Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 8,121 times

Advertisements

Hallo all,
I do from time to time stop by and read what you are all sharing. There are no news I can add in regards to the building, but I thought I invite you all to leave the Forum for a bit and go out for some fun ;-)
I have a DVD Release Show this Friday after Dee Dee Bridgewater at the the Blue Note I am super excited about: Blue Note New York Performance Schedule. It will be a big celebration and party and I am bringing up several guest artists! My album made it into 10 categories for a potential Grammy nomination last year, and I will be performing all 13 very empowering songs (it's called DESTINY) that night with a live band! So come, get inspired and empowered for your art!
Luckily it has kept me so busy that I have no time to worry about my living situation :-) I do know how stressful it is though, I myself am without a place since 7/31 (my landlady terminated my lease after nearly 13 years) and I do understand what some of you are going through! I had to move to my 3rd friend on Friday and I am living out of my suitcases while all my things are in storage on 29th street. I opt for the positive outlook, I truly believe things will work out exactly the way they are supposed to And what I am going through right now is just part of my journey as an artist, which will make my messages when I perform just a lot more powerful :-)
I would love to see some of you this Friday! It's just $15 when you buy the ticket that night, or $12.50 (with preferred seating and a chance to win one of 10 gift bags) if you buy one online!
Love & blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 10,800 times
Hi everyone! Thank you for all of the posts, which keep us going to know others out there are in the same boat. We're also STILL waiting (2 bedroom; family of 3) with no news. Yesterday, we got invited to interview for the building next door- 500 w 30th St (we applied almost a year ago, but this is the first we're hearing back, with a low lottery number but no preference category)! So at least that softens the blow of this excruciating wait. Has anyone else been in the process for that building as well? Our situation has changed since we applied so I have a few questions, if anyone can shed some light on them, that would be great: We have only self employment income. How do they calculate it? Average of 3 years of tax returns or present projections? Net, not gross, correct? Also what is the % on investment income they calculate? Finally, do gift or family contributions to income count, and what kind of proof would you need to show for cash gifts? Thank you so much to anyone who can shed light on these questions. Also, has anyone heard any news about (or been invited to tour) the 2 bedrooms at 529 W 29? We pray that all waiting on this forum are granted an apartment soon! Good luck everyone! Keep the faith!!!

Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 PM

41 posts, read 208,910 times
Good luck with the 30th Street lottery. I also applied to this bldg, not lucky enough to get invited for interview. I am also 100% self employed and have been for the last few years, haven't had a 9-5 since 2009. Though they ask for 3 years of taxes, they only average the last 2 years for self employed. Depending on the management company, the applicant may be allowed to project their 2014 or may need a CPA to create an income projection letter. For a bldg near freedom tower, I had to have a CPA generate the letter, it cost me 200 dollars, and by the time they got to my log number of 587, there were no more apts a waste of 200 bucks)
The management company needs 3years of taxes though they only average the last 2 because it helps to determine if your projection is plausible. For example, if you make 30,000 in 2011, 31,000 in 2012, and 32,000 in 2013 then project your income for 2014 will be 20,000, that won't jive. They would probably investigate you to no end making you account for every penny. Though not necessarily true, they would evaluate your 2014 income to be 33,000 since the hypothetical income increased 1k each year (we all know that's not how income really works).

For self employed they use the higher amount between the 2 year average and the projection. Best of luck to you! It's always best to keep your options open, but I really hope 29th street opens in Sept. We have all been through so much with getting docs together, home visits, dropping doc in the office, etc. I'm so paranoid that every time we have to go in for updates with new pay stubs etc, it's another opportunity to possibly be disqualified. If the income rises too high or drops too low. We are all so close, but yet so far...

Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM

93 posts, read 248,684 times
you Won't be disqualified for the 529 building if "the income falls too low". There is no minimum income for this building. Only a maximum, to qualify.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,839 times
Default Same block RELATED building.

For your reference, the RELATED MGT. processed the affordable housing tenants on the same block in a much more complex building, 500 West 30th Street, in an expedited fashion. Here is the quote and the original thread link below:

"Thanks everyone! I had my 1st interview on March 11th I believe we waited a little more than 8 week before they called again and asked for more info, and than we got a call again within few week for home visit which took literally 3 min for the guy and that same day we went to see the 2 different apartment and chose the one we like, and exactly week later we got called to sign the lease , moving to the new place on July 1st, with two year lease. The building is beautiful, everything is perfect except the part my bedroom is super small. But no complains. , and our case worker was really nice. Goood luck to everyone that's waiting, very anxious process. But goood luck everyone!!"

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-street-4.html

Old 08-27-2014, 02:30 AM

529 was not built according to the blueprints, and that is one of the hold-ups of getting a Certificate of Permanent Occupancy. See the Link on page 15 of this Forum, and click onto it for yourself.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 10,800 times
Thank you so much for your helpful response, KeepingTheFaith! Do you (or anyone else) know the answer to my question about gift income? How can we show it? : "Finally, do gift or family contributions to income count, and what kind of proof would you need to show for cash gifts?"

Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 AM

36 posts, read 85,765 times
My impression, based on the interviews, was that it depends on how often you receive these gifts. When going through the financial assets questionnaire with you I seem to remember that one of the questions was about a regular gift income from a family member. So if it's something that you receive regularly and rely on to supplement your income they will want to know about it, and will ask you about once they start going through your bank statements, unless you are not depositing them into your accounts and just keeping them as cash.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 AM

62 posts, read 140,671 times
Has anyone called the Dept. of Buildings to find out the status?

Last edited by MumzE; 08-29-2014 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM

I have an idea: why don't we just go in and just become "squatters" in the garage, the conference room, the rehearsal room or in the lobby for now?
I call dibbs on the couch in the lobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery