Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 12:30 PM

179 posts, read 784,372 times

Advertisements

Since you'll be at the tram, what about Sandiago's? It's right there at the tram base. I have been there with the in-laws and they loved it. On my second trip with my husband, he wasn't too thrilled with the bartender's lack of knowledge of tequila and margaritas but the food was good and the sunset terrific! I like the food and always like to take visitors to either El Pinto or Casa De Benavidez. Both on are 4th and both have websites. Also, there is a Garduno's on 4th that is much better than the Garduno's near the Cottonwood Mall. If you are near the Cottonwood Mall, perhaps a trip to Little Anitas (may be too casual and may only have a license to sell beer). Great food, where the locals go but not so much as to ambiance. The Little Anitas in Old Town Albuquerque is much nicer and the food is still great (this location has a full liquor license). Where ever you go, please come back and let us know where you went and what you thought! There are so many of us back east wishing we could get some/any kind of NM food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM

153 posts, read 759,536 times
Thank you for the suggestions! Hubby wanted to take them out to Chinese food...LOL but I said no. We have tons of great NM food down here in Socorro so he always wants something different when we go to Abq. I've never seen that Sandiago's near the tram. Maybe we'll check that out.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 PM

You're welcome. I hope you have a great meal and a great time. If you plan on being there near sunset, you may want to make a reservation. The place gets busy. Don't forget to update us. Also, I've been to a nice Chinese restaurant in Albuquerque....Chow's Chinese Bistro on Juan Tabo (in a small strip mall). I met a former high school classmate there. She just loves the place and I did too. If you want to humor the hubby, it's nice treat.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
Come on! You find "Gorditas" all over Mexico because Mexicans invented them. There is no such a thing as "New Mexico cuisine", which is a bland, less spicy version of Mexican cuisine. All the New Mexican dishes are found in Mexico in their original form. A lady from Norway who writes in this forum and doest know the history of the Americas, insisted that the difference between the foods of New Mexico and Mexico were the same as the difference between German and Italian foods, which come from two different races. I would say that the difference between New Mexico and Mexican food is more likely between Norway's and Sweden's (both Vikings). It's funny, the American Indians from New Mexico prefer the original Mexican cuisine because and they know that the white men modified it to please their taste.
Sorry, tito, I have to disagree. "New Mexican" food, which I equate more to northern New Mexico is considerably different in many cases that what may be found in Mexico. The long geographical isolation of that region of New Mexico from Mexico, the difference in availability of ingredients (the absence of seafood, for example, which is common in many Mexican dishes south of the border), the local evolutions of the races of chiles--all combine to make northern New Mexico food unique. The bland, less spicy comment is especially amusing. Some northern New Mexican food that I have had would just about take my head off, and I'm used to hot, spicy chiles. I think you are referring more to that Americanized Tex-Mex slop that passes for Mexican food in most places these days. I think they probably even sell some of that in Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

I tend to frequent the "hole-in-the-wall" true northern New Mexico restaurants and cafes in places like Mora, Chama, Costilla, and Tierra Amarilla in New Mexico; and Antonito, Alamosa, and San Luis in Colorado. Check some of those places out and I think you'll find New Mexican cuisine that is indeed different and very tasty.

I've got some green chile stew in the fridge--think I'll heat up some tonight . . . Oh, and the recipe for that came from a fourth generation northern New Mexican.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:28 PM

Jazzlover - You better eat all of your green chile stew because there are poor chile starved people in NJ who wish they had it. Enjoy!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:30 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Jazzlover ~ I am still looking at about 8 months before we can move to northern NM ..... and you are truly making my mouth water with all this talk about New Mexican cuisine. Spicy works for me!

If you have favorite restaurants in the towns you mentioned, can you post them so I can make a list???

Old 05-09-2007, 04:32 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
jersey2nm ~ We sound desperate and pathetic, don't we? LOL

Old 05-09-2007, 04:48 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
There is no such a thing as "New Mexico cuisine", which is a bland, less spicy version of Mexican cuisine. All the New Mexican dishes are found in Mexico in their original form.
This is inaccurate.

There is indeed a sizable difference between New Mexican cuisine and Mexican cuisine. Spend days eating at New Mexican restaurants in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, etc. and then spend days eating in Ciudad Juarez, El Paso TX, or Ciudad de Chihuahua...huge difference in the cuisines. Sure...there are many, many similarities.

However, things like breakfast burritos w/ green or red chile or sopapillas are distinctively New Mexican cuisine; you won't find these items on authentic Mexican menus.

Also, as a general rule, New Mexican cuisine is MUCH spicier than Mexican cuisine. This is a general misconception many people from the north of the U.S. has - that Mexican food is terribly spicy. While some Mexican food is spicy, much authentic Mexican cuisine isn't terribly spicy. Things like pico de gallo (Mexican) are used more than things like chile (New Mexican staple) - pico is not spicy, chiles assuredly are.

While you can find some items that aren't spicy in New Mexican cuisine, due to the liberal usage of chiles in New Mexican cuisine, New Mexican as a whole is far, far "hotter" than Mexican.

To say that New Mexican food is "bland" indicates not much experience eating it.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
I would argue that the New Mexican food from southern NM is just as New Mexican as northern NM food. The Hatch and Mesilla Valleys offer of no-holes-bared the best chiles in the state and make for some great food and is not at all Tex-Mex.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,845 times
I have eaten hamburgers in Mexico and I can assure you that they are true "Mexican Cuisine", because they have no resemblance at all with American Hamburgers, for one thing the beef comes from Mexican cattle and the ketchup is made from Mexican tomatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico