Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 PM

317 posts, read 579,171 times

Advertisements

I've been applying to these lotteries for YEARS. I use to get so upset because after I submitted my application I'd never hear back not even a letter recognizing my application and letting me know I was wait listed. I think they need to change that and notify applicants because it puts people minds at ease just knowing their personal info is just not out there somewhere. I applied to the Boricua Village (which is managed by Knickerbocker) back in Nov 09. I never heard from them either until I got a letter in the mail last summer for an interview. Needless to say I was soooooooo happy. I was " wow they actually do call people for these apts". As soon as I moved into my new apt last September I was told by my boyfriend that they finished the apts at the Bruckner. I was surprised because they were put up really quick. I was thinking about putting in an application there also. I signed a 2 year lease here and i figured that was best especially with the rent increase now at least I know I'm locked into my set rent until the end of 2012. This experience has re-newed my faith in the lottery for affordable housing. Im so happy too because my last apt I was paying 1300 for a 1 bedroom. I broke my lease to move here because in the end I'd be saving 550$ a mos. I was grateful I had a nice and fair landlord who understood and I just let her keep the security. Since moving here I started getting my younger sister applications whenever I see them in the papers and online because I told her its a great look to be in something brand new and afforadable in your early 20's. Especially now a days where you have grown ass 30, 40 year olds having to either find a roommate, move back home or even down grade to living in a room because this economy sucks so bad they can't afford their high ass rents.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM

507 posts, read 689,761 times
Angry you was bamboozled-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela1961 View Post
I also went for an interview with this complex and was told that I made too much, because of my overtime, felt that I only worked the overtime so that I would have the money for the apartment when called, brought a letter from my job with the base salary which would make me qualify, and like you said, its always SOMETHING whith these people and I am going to appeal this decision also, because I feel that we don't get overtime all the time and why should we not do it when we can get it. I feel that they are being very biased with the working class. Any one else feel the same way.
yeah pamela..that was wrong..because they still has ta go according to your base salery...because what if a co worker was sick..and you know some of these companies are downsizing n things!..you should appeal..and get all your proof and what ever bourough you trying to live in..write a letter to that bourough president..like i did..once they get involved..you will be considered. I was put through the same situation for these apartments on 42nd-street,and i was a measly $1,000.00 dollars over their projected limit..but i wasnt past the maximum..it was totally biased too...and i thought they don't discriminate!?..they always find something in able not to get a person in..who's qualified!1..its like you dont make enough..or you make too much!..and its rather discouraging to/for applying to another-because you can have your heart set on being in a specific building/area..like example..the bus stop is there..the train station is there/here..parking..the supermarket..what perks they have..the spot had a gym..swimming pool..garage..doorman..a cleaners..even a atm..for the big-willies..so i was highly amped-up..the funny thing!..I was with my ex girlfriend,and we both put in applications..now if i was called..ill bring her in,and vice-versa..DONT you know..they denied me,and took her!..aint that some $!&t!!??..and I make the most money of the 2...well im saying..its different strokes for different folks!..still do what i said..appeal,and write to the bronx bourough president..make sure they know the information of the people you dealing with!..good luck.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM

365 posts, read 502,663 times
That's crazy! I heard of someone getting into those 42nd street apts. The funny thing is, this was so long ago, and I honestly didn't even know about these lotteries back then. I think I heard of like one person actually getting in. To be honest, if I was to get in anywhere in the city, I'd try my best to stay there. Bruckner seems like it will be a nice building once it's done. Nothing doorman or pool or dry cleaner like...but comfortable. The apartments look very modern, despite the cheapy looking counter tops in the kitchen. Everything else was nice. You know what's funny to me though...why is it that none of these new developments in the outer boros (ie: The Bronx, Brooklyn, etc.) come with any of these modern amenities. Pools, ATM, rooftop deck....it's almost as if that stuff only exists in Manhattan. If a building like that was built in the Bronx...anywhere in the Bronx...with amenities like those...and a screening process with interviews like some of the current ones, I think it would be a hit. Just my own two cents.....

Old 07-11-2011, 06:34 AM

Actually Moneboo the complex I live in has those amenities minus the pool. I live in the North Rose/Boricua Village developments and the the North Rose buildings have a gym, roof top deck, childrens playroom, and theatre. The tenants pay a higher rent about 1,100$ for a 1 bedroom and 1,600$ for a three bedrooms. Those apartments also come with the stainless steel-look appliances (refrigerator,dish washer and microwave) and those apts come with air conditioners. I thought the Bruckner buildings come with the same amenities?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM

@ Stephanie...the only thing I've heard the Bruckner having was lounge, a learning center, playground and landscapped gardens. In other words, two empty rooms, one containing an old school IBM, which will provide the learning, and a table and two chairs, which will provide the lounge. I only say this because a college friend of mine moved into a place like this, and this is exactly what we found. They didn't even state the fact that there were laundry facilities. I just know because you told me... Its still a nice building though. I'll credit where it's due. I really hope people take care of this place however.

Mom2Be...I hope everything's going good for you!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Moneboo......The gym and playroom have only been open a few months and already some of the tenants are using the gym as a hang out facility. Not to mention machines have been broken. Tenants are complaining that parents are not cleaning up after their children when they bring them down to the playroom. Here's the kicker..... last week the theatre room had some equipment stolen. Now we have cameras all throughout the building but I'm guessing they're either not hooked up yet or they're for show and if they're hooked up they're not being monitored. All of this drama is going on in the middle income buildings. It just goes to show that a higher income will not always bring a better class of people.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 PM

That is unbelievable Stephanie! Like seriously....stolen equipment!? I feel like, if it's there for your use, why steal it!? Smh! I don't know what gets into the minds of some people. Now, if management decided to start charging a fee for the use of these amenities, people would probably have a better appreciation of these things. But within two months, and already things are going downhill. Smh...Imagine in a couple years.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,445,486 times
In my building we've had two serious vandalism issues in the first 3 years we've been open, in both cases it was caused by people who were visiting residents in the building, and one was a family members. So sometimes you'll find it's not the residents of your building, but rather the company they keep.....

Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,083,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Davenport View Post
Moneboo......The gym and playroom have only been open a few months and already some of the tenants are using the gym as a hang out facility. Not to mention machines have been broken. Tenants are complaining that parents are not cleaning up after their children when they bring them down to the playroom. Here's the kicker..... last week the theatre room had some equipment stolen. Now we have cameras all throughout the building but I'm guessing they're either not hooked up yet or they're for show and if they're hooked up they're not being monitored. All of this drama is going on in the middle income buildings. It just goes to show that a higher income will not always bring a better class of people.
It just to show you thay some middle class people can act ghetto or still retain there ghetto culture and mindset.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,083,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deli167st View Post
mott haven..as soon you get off the subway..you will be right smack in mitchell projects..get through that stretch of block..and then theres busy service lane of the bruckner/deegan expressway...be careful crossing there because drivers frequent running that light!..theres no real eat our restaurant there..so you gonna have to travel to 149st to get good food..dont shop in that pioneer on 138st willis ave..it sucks!..go to western beef or pathmark..make sure you have loose-change in your easy to access pocket-because a few people will bum you for a quarter or a ciggerette. I known that area since the longest..and its changing rapidly..still its a high vast majority of unemployment.and people hanging out!.
Wtf you smoking? thier are eateries around bruckner boulevard. You have bruckner bar and grill, alexander cafe, dejembe a fusion of mexican and italian. For coffee fix needs thier is no starbucks however there is mcdonalds which is the cleanest and the least ghetto out of any mcdonalds in mott haven or any where else. There is also a dunkin donuts two blocks away. I rather prefer to eat on bruckner boulevard compared to eating around 149 th street. Yes pioneer super market sucks and westernbeef sucks too. I came across some hipsters on the 4 train who hauled whole foods from 14 street to 138 street grand concourse. you should try mets, but mets sucks too. The super markets in mott haven did try hard to cater to new comers taste. I suggest you take the 15 bus to fine fair at the last stop in harlem. I grew up and still live in mott haven and I appreciate the changes aswell because im not like the typical hood rat in that area. I came across many people who used to live in mott haven like puerto ricans and before them the irish, the irish have alot of stories on 138 street. Im not religous but mott haven is also a heavly catholic area, so catholic that even some black americans who live in the pjs of mott hVen who are usually baptist abandoned southern jim crow baptist church in favor of roman papacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery