Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
Sure, we got money that we're just seeing now.
Unless you LIVE here, you can't pretend to understand how the government dropped the ball on helping fix this place.
amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM

400 posts, read 1,238,064 times
Misery-
Please, clue me in- I couldn't stand to read 9 pages of problems. I have lived my entire life in Iowa and South Dakota and have spent my entire life feeling like my heart calls me south. Louisiana seems to call to a very deep, primal part of my soul. As soon as my family can manage, we plan to move to you're beautiful state. Maybe not NOLA, it's a little big for my taste, but close enough that we can come in for the day to do volunteer work. As I watched the coverage of Katrina and the aftermath, I cried, wanting to be there to help people who so desperately needed someone to care.
I don't want to drag my family to a place that could be truely dangerous or that could be a step backwards for us. But, still, as I said, I want to be there to help, to contribute, to live. I feel like I need to do what I can to help while being a part of a place that has called to me all my life.
So, please tell me the good, the bad, the ugly and the soul stirring. I want to be able to offer my family the truth and the hope and promise of what could be our future.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM

100 posts, read 392,161 times
New Orleans will be okay.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the stimulus package might help the high speed rail development btw Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

I'd say that Crime, Cleanliness, and affordable housing are issues that need to be worked on...but people understand that New Orleans is recovering from a huge disaster. It will take time.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 AM

11 posts, read 48,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnative53 View Post
New Orleans will never cease to exist, can everyone say that all together at once. Levees may break again and again and again, murders will persist again and again and again, people will leave the city and people will come, politicians will be in office and they will leave office, the tides will rise and they will fall over and over again, you may feel god is punishing new orleans, you may feel new orleans is in gods graces, in the end the only guarantee we all have is that the fate of our lives lie in our hands, the places we inhabit will be only as beautiful and peaceful or destructive and violent as we allow them to become. New Orleans like other cities will have to hit it's bottom hard enough every citizen demands more. Anyone remember what Manhattan was like thirty forty years ago. Now its one of the safest large cities in the country. I don't think the people of this city are going to let this place go under for good. The current that will wash out what evil plagues the streets will not come from any storm it will come from the citizens who take back what is thier's.
That was probably the best post on here!

Look at other cities like Las Vegas, Amsterdam, Ibiza, etc... They have the "sin" reputation as well. Where is God striking down there?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,727 times
Thumbs up Suit of Armor

I have lived in nola several times both before and after Katrina. I lived in a couple of terrible neighborhoods in mid-city and carrolton and a nicer one in the marigny. I am happy to say that I never had a problem with crime whatsoever with the exception of getting ripped off trying to buy weed (this is when I was much younger). The down and dirty of it is that you have to be street smart. If you walk up on a group of guys who are eyeing you, ask them for a quarter or a cigarette. Walk with confidence and show no fear. The city is just like the forest. The prey are always the weakest members of a species. Let the predators know that you are not their mark. I've never had to physically defend myself, but I know how. Take a self-defense course if you lack confidence. It's all about how you carry yourself. You have to know the language of the walk, and the talk for that matter. Know how to spot a hustler. Use your ears, eyes, and instincts and you will have no problems. Also, as both a cook and a musician, I know that wearing chef pants or carrying an instrument is like a suit of amor in most of N.O......Remember: Fear is your worst enemy.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD snowbird View Post
Misery-
Please, clue me in- I couldn't stand to read 9 pages of problems. I have lived my entire life in Iowa and South Dakota and have spent my entire life feeling like my heart calls me south. Louisiana seems to call to a very deep, primal part of my soul. As soon as my family can manage, we plan to move to you're beautiful state. Maybe not NOLA, it's a little big for my taste, but close enough that we can come in for the day to do volunteer work. As I watched the coverage of Katrina and the aftermath, I cried, wanting to be there to help people who so desperately needed someone to care.
I don't want to drag my family to a place that could be truely dangerous or that could be a step backwards for us. But, still, as I said, I want to be there to help, to contribute, to live. I feel like I need to do what I can to help while being a part of a place that has called to me all my life.
So, please tell me the good, the bad, the ugly and the soul stirring. I want to be able to offer my family the truth and the hope and promise of what could be our future.

People like you are what we're LOOKING for.
Drag the family down and live in the burbs, whatever.
Nola isn't a cesspool, it's just broken and all the hands willing to help only make everyone's lives easier.

Crime is the biggest obstacle we have down here.
If that can be harnessed, this city will be better than ever, that's the big IF.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,064 times
I'm still considering teaching in New Orleans and applied through teachNOLA even after reading these 85 posts. I like the idea of being part of the solution in educating the youth. Where is the safest place to live on a teacher's salary? Should I worry about my safety in teaching at most at-risk charter schools? Any info would be much appreciated.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM

117 posts, read 257,545 times
New Orleans definitely has some problems. I moved away for 3 years, but just HAD to come back. I don't know why. I guess it's something about this city that keeps calling me back.

Things have definitely changed here. And the reason for the high crime-rate is the lack of police presence. It's as simple as that. I would still consider New Orleans a mid-sized city, and a mid-sized city requires a strong police force, and that's just NOT happening right now.

I also find it interesting that we can have so many murders here, but when something happens to a white lady in the french quarter it's national news... it's just pathetic.

Anyways, what's going on with all the Palm Trees Now? They are just ALL OVER THE PLACE. Feels like I'm back in California or something.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserylovesco. View Post
Sure, we got money that we're just seeing now.
Unless you LIVE here, you can't pretend to understand how the government dropped the ball on helping fix this place.
The entitlement mentality is still alive & strong in NOLA I see.....

Old 02-10-2009, 02:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
The entitlement mentality is still alive & strong in NOLA I see.....
that is the main problem with Louisiana in general. It has always been a state of "what can you do for me?". that is exactly why we rank 50th in most state rankings. We never try to do for ourselves.
It is not the govts job to rebuild Louisiana or New Orleans it is OUR JOB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans