Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Isn't the real reason behind the law that it can turn any undocumented criminal into a felon?
Arizona Senate Bill 1070 http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

Quote:
13-1509. Trespassing by illegal aliens; assessment; exception;"

C. A PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A CLASS 1
MISDEMEANOR
However, possession of drugs, smuggling, etc can increase the charges to various levels of felonies.

Quote:
The problem before was that the Feds wouldn't deport based on a misdemeanor but I believe Federal policy is they have to deport felons.
No, "they" do not have to deport felons.

Quote:
Now they'll have to deport someone caught spitting on the sidewalk whereas before they served a few days, paid a fine and were cut loose.
I guess that is one way to look at it...

And if they caught an American Citizen for spitting on the sidewalk they would be charge with that crime. They would not be charged with a crime of being in the United States illegally under Arizona Senate Bill 1070. It is pretty simple, if you are caught in the state of Arizona being an "Illegal Immigrant" under US Federal Laws, you can be arrested and possibly tried for Trespassing (or more depending on the circumstances).

Quote:
Perhaps the Feds will react by no longer automatically deporting felons. Someone might want to keep track of that once the law takes effect.
But the Federal authorities never automatically deported felons. Why do you now think will react by no longer automatically deporting felons?

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-03-2010 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Fixed "CLASS 1 1 " to "CLASS 1"

Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,321,195 times
Thank you for the clarification.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,055,786 times
anyone want to guess what happens to Americans if they are caught in another country illegally?

Nita

Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,321,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
anyone want to guess what happens to Americans if they are caught in another country illegally?

Nita
Othere than the wacko countries like Iran and North Korea, probably not much. They want our dollars and don't fear we're going to displace their workers or use their social services to any great extent. Also, it's pretty hard to do as few countries require we have visas and you can't get on an international flight without a valid passport. Traveling overseas you quickly learn that being an American is a really special thing. They usually act as if they've been visited by the king.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:36 PM

5,064 posts, read 7,471,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What bearing does this have on what our country does? Are you wanting to bring back "an eye for an eye..."? We do not (thank God) model ourselves after other countries. We are Americans, we should be a model TO other countries, not the other way around!

Happy Independence Day!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,913,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
The law does not go into effect until July 29, 2010, but the undocumented are leaving here (Phoenix area) in droves.
How lucky can you get?!? Too bad illegals don't all go home.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 AM

25 posts, read 63,634 times
I intend to go with the program. I usually carry a Passport anyway, living about 70 miles from Juarez. I'll let Arizona decide what is best for them in these trying times. I imagine most folks in the other border states might be incensed a bit if about 85 miles of their state was posted as dangerous. Innocent people are dying over there from both sides, and the Federal government either can't or won't intervene decisively as they are burdened to do.

I guess the 'sign line' is now south of Interstate 8 over there. I was told when I was over that way last week that the drug cartels now have border observation posts inside the US to alert their smuggling teams to Border Patrol activity.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,237,528 times
My understanding is that a citizen of the United States who is caught as an illegal alien in Mexico is treated rather harshly, not just trucked to the border and released.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,913,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
My understanding is that a citizen of the United States who is caught as an illegal alien in Mexico is treated rather harshly, not just trucked to the border and released.
You got it.

Biggest bunch of lousy hypocrites I ever saw, and yet people like Calderon and Fox want their illegal masses here to receive special and exceptional treatment.

And.....don't even go into Mexico with empty shell casings in your car, either.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:13 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,354,075 times
Quote:
Othere than the wacko countries like Iran and North Korea, probably not much. They want our dollars and don't fear we're going to displace their workers or use their social services to any great extent. Also, it's pretty hard to do as few countries require we have visas and you can't get on an international flight without a valid passport. Traveling overseas you quickly learn that being an American is a really special thing. They usually act as if they've been visited by the king.

We lived in foreign countries for many years and we kept our passports on. I held my childrens with me. Obviously we were not on a military base but we lived way out in the middle of nowhere . Anyway, while in Yogoslavia, we had to give up our passports in the evening and they (passports) were returned to us in the morning. It was scary and I had two little ones at the time.

England makes you keep your passport on too. We're the only lazy country I know of when it comes to ID. Just try to go to Canada, they check you out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico