Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:23 PM

327 posts, read 398,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Yep. We've gotten all kinds of accolades over the past few years as far as being a great place to do business. We've also been one of the fastest growing cities for the past few years, which can't be accounted for solely by Katrina returnees. I meet tons of young transplants- the "best and the brightest" that we once hemorrhaged to Dallas, Atlanta, etc. The economy is growing and New Orleans is "hot". Oh, and the murder rate fell last year and the new year has started out even lower- we had 26 murders by this time in 2012 and only 7 this year.

Murder rates are total BS. You don't evaluate a city that way. Most people murdered are caught up in a lot of nonsense, and illegal activity, and the rest are from domestic disputes. It is very, very, very rare that people get murdered randomly.

Some of you need to get out more.

Also, learn to protect yourself. Get a gun. Learn how to use it, especially if you are a woman or a wimpy man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:54 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson702 View Post
Murder rates are total BS. You don't evaluate a city that way. Most people murdered are caught up in a lot of nonsense, and illegal activity, and the rest are from domestic disputes. It is very, very, very rare that people get murdered randomly.

Some of you need to get out more.

Also, learn to protect yourself. Get a gun. Learn how to use it, especially if you are a woman or a wimpy man.
Lol Where did this come from?

Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 AM

860 posts, read 1,193,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lol Where did this come from?
I think Hans and Franz are posting here. ARE YOU A WHIMPY MAN!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 AM

144 posts, read 205,215 times
Stupid post. New Orleans is flourishing despite the crime and my view on New Orleans is get out of the Quarter by 9PM to avoid the drunk, freak shows and violence. So I am not one of these folks that is inept to what goes on at night. With that being said, it's a wonderful place that has access to many family friendly neighborhoods without all of the negative.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I've been trying to leave you alone, but please spare us the faux patronage. And stop the predictable deflecting while trying to sound balanced about New Orleans. You clearly are not as we all can see. Another poster asked "Whats new in New Orleans". Your response was "high crime, expensive housing, and no jobs". There is a litany of things that come to my mind in reference to what's new in this city. But people like you don't want that truth. If you moved here and can't find a job, a safe area to live, or a place you can afford...its probably due to user error. The thousands of people who have moved here since 2010, including myself, haven't had an issue.
I'd give you a thumbs up but I give them to you way too often anyways. A lot of people that are used to NOLA being the corrupt crime ridden city that it is don't want to know that truth. Crime is still ridiculous and there is a lot of poverty but things are changing very fast in a lot of ways. I'm pretty excited to see what this town and even this state will be like in 10 years and I've never felt that way before.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:14 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I'd give you a thumbs up but I give them to you way too often anyways. A lot of people that are used to NOLA being the corrupt crime ridden city that it is don't want to know that truth. Crime is still ridiculous and there is a lot of poverty but things are changing very fast in a lot of ways. I'm pretty excited to see what this town and even this state will be like in 10 years and I've never felt that way before.
Right on

Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Sounds great, until another Jindal get's elected.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:48 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
The changes that have been happening here have been occurring during Jindal's tenure, or in some cases partially because of him. As much as he's been a train wreck on everything else, he's helped to bring a very diverse industry base to the city / region that wasn't here before Katrina. Too bad he couldn't care less about environmental concerns, civil rights, having a balanced budget, silly little "rainy day" funds (aka hurricane god help us money ... we're overdue btw and it's been a really warm spring), or any economic gains for the top half of the state.

All he seems to really care about is growing industry, cutting taxes, and being a good little born again politician ... Just like anybody who wants to campaign in Iowa.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:28 AM

10 posts, read 28,680 times
I cannot comprehend how the United States government has not done something to assist New Orleans. There is no excuse to let it get as bad as they did.

Immediately after the hurricane, it should have been repaired physically and socially. It could have been done, it has happened in Queensland in Australia. They put themselves into a drastic amount of debt but it is the right thing to do.

It should always be Citizens > Money in my opinion.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3000_17 View Post
I cannot comprehend how the United States government has not done something to assist New Orleans. There is no excuse to let it get as bad as they did.

Immediately after the hurricane, it should have been repaired physically and socially. It could have been done, it has happened in Queensland in Australia. They put themselves into a drastic amount of debt but it is the right thing to do.

It should always be Citizens > Money in my opinion.
Let's not forget that just 8 months prior to the flood of Katrina our country as a whole had just sent millions of dollars to Thailand for tsunami relief. I was in college at the time and I remember being outraged at the persistent uproar about Asia's devastation, yet when Katrina happened no one said a word. They all were so anxious to throw their money overseas but left people in New Orleans to struggle and die.

Then again, I was attending a baptist school in Marshall, TX and many evangelicals demonized New Orleans and felt that it was the wrath of god. They somehow felt that this city deserved it...I even remember my own uncle(who is now deceased, but was a pastor in Shreveport at the time) preaching that the word Katrina means "to clean" and that god was tired of the partying and revelry in New Orleans. It still makes me livid. Coincidentally, that same uncle opened an evacuee shelter, which showed me that he didn't realize how hateful and self-righteous his message was.

The overall indignation I felt for how New Orleanians were treated quickly became of fervent love for this city and would eventually cause me to relocate my business and family here. I've been here almost 2 years now.

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 05-16-2015 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans