Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,753,041 times

Advertisements

Cav, I tried to rep you on that post but I couldn't as I've apparently repped you
too often recently.. LOL!!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
How about a penny, or is that too much also? Us old farts are doing just fine here in AZ, but I have to warn you, we will be in New Mexico in less than 2 months for about 10 days.
Sorry JDTH, I forgot to put one of these in that post.
I was trying to be funny/sarcastic, believe me, New mexico has plenty of old farts too.
I'm glad I'm not traveling to AZ though, I'm kinda brown.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 PM

34 posts, read 157,277 times
Pancho_NM: While I offer any opinion I have with humility and a willingness to be wrong, after reading the document (Arizona Legislative provisions for SB 1070) again, I am really having trouble agreeing with you. It states, under the 'enforcement' section, that an officer may stop anyone for a legitimate reason, ie: any infraction of the law, and may request proof of citizenship in any such circumstance; if an individual is unable to provide proof, they may be transported immediately to a federal prison in AZ or any state; after said imprisonment, the individual may then be transported to the custody of immigration. I welcome any clarification you can offer that may help me see your point of view.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,278,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papillonailes View Post
if an individual is unable to provide proof, they may be transported immediately to a federal prison in AZ or any state; after said imprisonment, the individual may then be transported to the custody of immigration. I welcome any clarification you can offer that may help me see your point of view.
Ah, and there's the rub. the feds can tell the cop to get lost and take his prisoner elsewhere. Can't wait to see what AZ does when its prisons become overloaded and they have to start releasing real criminals because of all the illegals. And don't think they can just stick them anywhere or send them back across the border. A Federal judge will make sure they're treated humanely, at great expense to the citizens of the state. These grandiose ideas quickly lose their luster when the local taxpayers are left picking up the tab. We have a county next door to us here in Northern VA that learned that lesson the hard wahy when they tried to do the same thing as AZ.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-09-2010 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 PM

34 posts, read 157,277 times
Addendum to my last post....I see my error (though it seems a bit like splitting hairs).....you will be 'detained' until your citizenship status is established; then if it is found you are an illegal, you will be sent to federal prison. I still have trouble seeing how this is not a violation of human rights and the Constitution. I think there are better ways to address the immigration issue. I think there may be a little politicking here, ie: Arizona lawmakers may think that if they enact an obviously backwards law, the Federal government might react by taking action on the immigration issue that is satisfactory to them. Seems like a bit of a stretch.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I am curious as to why a State would give illegals driver license. I can't imagine the reasoning behind that.
You are assuming some issues.

1. The drivers license is issued to anyone who passes the drivers test. It is not meant is establish citizenship.

2. New Mexico has a high incidence of highway deaths, drivers without a license to drive, or insurance to possibly cover damages they cause.

Quote:
So, your saying illegals have driver lincense. Well, I guess we're asking for the problems we have then.
No, a New Mexico drivers license is a permit to drive a car/truck/vehicle/motorcycle etc. So no, we are not asking for the problems.

Technically, it is not even a problem yet because the Arizona Law which this thread is about has not yet taken effect.

Rich

Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Addendum to my last post....I see my error (though it seems a bit like splitting hairs).....
It might not be splitting hairs when you are the one with the cuffs on your wrists...

Quote:
you will be 'detained' until your citizenship status is established; then if it is found you are an illegal, you will be sent to federal prison.

I still have trouble seeing how this is not a violation of human rights and the Constitution.
What detaining an individual suspected of committing a crime? How is that any different than a suspected bank robber, murderer, rapist, child molester, thief. But that is not the topic of this thread.

Quote:
I think there are better ways to address the immigration issue.
Probably many different ways. People have been saying that since the early 1900's. But that also is not the topic of this thread.

Quote:
I think there may be a little politicking here, ie: Arizona lawmakers may think that if they enact an obviously backwards law, the Federal government might react by taking action on the immigration issue that is satisfactory to them. Seems like a bit of a stretch.
Arizona has passed a law that makes it a violation of state law to be an illegal alien in the state of Arizona...

But the issue is, the New Mexico Drivers license is not proof of citizenship and some people feel that New Mexican's may be arrested if they do not carry extra documentation if they travel to Arizona.

Rich

Old 07-10-2010, 05:40 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,347,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Because issuance of drivers license is a state responsibility while immigration is the perview of the Federal government. States should have the right to determine their licensing policies and practices without being dictated to by the Federal Government. Next the feds will tell the states they can't issue marriage licenses to anyone who hasn't established legal presence or met some other Federal requirement. I'm glad to see NM standing up to Federal overreach.
Well than I guess Arizona needs to figure out what to do if they issue driver's license. I am not sure what kind of papers an American would have then. Most people do not have passports. Well anyway as everyone says it is a State thing so let them figure out what and how to do it. It shouldn't be the rest of us business. I sure don't want the FEDS getting involved with us Okies.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Addendum to my last post....I see my error (though it seems a bit like splitting hairs).....you will be 'detained' until your citizenship status is established; then if it is found you are an illegal, you will be sent to federal prison.
How can you be sent to Federal prison under a state law? Why would the feds even have to subsequently accept any prisoners, prosecute, or deport someone because of this law? Is this going to clog up the Arizona state prisons when the feds refuse to cooperate? What would prevent the administration from pulling all border enforcement out of AZ until the law is repealed? Just askin'?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Well than I guess Arizona needs to figure out what to do if they issue driver's license. I am not sure what kind of papers an American would have then. Most people do not have passports. Well anyway as everyone says it is a State thing so let them figure out what and how to do it. It shouldn't be the rest of us business. I sure don't want the FEDS getting involved with us Okies.
Probably a good idea to get a passport and be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico