Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM

782 posts, read 528,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
NYC has AMAZING food, and the UES isn't known to be a food haven. There are a lot of choices, but many mediocre ones. The difference in the South Bronx is you have very few options on top of poor quality.

I suggested it and I'm still saying that. Yes, the UES has options, but the restaurants are so-so, and since this is supposed to be about the South Bronx, I would rather not delve further by giving more examples/evidence, but I've eaten at enough places for many years to know what I'm talking about. Many of them are overpriced to boot. Someone mentioned Eli Zabar establishments. Those would be an example of an overpriced option, along with Dean & DeLuca.
There is a huge gap between the grocery/restaurant quality of the UES vs. the quality of low-income areas. But whatever, you are basically backtracking from your first few posts which is where I found issue. You now mention price which was never the point. Of course, better quality places will cost more and some will be overpriced. Not surprising given the demographics in the area.

But the UES has tons of places of varying quality and price points. The low-income areas as you described? Cheap chinese takeout, fast food joints, bodegas/delis, maybe some ethnic places that have to use lower-cost ingredients given the local demographics. Have you spent much time in these areas? Usually not much in the way of bakeries, coffee shops, cafes and definitely not the higher-end spots. How the UES is even remotely comparable to the low-income areas is such a bizarre argument that you were trying to make and now are backtracking somewhat.

Personally I think the UES is so-so compared to the best of downtown. Which of course makes sense since the UES is primarily residential while downtown is where many people from different parts of the city shop and go out to eat. But that wasn't the way your posts were reading. Instead it was that the UES is not much better than the South Bronx. Such a weird perspective.

Anyway, yes, this whole discussion is off-topic so this also is my last post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 12:52 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,308,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
There is a huge gap between the grocery/restaurant quality of the UES vs. the quality of low-income areas. But whatever, you are basically backtracking from your first few posts which is where I found issue. You now mention price which was never the point. Of course, better quality places will cost more and some will be overpriced. Not surprising given the demographics in the area.

But the UES has tons of places of varying quality and price points. The low-income areas as you described? Cheap chinese takeout, fast food joints, bodegas/delis, maybe some ethnic places that have to use lower-cost ingredients given the local demographics. Have you spent much time in these areas? Usually not much in the way of bakeries, coffee shops, cafes and definitely not the higher-end spots. How the UES is even remotely comparable to the low-income areas is such a bizarre argument that you were trying to make and now are backtracking somewhat.

Personally I think the UES is so-so compared to the best of downtown. Which of course makes sense since the UES is primarily residential while downtown is where many people from different parts of the city shop and go out to eat. But that wasn't the way your posts were reading. Instead it was that the UES is not much better than the South Bronx. Such a weird perspective.

Anyway, yes, this whole discussion is off-topic so this also is my last post.
For the sake of clarifying, when talking about the entire city from a cuisine standpoint, the UES is so-so (at best) and the South Bronx is the pits. Hopefully I am clear now. You may find the comparison weird perhaps because the UES is flush with money but not everything is perfect there.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,244,335 times
Quote:
You may find the comparison weird perhaps because the UES is flush with money but not everything is perfect there.
Parts of the Upper east side are. From Park to 5th ave is known to be flushed with money. Lexington to York are different block to block. Those avenues used to be were the poor lived. Of course thats not the case now with every block/building. But MANY working class and lower class still live there in old buildings.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Parts of the Upper east side are. From Park to 5th ave is known to be flushed with money. Lexington to York are different block to block. Those avenues used to be were the poor lived. Of course thats not the case now with every block/building. But MANY working class and lower class still live there in old buildings.
That is technically Yorkville, but yes you are correct. In any event, that will change as the Second Avenue subway is finished. Back to the South Bronx though and Concourse Village. If it is to truly gentrify, it will need quality eateries, banks and the like and less fried chicken spots. Overall the amenities are just deplorable and unhealthy. I don't know how people even work down there in the courts, let alone live there. I guess you have to think about the situation as everything you need is just a subway ride away and bring food from elsewhere.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
That is technically Yorkville, but yes you are correct. In any event, that will change as the Second Avenue subway is finished. Back to the South Bronx though and Concourse Village. If it is to truly gentrify, it will need quality eateries, banks and the like and less fried chicken spots. Overall the amenities are just deplorable and unhealthy. I don't know how people even work down there in the courts, let alone live there. I guess you have to think about the situation as everything you need is just a subway ride away and bring food from elsewhere.
You really know so very a little about the area it is just sad! 3 banks are practically right next to each other, there is a fresh market with organic products every week and as I said before a HUGE grocery store filled with healthy products. Of course there are fried chicken places there, as they are in every neighborhood. People like chicken, people buy chicken, therefore businesses open that sell it.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You really know so very a little about the area it is just sad! 3 banks are practically right next to each other, there is a fresh market with organic products every week and as I said before a HUGE grocery store filled with healthy products. Of course there are fried chicken places there, as they are in every neighborhood. People like chicken, people buy chicken, therefore businesses open that sell it.
You call 3 banks options? I can only think of that Bank of America by the courthouses and the two Chase banks closer to Yankee Stadium. Not exactly a ton of options. And those chicken places are always in impoverished neighborhoods with high obesity rates. Funny how I don't have a chicken place in my neighborhood, since "every neighborhood has one", as if that is something to boast about.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
You call 3 banks options? I can only think of that Bank of America by the courthouses and the two Chase banks closer to Yankee Stadium. Not exactly a ton of options. And those chicken places are always in impoverished neighborhoods with high obesity rates. Funny how I don't have a chicken place in my neighborhood, since "every neighborhood has one", as if that is something to boast about.
What is your neighborhood?

Old 10-12-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
What is your neighborhood?
My neighborhood has close to 10 banks all within walking distance. Now I can that options. That area of the South Bronx has things going for it but I don't see it gentrifying anytime soon. The courthouses do help keep a balance from a safety standpoint, given the plethora of housing projects and Section 8 housing, but there are quality of life issues that need to be dealt with.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
My neighborhood has close to 10 banks all within walking distance. Now I can that options. That area of the South Bronx has things going for it but I don't see it gentrifying anytime soon. The courthouses do help keep a balance from a safety standpoint, given the plethora of housing projects and Section 8 housing, but there are quality of life issues that need to be dealt with.
Again I ask what neighborhood do you live in?

Old 10-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Again I ask what neighborhood do you live in?
I live in NYC. What neighborhood I live in shouldn't matter. I am all over the place and a born and bred New Yorker. I will admit that the immediate area in question area has improved considerably in just the last few years, especially along 161st street. Are you from here or a transplant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery