Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 11:06 AM

16 posts, read 37,313 times

Advertisements

I don't think that penalty is a requirement for the certificate of occupancy. It's not listed as part of the 28 unfinished requirements mentioned in the temporary c/o. I think that just a debt incurred by the previous owner of the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:04 PM

93 posts, read 248,684 times
Okay, as of 7/31 (today) there are still that same 28 outstanding requirements that need to be taken care of, and the Temporary CoO (certificate of Occupancy) expires on 9/23/14. Maybe i can go over there and knock out 2 or 3 of those requirements myself…I'm pretty good with tools and my father is a plumber. Maybe he can help, too. Come on construction dudes, get the Lead out of yur as*es!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 PM

62 posts, read 140,671 times
I hear you. I'm starting to feel pretty edgy. Money stresses and trying to plan but not being able to. Not even knowing if we've got a place or not. Hoping I haven't been in limbo for nothing.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:48 PM

Hey guys, need your opinion. I'm going in on Monday to give related my updated financials, but like some of the rest of you, I'm no longer in the apartment i was in when I started this whole thing. I moved out two days ago. Previously, they had to verify my landlord and had my old roommates sign affidavits that I wasn't planning on letting them live with me. But my current situation is quite different. This week, I'm staying on a friends couch. I don't know anything about the landlord, nor should he know anything about me! Next week, I'm staying in another friends room, subletting, again with no knowledge of the landlord. Plus, I've never met the roommates, nor will i have much interaction with them. I paid my friend a little bit to sublet her room for the month, so best i can tell, she would be my landlord. But she is out of town until September, when I will no longer he subletting, so if they send her paperwork to verify, she won't be around.

So basically, what should I tell related about my living situation if it comes up in this paperwork update? I don't want to get disapproved if I can't get the info they need or if something doesn't add up, and I don't want to get my friends in trouble if Im not supposed to have access to the landlord. I don't even know how much my friends actually pay for the total rent of their apartment, I just know what I gave my friend to stay in her room while she is out of town doing a show.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:08 PM

Well, IKYKWIA, I would say Related IS aware some of us are/will be "displaced" by this constant pushing back of the move in date. They even acknowledged so in their letter that went out to us all in July. I like the "don't ask, don't tell" way. But, IF it should come up that your caseworker inquires about your current living situation, just say your Lease ended, you did not renew it, because you didn't find it smart to renew for another year when the 529 Building will soon become hopefully ready for permanent occupancy, and that you are staying with friends in Manhattan until Leases are ready at 529 building. I wouldn't mention exchange of money-- you don't want to get your friends in trouble. I do know in NYC you are allowed to stay as a guest in someones apartment up to 30 days. After that, the Landlord could technically say the friend is in Breach of the lease for having someone live there who is not on the Lease. So, stay up to 30 days, then move on. Stay at different Hostels, too. You are allowed up to 14 days at each Hostel! Funny how one learns these things as one becomes HOMELESS. :/ BTW, where is your mail going? Just curious. This would be my advice. What do others think?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:38 PM

I got a PO Box in the Times Square post office for my mail. Related was notified of that a couple of weeks ago, and confirmed the mailing address change in an email they sent me on Thursday. So I should be all set in that regard.

Great advice, hangingbyathread, by the way.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 PM

36 posts, read 85,765 times
I agree. I've been totally up front with Related about my housing, in terms of staying with friends while I've been between my out of town jobs. There hasn't been an issue so far (other than them not always sending stuff to the current addresses and using my original address, which does get forwarded to my parents in Ohio since I've been moving around so much this summer). In fact, in the list of updated financial stuff my caseworker asked me to bring in there is no mention of any rent related stuff for the past few months. Just current pay stubs/proof of income, bank statements, and unemployment record.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Yep, same here with what Babens stated, with respect to what Related asks for in their "update" paperwork requests: pay stubs, bank statements, and unemployment records--payments. And if its any comfort to anyone out there, Steve Harvey slept in his car for 2 yrs. while pursuing stand-up in Los Angeles. (google it if you don't believe me). And Bob Dylan slept on different couches in Greenwich village for years. Then there is Patti Smith who slept in Washington park. These trivia things about other artists are what keep me Going. Unfortunately most of us NYC'ers don't have cars (foolish expense), and sleeping in the park is now against the Law,(but you can hang out at LaGuardia Airport all night if absolutely desperate), soooo, hopefully this 529 building won't drag out for 2 yrs. (I will have a nervous breakdown if that happens.). Can't wait to have that champagne with ya all in the Conference Room at 529!!! (even Young Joe is invited.).

Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM

Hey I just worked on that Verizon commercial yesterday at the Racetrack in Jersey. Any fellow 529 neighbors-to-be/Fellow Posters work on it too?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 AM

36 posts, read 85,765 times
So I went in yesterday to re-do all my financial paperwork. They did not ask for further proof of rent payments, though she did ask where I'm currently living and where is best to send mail. She noted the name and address of the friend I'm staying with when I'm between out of town gigs in my file, but did not ask for any further contact info for him (i.e. phone number or email). Other than that it was going through the current income and assets and we did a new 2014 income projection since that has indeed changed since the one I filled out and submitted in April.

She said she hopes this is the last round of paperwork for now (implying the next will hopefully be lease signing) and said they are still hoping for September occupancy, though it may be either mid or late September.

Stay strong out there everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery