Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 10:48 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times

Advertisements

Deal with your own in Marrero. Take your finger wagging elsewhere...this city and its people have withstood enough. You don't know that the city is not below sea level largely...and you don't know that there is a new administration in office (good people too as I know some of them personally), and even during Katrina 80%, EIGHTY percent of the population did evacuate.

You obviously don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:49 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
There are too many things wrong here.. I forgot what I was even going to type after reading.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 PM

307 posts, read 802,262 times
You do realize a lot of the folks who didn't leave COULDN'T leave, right? That's always been my understanding. Folks who were too poor or too old for a trip of any distance. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Obviously you're TRYING to make some point...what it is, I don't know.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:09 PM

I think the Gustav evacuation proved that people know what to do when a storm comes. I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
No, you don't understand if you wana stay in New Orleans with a class 5 hurricane heading for the mouth of the river that's your choice and you have every right to do so, but in many states they have this thang called marshal law where you are not allowed on the streets, no fire or police protection will be had during or after the storm untill marshall law is lifted, of course by you staying in your house with no power and flushing toilets to the lift stations that aren't working you may be pumping shi! in my house, so don't cry to me when some cop that's been living on adrenilne for a few days not knowing how his family is doing or what idiot is gona blow his head off blows your head off instead, GEEZ NEW ORLEANS get it together.
Marshall Law was an Australian Television show. Martial Law is what I think you are trying to refer to.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:02 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Deal with your own in Marrero. Take your finger wagging elsewhere...this city and its people have withstood enough. You don't know that the city is not below sea level largely...and you don't know that there is a new administration in office (good people too as I know some of them personally), and even during Katrina 80%, EIGHTY percent of the population did evacuate.

You obviously don't have a clue.
First I promise ya I've been around and know New Orleans as well as anyone, they got this thang called a car and a job and I've used both plenty.
Second if you don't want to go with my assesment of the vulnerability on New Orleans in a class 3+ stronger Hurricane maybe you outa read National Geographic once in a while, and look at the way the scientist and others that work for them see it.
Much of New Orleans is under sea level. The further you get away from the river the lower the sea level. The land next to the river has been built up over centuries of floods, in fact the french quarter is basicaly a giant sand bar that the first settlers built on. It's really quit interesting to read about for sure you could use a little education.
True years ago people largely road out storms at home, and many never made it, that's how the fine west bank town of westwego was started. They lived closer to the gulf and were wiped out, now the gulf is moving closer to us and those huge cypress swamps are long gone. We are many times more vulnerable than we were just 20 years ago or 10 years ago for that fact.
Who care about a new administration when it comes to a class 3+ hurricane hitting New orleans, when this happens the only thang to do is leave and I sure don't need a politician to tell me that(corrupt azz damn louisiana politician aint looking out for me or my family) and I'm making sure all my family, dogs included is leaving with me. Hope this helps.
Oh yea, I almost forgot 80% evacuated and another 10% got in there cars and evacuated to the superdome, while 3% of the most vulnerable evacuated to the superdome without cars and 10% stayed put. It was truely mind boggeling to see all the cars parked around the dome, course they all flooded out, 1,000's and 1,000's and 1,000's yea I was back pretty quick to work the rebuild.

Last edited by waitingtundra; 08-16-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 06:09 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
First I promise ya I've been around and know New Orleans as well as anyone, they got this thang called a car and a job and I've used both plenty.
Second if you don't want to go with my assesment of the vulnerability on New Orleans in a class 3+ stronger Hurricane maybe you outa read National Geographic once in a while, and look at the way the scientist and others that work for them see it.
Much of New Orleans is under sea level. The further you get away from the river the lower the sea level. The land next to the river has been built up over centuries of floods, in fact the french quarter is basicaly a giant sand bar that the first settlers built on. It's really quit interesting to read about for sure you could use a little education.
True years ago people largely road out storms at home, and many never made it, that's how the fine west bank town of westwego was started. They lived closer to the gulf and were wiped out, now the gulf is moving closer to us and those huge cypress swamps are long gone. We are many times more vulnerable than we were just 20 years ago or 10 years ago for that fact.
Who care about a new administration when it comes to a class 3+ hurricane hitting New orleans, when this happens the only thang to do is leave and I sure don't need a politician to tell me that(corrupt azz damn louisiana politician aint looking out for me or my family) and I'm making sure all my family, dogs included is leaving with me. Hope this helps.
I actually have the NG issue that came out about 2 years BEFORE Katrina describing how a CAT3 would likely wreck a large part of the city. Then along comes Katrina, the 5th strongest storm in recorded history (atlantic) and voila....the 28th or so hurricane *wrecking* of a sizable chunk of NO since it's founding.

They also showed maps of the cypress swamps eroding over the decades and how that would make NO more vulnerable to storm surge.

Made me really shake my head when several jerks accused the govt. or whomever they had an axe to grind with of deliberately wrecking the levees.

Best of luck to NO, it's been through a lot and quite likely in our lifetime will get hammered again by a CAT4+, especially with these warmer ocean temps.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM

1. At least 50% of New Orleans is at or above sea level.
2. As I recall, last evacuation we had 95% if the city was emptied out and anyone who left their home after that point was arrested.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
[quote=Mathguy;15501240]I actually have the NG issue that came out about 2 years BEFORE Katrina describing how a CAT3 would likely wreck a large part of the city. Then along comes Katrina, the 5th strongest storm in recorded history (atlantic) and voila....the 28th or so hurricane *wrecking* of a sizable chunk of NO since it's founding.

The really scary thang is that Katrina was no where near the worse case that the NG issue was talking about, trust me, thirty miles further west and Katrina would have knocked out most of the buildings in the New Orleans area and the death toll would have been in the 10's of 1,000's, just somethan to thank about, a little knowledge I picked up from NG and from my old man when he explained to me about how to deal with hurricanes in southeast louisiana, by the wat keep up with your flood insurance is a good policy to live by also.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
[quote=waitingtundra;15501951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I actually have the NG issue that came out about 2 years BEFORE Katrina describing how a CAT3 would likely wreck a large part of the city. Then along comes Katrina, the 5th strongest storm in recorded history (atlantic) and voila....the 28th or so hurricane *wrecking* of a sizable chunk of NO since it's founding.

The really scary thang is that Katrina was no where near the worse case that the NG issue was talking about, trust me, thirty miles further west and Katrina would have knocked out most of the buildings in the New Orleans area and the death toll would have been in the 10's of 1,000's, just somethan to thank about, a little knowledge I picked up from NG and from my old man when he explained to me about how to deal with hurricanes in southeast louisiana, by the wat keep up with your flood insurance is a good policy to live by also.
Yeah. Katrina was a freakishly huge and powerful storm. Really, all CAT3's for example are not created equal since that only accounts for windspeed.

Wait for when one finally gets around to rolling over Miami again. Really, with the gulf water temperatures....it's a when not an if for most of the cities along the coast and the odds of it being a "bad" one has gone up.

P.S. The average elevation of the state of Florida....is 6 feet above sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans