Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM

93 posts, read 248,684 times

Advertisements

I would say if your Lease is up where you currently are, pack up and put it all in storage and try to find someone to stay by until this Great Building is ready for us. Or, show your current Landlord this letter from Related, and ask for an extended month-to-month Lease. We are resiliant artists---we can weather this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 PM

26 posts, read 96,553 times
Being in rehearsals for a play certainly has helped me through this summer.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 85,765 times
For those who are looking at expiring leases seek out the Gypsy Housing group on Facebook (if you haven't already). You'll find a lot of other theater people who are constantly looking for people to sublet their places while they head out of town for various gigs, and a lot of adaptability in regards to time frames, of course.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM

16 posts, read 37,313 times
Hi guys! Longtime lurker, first time posting. (I've been reading along since this little discussion was only on page 4, hoping for hints about where I stand in the process.)

Anyway, this article just appeared on a blog i read, gizmodo. About the neighborhood we may all be lucky enough to move to in the coming months (fingers crossed). I thought you might enjoy the read.

http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-futuri...a-b-1606935392

Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,820 times
Whatever you do about housing, I'd say make sure you keep it to the confines of NYC. Since there is a general preference for city residents, if they ask you to re-certify info and you happen to be staying with friends or family in Jersey or long island or anywhere else outside of NYC, and can't prove you still maintain residency in NYC, that may negatively affect your application status. I was in that situation with another building application, and nearly got kicked out of the running while staying with a friend in Hoboken after having to leave my previous place in brooklyn. (I ended up being denied later on anyway because my income changed and was no longer within the required min/max for that particular building). Just be careful to try to stay within the requirements for this building while you wait for more solid news.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 AM

CH_NYC, I not so sure that "stay within NYC" is so true for Performing Artist Preference. It would make sense for CB Preference., but for PA's, I believe it's more about staying within the Income, and, more importantly seeking/having Artist work/paystubs, as opposed to say working at McDonalds, the Post Office, or Google office, etc. I would say if your putting your things in storage, Manhattan Mini Storage is great because there are 2 locations close to Our Great Building , so when the time comes to move in, your stuff is in the general area, and, MMS moves your stuff out of storage to your new place for free!!
But, we prolly need to call our "caseworkers" to verify whether this "staying/couch hopping" within perimeters of NYC" is true or not. I'm camping out in SOHO, so I'm all good. (except that Chelsea cooler than SOHO. Just sayin').

Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 AM

36 posts, read 85,765 times
Hanging, I actually spoke to my case worker about these scenarios. I knew around the middle of March that I was going to have to move out of my current place in Woodside where I'd been for just shy of six years at the end of April. By then I had my summer work lined up (end of May to end of June in Vermont, then July and August in New Hampshire), but was looking at my options of what to do for the first three weeks in May until I left for Vermont. I asked about changing my address to my parents' in Cleveland for May (since at the time they were still saying a June or July opening for the building). She said that using the mailing addresses in Vermont and New Hampshire would not be an issue, since I would be there for work reasons, but switching to Cleveland would cause me to lose my spot on the preference list and I would be bumped below anybody who was still living in NYC. So I made sure I had a place to stay in the city for between these jobs (cat-sitting for a friend in Astoria for those weeks in May, and since couch crashing with a friend in LIC when I finished in Vermont, and where I'll go (hopefully not for long) when I finish here in New Hampshire towards the end of August.

So, long story short, unless you are leaving temporarily for a job, then you do need to maintain a residence in the city.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 AM

Okay, thanks Babens. Yeah, I have been going to Chicago, but only when I have a gig Booked out there. Same for Connecticut and LA.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 10,248 times
Has anyone else received the delay notification that NYkr14 mentioned?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:19 PM

62 posts, read 140,671 times
I did. It doesn't have a date for expected move-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery