Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said, but you said the local options were appalling then mentioned the existence of only one type of ethnic food which was presumably Latin American since most of the South Bronx is Hispanic majority.

And food doesn't need to be organic to be healthy, even a C-Town has more than enough healthy food options.

While I would like a large option of dining options, I wouldn't mind taking a short train ride when I want something other than the local options.

The UES doesn't have enough "quality"?
I guess you can call the food "American" for lack of a better term ethnic wise since there isn't anything down there that is truly authentic. I eat Spanish food from Spain and enjoy it and have eaten Latin American food as well that is much better quality wise than what you would find down there. Putting food aside though, you're right, a short subway ride can solve that but sometimes it is nice to buy local from the community. I will say that if the OP wants quiet they will get that, but in an strange way. The Concourse can be deserted at night and quite dead. I would not advise getting something on the side streets though. Some of them can be rather iffy.

And no the UES doesn't have enough quality. UWS is better in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 04:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,257,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The South Bronx is improving, but let's not kid anybody here. I've been going to Yankees' games before the new stadium was built and the stadium was THE anchor of the neighborhood. Now safety has improved considerably, but it still has a ways to go and the food options are still horrendous. Not just the restaurants/bars, but the supermarkets too. We didn't just form our opinion of the area by running to and from the stadium. We actually get around a bit to see for ourselves. There is one supermarket by the stadium that is pretty bad. Most of the products they sell consists of foods loaded with preservatives and other low end nonsense. Just contributing to the obesity problem down there, which certainly does exist. Now I think there are some parts of the Concourse that are nice and the OP may like a few buildings. The rentals though... I personally wouldn't do it. I agree that purchasing is a risk if you're new to the area, but the few decent buildings in that area along the Concourse look to be co-ops from what I've seen personally.
You obviously don't walk around very far from Yankee stadium. If you did used know there is a HUGE grocery store that sells plenty of healthy foods. It's produce section is bigger then some grocery stores in Manhattan. There also is a Duane Reade and a Starbucks right there. So I wouldn't call it hood.
Yankee stadium is not the anchor of the area the poster is questioning. Morris Ave is a whole different world than Yankee stadium. In the Bronx a half mile can be a world away.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The Concourse can be deserted at night and quite dead. I would not advise getting something on the side streets though. Some of them can be rather iffy.
Op seriously don't listen to this tourist who come to my neighborhood just for games. I live there and it is perfectly fine. This person seems to have some hatred and likes to scare people from the area for some reason.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Op seriously don't listen to this tourist who come to my neighborhood just for games. I live there and it is perfectly fine. This person seems to have some hatred and likes to scare people from the area for some reason.
Are you seriously denying that the Concourse is dead at night (particularly as it becomes colder) and that some of side streets are suspect? You may live there, but if you can't admit that, you are clearly living in denial. I'm not a tourist. I'm a New Yorker and the South Bronx is a place I've been going to through good times and bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You obviously don't walk around very far from Yankee stadium. If you did used know there is a HUGE grocery store that sells plenty of healthy foods. It's produce section is bigger then some grocery stores in Manhattan. There also is a Duane Reade and a Starbucks right there. So I wouldn't call it hood.
Yankee stadium is not the anchor of the area the poster is questioning. Morris Ave is a whole different world than Yankee stadium. In the Bronx a half mile can be a world away.
That Starbucks is relatively new, but yes it exists, and is nothing to boast about. There is one in my neighborhood too and it stinks. A huge grocery store that sells questionable products is also nothing to boast about. Morris Avenue isn't that far of a walk from the general area of Yankees stadium (roughly five minutes from the Concourse) and quite frankly I wouldn't recommend it even with the Courthouses being right there unless the OP accustomed is to individuals hanging outside (even when it is cold), not to mention the numerous housing projects around and the questionable activities likely taking place. If they are used to that environment, then sure they'll feel comfortable there, as it seems that people live and let live. Ultimately people have to live somewhere, but my point is please don't paint the place as some utopia. The South Bronx has improved but still have serious problems, poverty being one of them, so to sit here and say that the supermarket options are great when most people living there can't afford healthy food seems rather contradictory, which explains why so many grease spoons exist there to begin with.

I would compare that part of the South Bronx to a lot of East Harlem, but less gentrified with more affordable housing going up. Becoming safer but still rough to say the least.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 10-07-2016 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-08-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Are you seriously denying that the Concourse is dead at night (particularly as it becomes colder) and that some of side streets are suspect? You may live there, but if you can't admit that, you are clearly living in denial. I'm not a tourist. I'm a New Yorker and the South Bronx is a place I've been going to through good times and bad.

That Starbucks is relatively new, but yes it exists, and is nothing to boast about. There is one in my neighborhood too and it stinks. A huge grocery store that sells questionable products is also nothing to boast about. Morris Avenue isn't that far of a walk from the general area of Yankees stadium (roughly five minutes from the Concourse) and quite frankly I wouldn't recommend it even with the Courthouses being right there unless the OP accustomed is to individuals hanging outside (even when it is cold), not to mention the numerous housing projects around and the questionable activities likely taking place. If they are used to that environment, then sure they'll feel comfortable there, as it seems that people live and let live. Ultimately people have to live somewhere, but my point is please don't paint the place as some utopia. The South Bronx has improved but still have serious problems, poverty being one of them, so to sit here and say that the supermarket options are great when most people living there can't afford healthy food seems rather contradictory, which explains why so many grease spoons exist there to begin with.

I would compare that part of the South Bronx to a lot of East Harlem, but less gentrified with more affordable housing going up. Becoming safer but still rough to say the least.
I just walked home from the train at 3:30 am, perfectly fine.
You are a tourist to this neighborhood, going to some Yankee Games here and there does not make you knowledgeable about the neighborhood. During Yankee Games its like Times Square, not what its really like day in and day out. I don't act like my neighborhood is a Holy Utopia. I tell it as it is.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:56 AM

782 posts, read 529,034 times
Quote:
No, YOU wrote that. I didn't talk solely about going out to eat. I specifically mentioned one of the supermarkets and the limited options they had, and yes it is appalling when just about all of the food places are either bars or diners (don't tie an ethnic group to the establishments because the ones I'm thinking of don't really have one) or a supermarket with nothing organic to speak of. If you think having just bars or diners and a lousy supermarket to choose from is appealing then good for you, but I would be quite depressed in such an environment.

And the UES isn't a good comparison. Lots of options yes, but not much better in terms of quality.
Fyi, your UES comment seems pretty dated. Whole Foods and Fairway have opened up on the UES over the past few years. And even before these chains opened up, there has never been a shortage of high end places to shop like Citarella, Eli's market, many smaller gourmet markets, etc. It really doesn't seem like you ever lived in the areas in which you speak of. Living vs. visiting are different experiences.

Anyway, the OP isn't asking which should I choose, Concourse Village or the UWS or the UES? I'm guessing money is a factor and obviously the Concourse Village, as a lower income area, is not going to have the same amenities as the others.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:56 AM

34,174 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Fyi, your UES comment seems pretty dated. Whole Foods and Fairway have opened up on the UES over the past few years. And even before these chains opened up, there has never been a shortage of high end places to shop like Citarella, Eli's market, many smaller gourmet markets, etc. It really doesn't seem like you ever lived in the areas in which you speak of. Living vs. visiting are different experiences.

Anyway, the OP isn't asking which should I choose, Concourse Village or the UWS or the UES? I'm guessing money is a factor and obviously the Concourse Village, as a lower income area, is not going to have the same amenities as the others.
pWneD....good post...giving reps.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-08-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I shop on UES and just did today in fact at Whole Foods. We also shop at Fairway. The chains are there and have been there but the restaurants are questionable in terms of quality. Perfect example being Maison Kayser. That was my point. Whole Foods was terrible when it first opened there. It has improved so much that I actually go there instead of the usual locations.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 AM

782 posts, read 529,034 times
Quote:
I shop on UES and just did today in fact at Whole Foods. We also shop at Fairway. The chains are there and have been there but the restaurants are questionable in terms of quality. Perfect example being Maison Kayser. That was my point. Whole Foods was terrible when it first opened
there. It has improved so much that I actually go there instead of the usual locations.
Ok, so you're sort of backtracking. Now groceries are okay, but restaurants are questionable? The UES may not have the really hip or trendy places of downtown but come on. I don't even understand your example of Maison Kayser. They're a chain with locations all over the city.

Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about. Just acknowledge that your experiences are limited instead of making generalizations.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, so you're sort of backtracking. Now groceries are okay, but restaurants are questionable? The UES may not have the really hip or trendy places of downtown but come on. I don't even understand your example of Maison Kayser. They're a chain with locations all over the city.

Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about. Just acknowledge that your experiences are limited instead of making generalizations.
Well I know several people that agree with me about the UES. Maison Kayser... UES location is so-so. Better locations elsewhere. Oh I do know what I'm talking about. I've been eating on the UES for years. Restaurants are just OK. Sorry but it's true. SAS hasn't ho helped. Good places shut down from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery