Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,315 times

Advertisements

If you leave your house and you think it might rain...take an umbrella. If you go for a walk in the heat...wear shoes. If you are making a major purchase...you may want a credit card. If you go for a drive...you have your drivers license. If you are from one of the 4 states listed you carry a copy of your birth certificate.

There are many states that have varying laws. For instance, in South Dakota you can drink certain alcohol at 18. Some states have medical marijuana laws that aren't accepted in other states. Some states have differring gun laws. Some cities have curfews. Many cities have differring smoking laws. Not knowing about these laws doesn't get you off if you are charged.

We are all responsible for knowing the laws and living within them. Sometimes we are inconvienenced because of them. But when you know what's expected you just do what you have to do to limit the inconvienience. I always carry my drivers license, insurance card for my vehicle, and my health, my credit card, and the phone number of who should be contacted in an emergency. If you don't want to be inconvienced, be prepared. If you aren't prepared...well then it could cause you delay. If you don't break the law it shouldn't be an issue but we all know accidents can happen. Just be prepared and no problem.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:09 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times
Your birth certificate proves only where you were born, not your citizenship.

If we carried my son's BC as proof of his legal status, it would prove nothing and he could be held until we provided something else.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I've been over that same route several times in the last couple months and I can just
about guarantee you that you went through at least 4 photo enforcement speed traps...

Just west of Williams
Just east of Flagstaff
Just west of Holbrook near the Petrified Forest turnoff
And near all those Indian tourist traps shortly before the NM border..

And, no, they didn't get me going either direction...
Arizona has shut down all of its cameras on the freeways as of July 15, 2010. Each city may still have its red light cameras, but the state shut down all its cameras. It is the WILD WEST again!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 AM

863 posts, read 795,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Your birth certificate proves only where you were born, not your citizenship.

If we carried my son's BC as proof of his legal status, it would prove nothing and he could be held until we provided something else.
Hmmm...straight from Customs and Immigrations page, If you were born in the United States then "Your birth certificate provides proof of citizenship."

And your certified birth certificate is the primary means of proving citizenship when applying for a passport.

Unless your son wasn't born in the US, not sure why you would say this Karma?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:52 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Hmmm...straight from Customs and Immigrations page, If you were born in the United States then "Your birth certificate provides proof of citizenship."

And your certified birth certificate is the primary means of proving citizenship when applying for a passport.

Unless your son wasn't born in the US, not sure why you would say this Karma?
If the new anti-"anchor baby" legislation that some AZ lawmakers are pushing becomes law, then a US bc would no longer be adequate proof of citizenship. You'd also need your parent's bcs.
This is where AZ is headed...and it's pathetic.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
An anti-anchor baby law that actually passed would be the best thing that ever happened to this country.

They're costing us a fortune. I don't care what I have to carry as a US citizen in my own country. I'll go for almost any legislation that gets illegal aliens and their anchor babies out of the United States, and back to their own countries.

If they can't do it the right way, to hell with them.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
07-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Folks, this thread is titled "Travel warning to New Mexicans", it is specifically about travel to the state of Arizona by persons with New Mexico drivers licenses.

Please stay on the above topic or your post will most likely be removed.

We have a specific "Legal Immigration" forum at https://www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/ and an "Illegal Immigration" forum at https://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/

Thank you in advance.
This thread is closed.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-18-2010 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico