Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You could hand the cop a copy of the Constitution with the Privileges and Immunities Clause underlined, which I believe would be the right of yours they would be violating:

Privileges and Immunities Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are you an attorney? You appear to be giving legal advice.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:30 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,428,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I'm one of those who is kept busy scratching my head about why the foreign - nay, ALIEN - elements are being allowed to destroy our culture.
I had the impression these elements were creating and enriching our culture. There is no element I would consider "alien" to the U.S. What would American culture be if we weren't a bunch of mutts in a melting pot? Particularly here in New Mexico, where, honestly, the division between Mexico and U.S. is quite blurred and has been for quite some time. The entire Southwest represents multiple overlapping of cultures.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,104,257 times
Since the NM DL is worthless as ID (thank our worthless governor), it's wise to carry your passport anytime you leave the state. Keep in mind, the new AZ law won't affect you unless you are stopped by law enforcement in commission of a crime or motor vehicle violation. Then, and only then, is the officer authorized to ask for proof of citizenship IF he/she suspects you are an illegal. There are many things that tip off an officer: not just appearance! For example: body language/movement, speech patterns (not just accents), clothing, haircut, smell, etc. Obey the law and act respectful and you will be fine.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-17-2010 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Restored

Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM

888 posts, read 1,187,590 times
Driving While Black.
At one time, the Maryland State Police was stopping black motorists for alleged traffic violations, then doing full vehicle drug searches.
Once the practice became known, it was ended.
The idea that brown skinned drivers, would be stopped in AZ for alleged traffic violations.....never crossed my mind??

Steve

Old 07-02-2010, 06:53 PM

259 posts, read 851,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
U.S. Military ID is not proof of U.S. Citizenship.

We have many non U.S. Citizens serving in the U.S. Military.

Rich
Crap....forgot about that.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Do you have to show proof of citizenship or just that you're here legally? Wouldn't a military ID satisfy the latter?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,349 times
More reason to keep my money in New Mexico. And if I go to California, I'll look forward to a nice trip there via Utah and Nevada.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:27 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,752,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Driving While Black.
At one time, the Maryland State Police was stopping black motorists for alleged traffic violations, then doing full vehicle drug searches.
Once the practice became known, it was ended.
The idea that brown skinned drivers, would be stopped in AZ for alleged traffic violations.....never crossed my mind??

Steve
I do not know if this is still done, but at the time you're talking about, MD drivers'
licenses were numerically coded for race. If your license number started with a 1,
you were black and the cops used that as a substitute for other derogatory phrases..

"I stopped this Number One and..." or "Whatta ya expect, he's just a Number One.."
were common examples of "code talk". In the mid-70s I was in retail and the store
chain I worked for employed off-duty PG County cops in full uniform as security guards
so I heard this day-in and day-out..

I have no doubt that there will be abuses of the AZ law, but there were plenty
of examples long, long before it came into being so what really needs to be addressed
is BEHAVIOR. Blaming the AZ law for abuses is looking through the wrong end of
the telescope..

Old 07-02-2010, 09:16 PM

259 posts, read 851,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Do you have to show proof of citizenship or just that you're here legally? Wouldn't a military ID satisfy the latter?
I'm guessing it would prove you're here legally since you can't join if you're here illegally.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 PM

4,873 posts, read 4,814,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
More reason to keep my money in New Mexico. And if I go to California, I'll look forward to a nice trip there via Utah and Nevada.
It seems to me that a lot of folks here are worried about nothing. I hadn't plan a trip to Arizona in the near future, but I think I'll look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico