Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 AM

317 posts, read 579,523 times

Advertisements

deli67.... Actually although both of my neighbors recieve some sort of government assistance they aren't what we would stereo type them to be. They are both very quiet women. The one on the advantage program she is a older woman who basically keeps to herself. I actually worry that I might be bothering her when I play my music on Saturdays while cleaning the house. The other neighbor...she is a single mom with 1 son. She and I leave the same time every morning for work. I may not know all of my neighbors on my floor but the one thing I can say about all of us is that we do take care of where we live.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 AM

365 posts, read 502,980 times
Warn81...you should call them up. How long ago did you apply? A lot of people, as you can tell, have been corresponding with them by just calling them for status updates. Surprisingly, I haven't really had to call them for anything. If you need numbers or anything, let me know.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Stephanie...they sound like pretty decent neighbors. The thing is, a lot government assisted programs have bad reps because of the caliber of it's recipients. When your living without a care in the world and receiving assistance, you sort of become dependent on that. That's why I think people react the way they do when they're asked to pay $52 instead of $ 51.99 in rent. I know some people who damn well deserve the assistance, receive it, and appreciate it. I can never say what may happen in my future, because life is unpredictable. I may lose everything and everyone today and tomorrow end up on public assistance and receiving all types of help. So o won't knock that...but when you see hardworking people struggling to make ends meet and receiving a dime as opposed to those who go to the grocery with damn near 6 shopping carts full of food and pull out $10, to cover their total...it amazes you.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:32 PM

moneboo.... Yea it amazes me everytime I'm in the supermarket and spend 150$ on groceries and walk out with 7 bags. Then the chick that checked out before me gets upset because the cashier accidently laid her benefit card faced down and she's pissed because she dont want the magnet strip scratched up. I dont see why its a big deal since this chick has on 390$ Prada sneakers. People priorities are in the wrong place....... On another note.....any news about the apartment?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 PM

No...nothing yet. This past week I sent in my employment verification and I also faxed in the letter from NYCERS...just in case. Me and my boyfriend were just talking about the apartment too. We're both hoping everything comes through after our vacation.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Since you just sent over the employment info that should be pretty much it. No news is good news. Try not to let it comsume you. I know its hard but its when you stop dwelling on it is when you are going to get the call you have been waiting for.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 AM

LoL...your like the 5th person to tell me that.
This summer has definately been a whirlwind for me. Another huge vacation for my family. Moving in a few. School, work...and everything. It's been really crazy. Oh well, such is life.
It's surprising that so many people still don't know about these lotteries however. I spoke with a few people over these past few weeks, and they were sort of clueless to the whole lottery process. Especially in a place like NYC!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:15 AM

507 posts, read 690,144 times
Default money is money..

excuse me sobroguy..but i was reviewing what the other person was saying..and hes right!..I was put through the same process..and you has to have all your copies..if you have a person who works in a office with access to a printer that'll be fine..so let them handle that..because dealing with them neighborhood travel agencys for it..some charge 25-cents..some 10 cents..the cheapest i found was 5-cents. the thing is they want everything to be within the projected income range..the unemployment thing is..they might feel/know that your unemployment isnt for ever..and will end..so how will the rent be-paid??..in this economy?.. I know people still outta work going on 3years!..and if you do find a job..its a chance its part-time,and still not enough money to meet the rent projected limit..and if you add a person..both of your income cant be exceeded..and 1of who ever has the best credit-should be head of household.
the examiner only take/ask for all of your paperwork..and it is into a folder and sent out to the state for processing..it usually take like 3-5 weeks,after you get the green light..you in!..so make sure you dont have/got a history of being a felon..nothing fraudulent..your work history..and are you currently renting now?..it helps..because they build a profile on you like-so. the thing that puzzles me is..they have 2-1 bedrooms available..at 1 rate..and another 1-bedroom at another..its the same 1 bedroom..so why because you make a few hundred more dollars-they gotta charge you the maximum?..I dont wanna spill out my income..but according to my overtime hours i put in at the job..isnt always the same or guaranteed!..thats what i been telling the examiner as i was sitting with her..and im by myself!..I got the apartment.and after i take my pick..im to pay the 1 month rent plus security..plus 25 dollars for monoxide gas detector..ok.
the place is nice..it has balconys on some units..but i walked towards the back..and it has views of the yard.and curve of 3rd ave..I was walking around the area checking it out..I wanna upload a photo here..but cant..still they are still accepting applicatiions there..and I walked up the block to 161st melrose ave..its another big building coming up there too!..my that was fast!..are they still taking people there..because its still empty-I applied for that building too..but i quess the smaller the building the better!.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Default someone told me that-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneboo View Post
LoL...your like the 5th person to tell me that.
This summer has definately been a whirlwind for me. Another huge vacation for my family. Moving in a few. School, work...and everything. It's been really crazy. Oh well, such is life.
It's surprising that so many people still don't know about these lotteries however. I spoke with a few people over these past few weeks, and they were sort of clueless to the whole lottery process. Especially in a place like NYC!
they take all of the applications..and at the magement office..they throw all of the envelopes on the floor..and then they hand pick yours..thats why it says if you submit more than 1 application you will be dis-qualified!..and then its funny..because i went to the site,and put in for the same building at 2 different locations..and on the interview process paper..they ask you if you're part of another/any lottery. aint that-something.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Default the neighborhood is like this-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The area is still very industrial, however that is changing, and this development is part of that change. If you feel uncomfortabe walking from the train, that's actually a reasonable feeling, since it is still industrial.
mott haven..as soon you get off the subway..you will be right smack in mitchell projects..get through that stretch of block..and then theres busy service lane of the bruckner/deegan expressway...be careful crossing there because drivers frequent running that light!..theres no real eat our restaurant there..so you gonna have to travel to 149st to get good food..dont shop in that pioneer on 138st willis ave..it sucks!..go to western beef or pathmark..make sure you have loose-change in your easy to access pocket-because a few people will bum you for a quarter or a ciggerette. I known that area since the longest..and its changing rapidly..still its a high vast majority of unemployment.and people hanging out!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery