter. i made it clear that she would be getting off the plane, hopping on the monorail, and then switching to the train, so there was no reason to worry.

believe me, all of us are trying to assure her that she'll be perfectly safe. we all want her to enjoy her stay in nj and hopefully that'll be the case.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,346,329 times
grabs your bags and get the heck out of EWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It isn't pretty. My poor husband has to work there lol.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
lol, it aint that bad!

your visit is in the daytime right?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonas View Post
Honestly, I think Newark does not have such reputation by accident. Compared to any city in Montana, I'm sure there is a drastic difference in safety-crime levels that can inflict fear to any person.
I'd be scared to live in montana

Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 AM
zas

95 posts, read 283,151 times
Hope she don't bring more drug to Newark like Meth; keep it in Montana

HBO: Addiction: The Film: Related Film: Montana Meth

Old 02-06-2009, 08:20 AM

238 posts, read 728,963 times
Quote:
I was making a mere reference of Newark's reputation, and as the person above mentioned; the person coming from out of state does not know anything about the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey