Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Key word Surburbs. Look at the city of Philadelphia. It's a combat zone. Camden, NJ is just an extension of Killadelphia on the NJ side. In my opinion, Camden should be annexed to Philadelphia, because I see no difference between Filthadelphia and Campden.

Detroit is a filthy war-zone, but it has wealthy suburbs too. Almost every city has a wealthy suburb or two. Philadelphia is one example of ignored urban blight. That's not a good sign when there are very wealthy suburbs outside of Heavily decayed cities. You know why? It's because these rich wealthy corporate fatcats or the city government did nothing to try to reverse this urban blight and took all the local tax revenue and lined their pockets with it. Meanwhile the residents lost all hope for the city and said "what the hell, we might as well let it decay down to a drug ridden, murder zone, we still have this sheltered suburb where nobody will hurt us"

And your defense to the accusation of being a troll is very weak when you claim to "spank" somebody. Wow, very intelligent retort.
Excellent post. Philly is the poorest, most crime-ridden large city in the world. Rocker is great with statistics but bad with interpretation. As I posted numerous times, comparing PA to NJ is apples to orange. NJ, and south jersey in particular, has a high concentration of affordable housing and condos and therefore, fewer single family homes that, of course, cost more. This shows up in the housing and income numbers as well because, obviously, the lower income folks tend to gravitate to either multi-family dwellings, condos, etc because they can't afford a 4 bedroom house in NJ. So there is a much greater diversity of condo stock in NJ, even prestigious towns like Moorestown have some lower income folks. The bottom line is if PA had the same concentration of 'affordable housing' as NJ, no county in PA would be anywhere near the top in the region or the nation in income.

Now what's really funny is that Gladwyne, PA claims it is the richest zip code in America, why? Because nobody lives there and you can't even buy a normal house - most of the town is concentrated with mansions. The town has no main street, amenities of any kind. So it is grossly misleading and not an indication of PA's superiority but of the inane way it was developed. No moxy. I could take 3,000 residents in a real town like Moorestown and claim the highest incomes in the country. And BTW, one of the largest estates in the world was just built in Moorestown, NJ, not PA. And the #1 place to live? Not in PA.

PA = No Mas.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 10-07-2008 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Wow. This was a very interesting and at times highly entertaining thread.

My husband and I just moved here about a year ago and we live in
Southern Jersey in the Atlantic County area near Mays Landing.

Since we're dog owners, we like the fact that we live very close to some very nice parks. We love driving along the beach and beach towns. We see plenty of nice neighborhoods around here. Landscape-wise I think Southern Jersey is absolutely beautiful- from the shore towns to inland, the beaches to the Pinelands. Folks in Southern Jersey are very friendly, and we know how that can be rare in today's fast-paced society.

However, there are many gaps and niches to be filled in the Atlantic County area and many opportunities for small business owners as well as government and the community at large.

Culture-it's great here in the summer, there's plenty to do. But what about in the cold weather? Not much. There's plenty of opportunities for more diverse restaurants out here. A local sushi place that my husband and I liked just closed and I can't say how annoyed I am by that. I do love Italian food and you won't have any trouble finding that here obviously.

Go to Border Books at any time of the day in Mays Landing and you'll find that place PACKED to the max. You can never find a place to sit. Why? There's very few other places around here that people can find to read a book, enjoy a coffee, and talk to their neighbors and locals. I am not referring to bars, there's no shortage of those here.

If someone wants to open a decent coffee shop, PLEASE come to
Mays Landing, there are not many out here and I know that you'll do VERY WELL.

Museums- not a lot here. Academics and culture- we have Stockton College here, but I think they need to offer more programs to the public.

My husband and I would like to stay in this area rather than having to go to Philly for more culture and diverse food options. But we are happy to call Southern Jersey home.
You have the world at you fingertips in SJ, welcome! Great region, more development is coming down your way. You should check out points east like the quaint towns of Collingswood, Haddonfield, Medford and Moorestown. Enjoy exploring, there's lot to see and do as you already mentioned.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 PM

12 posts, read 54,593 times
Default North vs South

Im from South Jersey and most people from south jersey like the South and most people from North like the North.
Think of North jersey as a spill over from NYC.Good jobs,schools,good food.BAd traffic hi taxes small tiny bit house and no yards.
South Jersey with decent jobs,close ties to Phila, bigger houses and yards, better roads and still hi taxes but, not as bad as North.Frequent trips to the beach and AC too.
Either one we are all getting ripped off in property taxes.
Move to PA or DEL.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I grew up in Monmouth County on the shore. When I tell people here (Cherry Hill) that I'm originally from Monmouth County/The Shore, they look at me like I just grew a horn. To them, that is North Jersey. The shore is Wildwood.

Hubby and I went to get ice cream in Palmyra today. They had toppings called, jimmies. WTH is that
Oh....you mean SPRINKLES!

Shanny
where did you go to high school?

I go through the same thing all the time with telling people i'm from "the Shore" and having them say that it's "North Jersey". I got tired of telling people that the Shore Conference is Monmouth & Ocean. That Jersey Shore Medical Center is in Neptune. That all NJ literature points to the Shore (Monmouth & Ocean), Atlantic City, and Cape May.

So now I just roll my eyes and shrug.

Only with a philadelphia compass would "north jersey" be east of here.

AFA sprinkles vs. jimmies, in South Jersey i found it to be pretty mixed. It leans jimmies but a lot of people say sprinkles.

I'm not big on subs but occasionally I do get bahn mi from one of the vietnamese delis. Most people around here just call them "vietnamese hoagies" and that's really the only time I use the word.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:20 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I go through the same thing all the time with telling people i'm from "the Shore" and having them say that it's "North Jersey". I got tired of telling people that the Shore Conference is Monmouth & Ocean. That Jersey Shore Medical Center is in Neptune. That all NJ literature points to the Shore (Monmouth & Ocean), Atlantic City, and Cape May.

So now I just roll my eyes and shrug.

Only with a philadelphia compass would "north jersey" be east of here.

AFA sprinkles vs. jimmies, in South Jersey i found it to be pretty mixed. It leans jimmies but a lot of people say sprinkles.
I think jimmie could also be a bookie in philly

Btw don't waste your time arguing geography with locals here,they know it all even though they've rarely been outside their neighborhood

Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I think jimmie could also be a bookie in philly

Btw don't waste your time arguing geography with locals here,they know it all even though they've rarely been outside their neighborhood
haha. ain't that the truth.

about two years ago I was getting new couches delivered. These two puerto rican guys were on the delivery truck. They both seemed nice enough but at the same time seemed nervous and hurried. As they were leaving the driver said, "it's kinda rough around here, ain't it." I laughed and said, "no, not at all." then he said "oh, i don't know, you got them asian gangs down here and . . . (as he nodded to two black kids on the corner)" I asked them where they were from figuring they were going to tell me somewhere in North Jersey since the truck was from Elizabeth and he said . . . . and get this . . . "Front & Allegheny"

Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Excellent post. Philly is the poorest, most crime-ridden large city in the world. Rocker is great with statistics but bad with interpretation. As I posted numerous times, comparing PA to NJ is apples to orange. NJ, and south jersey in particular, has a high concentration of affordable housing and condos and therefore, fewer single family homes that, of course, cost more. This shows up in the housing and income numbers as well because, obviously, the lower income folks tend to gravitate to either multi-family dwellings, condos, etc because they can't afford a 4 bedroom house in NJ. So there is a much greater diversity of condo stock in NJ, even prestigious towns like Moorestown have some lower income folks. The bottom line is if PA had the same concentration of 'affordable housing' as NJ, no county in PA would be anywhere near the top in the region or the nation in income.

Now what's really funny is that Gladwyne, PA claims it is the richest zip code in America, why? Because nobody lives there and you can't even buy a normal house - most of the town is concentrated with mansions. The town has no main street, amenities of any kind. So it is grossly misleading and not an indication of PA's superiority but of the inane way it was developed. No moxy. I could take 3,000 residents in a real town like Moorestown and claim the highest incomes in the country. And BTW, one of the largest estates in the world was just built in Moorestown, NJ, not PA. And the #1 place to live? Not in PA.

PA = No Mas.
In the world? You been out of Moorestown much?

Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I'm sure he has, but he gets his jollies saying things like that. It makes him feel like more of a man.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
about two years ago I was getting new couches delivered. These two puerto rican guys were on the delivery truck. They both seemed nice enough but at the same time seemed nervous and hurried. As they were leaving the driver said, "it's kinda rough around here, ain't it." I laughed and said, "no, not at all." then he said "oh, i don't know, you got them asian gangs down here and . . . (as he nodded to two black kids on the corner)" I asked them where they were from figuring they were going to tell me somewhere in North Jersey since the truck was from Elizabeth and he said . . . . and get this . . . "Front & Allegheny"
Yeah there's also alot of hearsay and paranoia that goes on in the city also
Though I've never seen asian gangs outside of maybe Toronto

Old 10-15-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Well maybe not the world but certainly the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey