Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 05:58 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times

Advertisements

Good response, right on the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 AM

468 posts, read 580,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
As someone else said - drive down Route 38 through Cherry Hill and Moorestown and it's indistinguishable from driving down Route 35 through Holmdel and Middletown. Drive down the White Horse Pike through Haddon Heights and it's indistinguishable from driving down Maple Ave. in Red Bank.
Except for the fact that there's no beach nearby to go to

Quote:
Personally, I feel a lot more comfortable with Pineys in Chatsworth than I do with the hillbillies in places like West Milford or Vernon.
That's because you've now been south Jersey/Philly-ized

Old 10-04-2008, 01:34 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
I grew up in Monmouth County on the shore. When I tell people here (Cherry Hill) that I'm originally from Monmouth County/The Shore, they look at me like I just grew a horn. To them, that is North Jersey. The shore is Wildwood.

Hubby and I went to get ice cream in Palmyra today. They had toppings called, jimmies. WTH is that
Oh....you mean SPRINKLES!

Shanny

Old 10-04-2008, 01:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I grew up in Monmouth County on the shore. When I tell people here (Cherry Hill) that I'm originally from Monmouth County/The Shore, they look at me like I just grew a horn. To them, that is North Jersey. The shore is Wildwood.

Hubby and I went to get ice cream in Palmyra today. They had toppings called, jimmies. WTH is that
Oh....you mean SPRINKLES!
I'm surprised Cherry Hill is like that as people in Philly & PA look at me the same weird way because I'm not from here,but I thought that was only a closed-minded PA thing. I'm aware that the influence reaches into SJ as well but I'd have thought Cherry Hill was more progressive than that

Btw do you still say sub instead of 'hoagie' and everyone corrects you?

Old 10-04-2008, 04:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I'm surprised Cherry Hill is like that as people in Philly & PA look at me the same weird way because I'm not from here,but I thought that was only a closed-minded PA thing. I'm aware that the influence reaches into SJ as well but I'd have thought Cherry Hill was more progressive than that

Btw do you still say sub instead of 'hoagie' and everyone corrects you?
Well, I *think* sub but I *say* hoagie when ordering.

Cherry Hill is very generic. I mean, I love the idea that schools and shopping are great but there isn't one *unique* thing about this place. That is why we drive around to some of these river towns. They're quirky and interesting.
Shanny

Old 10-04-2008, 05:01 PM

Cherry Hill is one of the largest townships in NJ, so it's hard to be unique. But the new town center at the Garden State Racetrack is going to change that a bit. CH has a large jewish population and is a bit diverse.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Cherry Hill is one of the largest townships in NJ, so it's hard to be unique. But the new town center at the Garden State Racetrack is going to change that a bit. CH has a large jewish population and is a bit diverse.
What is it going to change?

That town center is the antithesis of unique.

A blindfolded monkey could throw a dart at a map of the usa and that dart will land within 10 miles of an identical lifestyle center going up at Garden State Park. Get real.

If you want to see unique come over to Pa. and take notes while visiting The Main Line, Chestnut Hill,West Chester,Doylestown,Media,Newtown etc etc etc.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Yea PA is unique alright

Old 10-05-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
What is it going to change?

That town center is the antithesis of unique.

A blindfolded monkey could throw a dart at a map of the usa and that dart will land within 10 miles of an identical lifestyle center going up at Garden State Park. Get real.

If you want to see unique come over to Pa. and take notes while visiting The Main Line, Chestnut Hill,West Chester,Doylestown,Media,Newtown etc etc etc.
There isn't anything in PA like the mixed use town center being built at Garden State with upscale boutiques, cafe's, restaurants.

http://www.cubellisdougherty.com/Portfolio/CompletedPortfolio/MixedUseDevelopments/TownePlaceatGardenStatePark/tabid/606/Default.aspx (broken link)

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 10-05-2008 at 06:04 AM..

Old 10-05-2008, 10:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
There isn't anything in PA like the mixed use town center being built at Garden State with upscale boutiques, cafe's, restaurants.

Towne Place at Garden State Park (http://www.cubellisdougherty.com/Portfolio/CompletedPortfolio/MixedUseDevelopments/TownePlaceatGardenStatePark/tabid/606/Default.aspx - broken link)
^^And this is a bad thing?^^

Unfortunately you are incorrect though. You really need to get out of your 38-70-73 bubble. I dont agree with your assertion that these bogus Lifestyle development centers are an asset, but your statement regarding the absence of these cheezy,fake, wannabe towns in PA is 100% false. Much to my chagrin.

These phony downtowns have been pock marking the Pa burbs for the past 20 years and there are currently a couple gargantuan ones being built in King of Prussia and Malvern that will make Garden State Park look like a 1970 circa strip mall. Unlike Garden State Park which is/has been stalled these 2 humongous developments located in the epicenter of Philadelphia metro areas wealth are full bore ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey