Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 03:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,516,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well I know several people that agree with me about the UES. Maison Kayser... UES location is so-so. Better locations elsewhere. Oh I do know what I'm talking about. I've been eating on the UES for years. Restaurants are just OK. Sorry but it's true. SAS hasn't ho helped. Good places shut down from it.
Not for nothing but you're coming off as extremely pretentious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 08:02 AM

782 posts, read 529,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well I know several people that agree with me about the UES. Maison Kayser... UES location is so-so. Better locations elsewhere. Oh I do know what I'm talking about. I've been eating on the UES for years. Restaurants are just OK. Sorry but it's true. SAS hasn't ho helped. Good places shut down from it.
In your line of posts, you suggested that the quality of groceries/restaurants on the UES was not much better than bars and diners and greasy spoons in lower-income neighborhoods. But heck, what do I know, I only lived in a variety of different neighborhoods (including the UES).

Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,151,517 times
Why would you buy some place you have never lived?

That's a huge commitment and process, rent first and see if the neighborhood is where you want to be.

With gentrification happening it may be a good buy but keep in mind, gentrification of neighborhoods doesn't happen overnight

Old 10-11-2016, 08:50 AM

And good luck finding a "house" in that area of interest. The housing stock is mostly co-ops/condos. Houses are few and far in between. And I believe developers already scooped up the few brownstones and upmarked them over a million.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,243,039 times
If the Yankee Stadium/Concourse area already had a whole foods, the real estate would not now be affordable.

It doesn't have one....yet.

And the real estate is, for now, affordable.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
If the Yankee Stadium/Concourse area already had a whole foods, the real estate would not now be affordable.

The Whole Foods follows the expensive real estate, not the other way around

Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
And good luck finding a "house" in that area of interest. The housing stock is mostly co-ops/condos. Houses are few and far in between. And I believe developers already scooped up the few brownstones and upmarked them over a million.
There are a lot of single families in nearby Mott Haven, correct?

I know some of those are still affordable for NYC standards.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There are a lot of single families in nearby Mott Haven, correct?

I know some of those are still affordable for NYC standards.

There are a few, that have been flipped by developers. The ones that aren't are completely outdated and needs a full gut. But there still isn't a large supply there. A single family has to be the worse house to buy in NYC. You are not able to supplement your income in anyway with a single family (unless you rent out rooms or airbnb in your private space). You solely bare the cost of the maintenance on the home. At least with co-op/condo you don't have to worry about replacing a 3k boiler or 10k roof replacement.

I always tell people go for the two family at least. Unless you are completely financially stable, but still at 500k even in the Bronx for a single family it just makes more financial sense and a better investment to buy a two family for 800k. When you have rental income and more space.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:09 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not for nothing but you're coming off as extremely pretentious
NYC has AMAZING food, and the UES isn't known to be a food haven. There are a lot of choices, but many mediocre ones. The difference in the South Bronx is you have very few options on top of poor quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
In your line of posts, you suggested that the quality of groceries/restaurants on the UES was not much better than bars and diners and greasy spoons in lower-income neighborhoods. But heck, what do I know, I only lived in a variety of different neighborhoods (including the UES).
I suggested it and I'm still saying that. Yes, the UES has options, but the restaurants are so-so, and since this is supposed to be about the South Bronx, I would rather not delve further by giving more examples/evidence, but I've eaten at enough places for many years to know what I'm talking about. Many of them are overpriced to boot. Someone mentioned Eli Zabar establishments. Those would be an example of an overpriced option, along with Dean & DeLuca.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:18 AM

738 posts, read 587,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post

Great area. I used to live there, wish I still did.

I often shopped at the Western Beef market at...138th St? Why shop at Whole Paycheck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery