Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM

365 posts, read 502,483 times

Advertisements

Thanks Steph!!
I'm just ready to get going and moving.
Like I said before, this year has been crazy, with all that's going on. I'm facing it though. I really think I'll be hearing from them within the next couple of weeks. I just hope it's not before my vacation. I'll be sailing the high seas thinking about packing once again.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,264,414 times
I would say a doorman would be a waste and wouldn't do much. A doorman is really a service person more than a security person. Most doormen are not really trained in self-defense, etc. Now an organized security force could help, especially with quality of life issues. But that would likely lead to rent raises. Other options include security cameras. But like some have pointed out in other threads. What good is a camera if it's not maintained or monitored frequently? I like that cameras at least seem to be a good deterrent for loitering though.

The electronic door system is good in the sense that it allows you to react quicker if you are in a situation where you feel vulnerable, however if people want to get into a building they usually figure a way in. For example I've seen firsthand how many people buzz a stranger in always from their intercom without even asking who is at the door. People can be shortsighted that way. They figure as long as they don't try to harm me it's okay.

Everything has it's pros and cons...

Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 AM

507 posts, read 689,623 times
todays the day!!..DAMM..i been up since 5am..I got my appointment this afternoon for la terrazza to view 2 apartments..eny meny miney-moe!..I know getting a balcony is out!..but they look kinda small from looking up any ol way...still i'll lounge out there in ma-underwear..that front side look like its yhe sunny side of the building..theres a private school in the side..and at times they block off the street for the kids to play...theres a basketball/handball kiddie park accross the street..thats nice..still..im worried about the parking..and will they charge the tenants extra for it??..i know they will,but how much??does any one knows??..I took a walk through to view the back..its nothing there but a opening/fenced off enclave..w/trees..nahh..i dont wanna be back there..the 3rd ave side with the traffic/people walking looks fine..well let me get on ta work..because im anxious to be there and take my choice!..I got a letter in the mail for this other establishment i applied for..i ripped it up and threw it in the garbage! no need in messing with them now..everythings right there..and on brook ave they're building another building..its bigger than la terrazza..i figure the smaller the building..the better..I was up early today throwing out things im not taking..whew!..anybody wanna buy a exercise bike?..ohh do this site let you upload photos?..

Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 AM

507 posts, read 689,623 times
stephanie..yes at brucknerbybridge..maybe if you get off early..if you have a car..or take the train..go there..because them females dont like to answer the phone..or try to go to la-terrazza..the people who handeled my case/application..they are managers of some of the new buildings coming up..heres their information.: C & C affordable mgnt 1785 park ave 3-floor 10035..or write them for a application..they have a web site too: ccmanagers.com and i tell you like this..they hooked me up!..and my credit isnt all that great!..if you ask me..they didnt even do it!..let me know if anything..

Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 AM

LoL @ Deli167! 5AM?! You better take ya butt to work or something!...taking out trash that early! LoL
I know it can be exciting though. I'll be the same way when my time comes. Probably worse. I tried to call Bruckner again this morning, but since I didn't go in to work, I don't have the actual number for the building itself, just management. The lady who did my interview was supposed to call me back and up to now, I've heard nothing. I'm trying to still have my things packed up and ready in any case, but like I mentioned before, packing to move and packing for a vacation is stressful. My co-workers said they would throw me a surprise house warming. Im praying my lucky stars that they do. I even said, "Oh don't worry about all that! You guys can just get me one giftcard from Ikea, and I'll be cool with that!". (Don't knock Ikea! Everything in my house is coming from them!) But in any case, if anyone has their direct number to the interview place at 80 Bruckner, could you post it please?! I don't feel like calling work and having them go through all my things for a piece of paper.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 AM

317 posts, read 579,026 times
Moneboo.... Ikea is the sh*t! I bought all my kitchen things, lamps, hangers and some other stuff and spent like 83$. I love Ikea. Its great for apartments. Now I wont buy the furniture not because its not good quality because their beds are beautiful but I dont put NOTHING together especially if I have plans on actually using it. Lol! But yes please do Ikea, Bed and Bath and if you can swing it pay a visit to Crate and Barrel. For my furnitue I went with Bobs and Raymour and Flannigans. As far as you house warming....if your co-workers want to throw you a surprise house warming let them. Its not going to be so much of a surprise since you know about it. Shame on you for not storing the number to the Bruckner in your cell phone, I phone, I pad or whatever device you have. When I was going through the process I had their 3 different lines and fax #. If you can hold out wait until Friday to get a status report.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM

LoL! I know girl...Ikea is the business! I will be giving them all of my "New Apartment" savings funds. I'm not going to go so crazy with the decorating yet. Just the basics for now. But as time progresses, I'll want it all. Raymour is pretty cool. My mom and I went there last summer and brought a bedroom and living room set. They're pretty reasonable if you catch them on a sale. Plus you have like 2 or 3 years w/o interest to pay them off. If I were purchasing for a home, I think I would use them and I say this only because I personally find their couches and sofas to be massive. Could just be the million and three pillows they apply on the chair. For the bedroom, I think I may just purchase a mountable headboard instead of taking my frames and rails and all that.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 PM

I actually just bought my glass table from Raymour's. I think they are way too expensive and in my opinion Bob's furniture is so much better and for hundreds less. I caught my table on sale for around 279$. But like you said no need to rush do little by little. I dont play the bed bug thing so I went to Sears for my queen bed. After I saw a Sleepys on the news last year for having bed bugs I was like " damn they even got to sleepys". But you will be just fine and have lots and lots of fun with it.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Awww hell! My mother and I just brought mattresses from there also, some really nice pillowtops. Smh! I'll be buying my bed bug protector from Duane Reade in any case. You never know what you can pick up in the process of moving. Smh! I've been overdoing it a little with the shopping. Right here in Parkchester, there's a Macy's literally two minutes from my house. They have sales almost every single week. (Probably have a "Over 90 degrees sale going on now!) The housewares from the cellar department are pretty decent. However, their pots are sh*tty. I don't think I'll be getting much from them by way of cooking utensils. Might just take a few pots from my mom's stash.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:03 PM

That was last summer so things should be better. If you notice there isnt any talk of the bed bugs this summer. Last year every week some new place was on the news. Just get the protector and you will be good. Its just sad that if you often have company you dont know where they have been and can leave them even on your sofa. But yes Sears has nice pillow top queen mattresses from 300$ on up. Sleepys wanted 700$ for the same exact mattress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.