Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM

581 posts, read 1,174,149 times

Advertisements

yes. traveling in a foreign country you should keep your passport on you. I shouldnt have to have a passport on me if i visit arizona. says who? the US constitution.

And you are wrong, Ive traveled extensively in Canada, you are checked at the border, that is it.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:18 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,349,830 times
well I don't know a whole lot about Canada. Like you said I was checked at the border. Now in a foreign country like even say France or Germany you have to keep it on you if you travel anywhere. I was stopped for a traffic violation and had to show my passport along with my German Driver Licence. I had to take their test because I was going to be in their country many years. Same in France, we lived there and you had to have it on.

Now are you saying an American Citizen has to carry their birth certificate when visiting Arizona. I have relatives there, I think I'll give them call on that one. I had no idea Arizona was doing stupid stuff according to the news if only you were NOT an AMERICAN citizen you had to prove your work papers. Are you saying that that is not true?

My husband got stopped in New Mexico last year. we love NM and go there every year. They took a long time running him and even asked him to step out of the car. He was speeding on route 40 near 4 corners. I was quite upset being that we're definitely upper middle age but then the officer after running the car and his license became very nice and didn't even give my husband a ticket. Never know why he asked my husband (not me) to step out of the car. Is that the treatment your speaking of in Arizona? I am curious as to why you think an American Citizen is going to get harrassed in Arizona.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,042,095 times
I doubt American citizens are going to get harrased in AZ, people act like every other car is going to be stopped and people are going to be screened and put through all kinds of tests, its really not that big of a deal. For the most part, Im sure AZ cops have a fairly decent idea of who is illegal and who could possibly be illegal.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 PM

888 posts, read 1,188,299 times
AZ cops are not mind readers, and have no idea who is legal or not.
Since most illegals are of Hispanic decent, the police will most likely target individuals of Hispanic decent.
Which means that American citizens of Hispanic decent in AZ are gonna feel the brunt of the AZ law.....up close-n'-personal.

Steve

Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM

If you have a Driver's License from NM, or MD, or any other state that doesnt require citizenship then technically under the AZ law you would need another document to prove your citizenship if asked by a police officer. Im not saying the cops are going to harass everyone from those states and make them show passports, but under the new law, they can. Thats why it is unconstitutional.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
AZ cops are not mind readers, and have no idea who is legal or not.
Since most illegals are of Hispanic decent, the police will most likely target individuals of Hispanic decent.
Which means that American citizens of Hispanic decent in AZ are gonna feel the brunt of the AZ law.....up close-n'-personal.

Steve

Im sure the cops have some sort of idea who could be legal and illegal,they have lived upon the illegals and legals for so long now, I lived in a town that was 40% Hispanic, mostly Mexican(Portales) and even I can pretty much pick out who could possible be illegal and legal as most people who live there can. Of course it might take a few bad stops though, I will admit that.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
If you have a Driver's License from NM, or MD, or any other state that doesnt require citizenship then technically under the AZ law you would need another document to prove your citizenship if asked by a police officer. Im not saying the cops are going to harass everyone from those states and make them show passports, but under the new law, they can. Thats why it is unconstitutional.

the problem is issuing a NM drivers license to illegals in the first place, blame that on NM, second, just bring a birth certificate if you are worried. We all have to carry an ID and proof of insurance to be on the road anyways, whats one more item to control illegal immigration into this country.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 PM

No, the problem is, it is unconstitutional to force me, as a US citizen, to carry my "papers" to travel between states...the end.

We all want to control illegal immigration, this is not the way.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
No, the problem is, it is unconstitutional to force me, as a US citizen, to carry my "papers" to travel between states...the end.

We all want to control illegal immigration, this is not the way.
well thats just what this country has turned into, maybe if the government had tackled this issue decades ago, this wouldnt be necessary, I guess now is better than never.

and I really dont find it that big of a deal, if they want to stop me, ask for my birth certificate, then I'll show it just like I gotta show my i.d. and my proof of insurance card, its just one more paper to carry.

Dosent ABQ wanna go green anyways, then why accept all the added un-necessary resources,makes no sense to me, maybe Richardson will step up and do like those in AZ , it will help the enviroment also. For all those that try to conseve resources, there are many more born into this country and many more who are migrating here using those same resources, one way to look at it.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,845,029 times
Folks, this thread is titled "Travel warning to New Mexicans", it is specifically about travel to the state of Arizona by persons with New Mexico drivers licenses.

Please stay on the above topic or your post will most likely be removed.

We have a specific "Legal Immigration" forum at https://www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/ and an "Illegal Immigration" forum at https://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/

Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico