Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 04:52 PM

345 posts, read 643,369 times

Advertisements

A lot of my friends go to Rutgers; all of them love it. I actually go to Rutgers too...sorta. A lot of people forget that although New Brunswick is the main Rutgers campus, it also has campuses in Newark and Camden. New Brunswick campus was full when I registered for spring semester there, but they offered me a spot at the Newark campus. I was pessimistic at first, but I went along with it anyway, and so far I'm actually digging it.

Oh...um..the topic. Yeah, like others have said, the Newark Airport is pretty much separate from the rest of the city, so you have nothing to worry about.

And just one preemptive thing I'd like to mention: yes, that industrial area along the Turnpike smells bad. THE ENTIRE STATE DOES NOT SMELL LIKE THAT, despite what you might have heard. That is all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNarcotic View Post
A lot of my friends go to Rutgers; all of them love it. I actually go to Rutgers too...sorta. A lot of people forget that although New Brunswick is the main Rutgers campus, it also has campuses in Newark and Camden. New Brunswick campus was full when I registered for spring semester there, but they offered me a spot at the Newark campus. I was pessimistic at first, but I went along with it anyway, and so far I'm actually digging it.

Oh...um..the topic. Yeah, like others have said, the Newark Airport is pretty much separate from the rest of the city, so you have nothing to worry about.

And just one preemptive thing I'd like to mention: yes, that industrial area along the Turnpike smells bad. THE ENTIRE STATE DOES NOT SMELL LIKE THAT, despite what you might have heard. That is all
I did both, NB and Newark. I felt that RU Newark was FAR better. In NB, I was in classes with 200 other students on average. In Newark, my largest class was 22. Big difference.
The professors get to know you and you get to know them. It's so much more personal and the quality of your education is better for it.
While on campus, you have no idea you are in the middle of Newark. I worked in Newark for 10 years and know where to go and where not to. Where the campus is, is not a problem.
Given the chance to do it over again, I would have done my entire education at RU Newark.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 980 times
hi, my daughter is studing in rutgers university, camden hostle campass. I want to go for a short visit her. I shall arrive Newark airport. I have no idea how can I reach university campass in camden. As USA is a new land for me, i am really in tension how shall i reach to my daughter's place. I heard many bad things about camden. Can any body help me and give the rout of Air train from Newark airport to Rutgers university campass in Camden? Is it safe for a female to travel to camden alone?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Belle92 View Post
Hi, guys. I'm a high school senior going on a college visit to Rutgers. I fly into Newark tomorrow and I'm scared spitless of trying to get to New Brunswick by myself. I hail from Montana, where crime is all but unknown. I've heard legends of Newark's crime rep, and all my friends from NJ are absolutely aghast that I'm supposed to be traveling alone.

What would be the safest method of getting to Rutgers (New Brunswick) from the airport? A friend advised me against taking a taxi, which just leaves me with Amtrak and NJ Transit. PLEASE help!
jesus h christ! what a wuss you are. I lived in Newark when I went to school at Rutgers Newark. I was never afraid to go anywhere.
If you are such a scared wuss, stay in Montana.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
jesus h christ! what a wuss you are. I lived in Newark when I went to school at Rutgers Newark. I was never afraid to go anywhere.
If you are such a scared wuss, stay in Montana.
Since she wrote that post FIVE YEARS AGO, I'm sure she figured it out. And probably has already graduated.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 AM

30 posts, read 70,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezvigolam View Post
hi, my daughter is studing in rutgers university, camden hostle campass. I want to go for a short visit her. I shall arrive Newark airport. I have no idea how can I reach university campass in camden. As USA is a new land for me, i am really in tension how shall i reach to my daughter's place. I heard many bad things about camden. Can any body help me and give the rout of Air train from Newark airport to Rutgers university campass in Camden? Is it safe for a female to travel to camden alone?
Check out New Jersey Transit - Home - enter Newark Air Train as the starting point and enter the address in Camden you wish to reach.

FYI: Rutgers Camden Address is 303 Cooper St, Camden.

If you were to travel today the route would be: (without the snow!)

Train to the Trenton Transit Center, then switch to the Light Rail to Cooper St, Rutgers. It would take 2 hrs 30 mins and cost 18.50.

Check for the actual day and time you want to travel. At Newark Airport take the monorail (airtrain) to the train stations.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:37 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Camden is also closer to Philadelphia, so you may want to check to see if there is transport from Philadelphia Intl Airport to the school.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Since she wrote that post FIVE YEARS AGO, I'm sure she figured it out. And probably has already graduated.
or maybe she didnt make it

Old 02-14-2014, 12:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezvigolam View Post
you shall change your plane ticket for one that flies into Philadelphia.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
So yes actually its not too hard by public transport. At the airport (EWR) there is a monorail that takes you to the train station across the other side of US Highway 1 &9.

You then take a train to Trenton and then that Riverline to a stop right in front of Rutgers in Camden.

Google Maps makes a mistake telling you to walk to the airport station, you take the monorail to it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...=m&z=9&start=0

You can also do it from PHL (Philadelphis airport)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey