Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2022, 06:57 PM

44 posts, read 42,119 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I got an email today to submit my application/documentation. My log number is 6xxx. I submitted it within an hour or two but I was wondering what the timeline would potentially be if i got accepted? I meet all the financial requirements so I don't think i'd get denied but I was about to sign another lease and if stuytown would get back to me soon then i'm not going to sign the lease.

any insight is helpful, thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 06:58 PM

44 posts, read 42,119 times
by timeline, i mean when would they reach out to me about acceptance/denial and then also from there. thank you!

Old 06-14-2022, 08:23 PM

110 posts, read 214,399 times
Someone else calculated 242 days from documentation request(s). It's not like "this month" soon, that's for sure. They are currently on 1500/2000 numbers and it seems to go "in batches". I would say not before the holidays (xmas, new years).

Old 06-14-2022, 09:44 PM

118 posts, read 126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey1234 View Post
I got an email last week asking to submit documents. I called and surprisingly go through to someone. Im waiting for a 3bedroom. They told me to not submit any documents (because I would go crazy!) she said... they expire after 120 days and she said it could be more than a year wait (which is fine with me!) they put us on "hold" and said when they reach my number again to submit a photo of our dog and registration and all the paperwork then. Im # 56xx

I was really freaked out that if I didn't submit the paperwork they would disqualify me. Has anybody else been through this they assured me over and over that I did not need to submit paperwork and I would be put on hold. Also I heard something about the lottery closing in February. Does that mean I may not even have a chance? If she said it would be more than a year wait that doesn't make sense!
Hi, I am not sure if the policy has changed, but when I was asked to submit my documents, I had 10 days to do so, or I would disqualify. Why don't you just submit it and should you wait a full year to get an apt than be it.
The lottery was supposed to last 2 years, but who knows it could be extended?

Old 06-15-2022, 06:03 AM

24 posts, read 21,018 times
Hi yaya. Thanks. They repeatedly told me to not submit docs yet. I got an email confirmation saying I have been placed on the 3 bedroom waitlist. Since there are none available maybe that's why it's different than say a 2 bedroom? I don't want to be annoying and submit docs when 2 different people told me not to... but I'm still confused. Seems like a trick lol.
Does anyone have any idea how long the waitlist is for a 3 bedroom? This would be life changing. If we don't get this apt we will eventually have to leave the city (3 kids )
242 days from my first email would put me at beginning of February. Yikes! Cutting it close! And hoping for the best!

Old 06-15-2022, 07:36 AM

21 posts, read 26,106 times
Update status!

I signed the lease & paid the deposit & 1st month rent as well as the $20 background check yesterday. I am super excited & will be visiting the actual apartment this Friday.

For anyone who will also receive an offer, please be aware that you don't have much time to sign & pay for the deposit, 1st month rent & background check fee once the offer is received. So make sure you have some treasury available.

Timeline:

- Once ST sends the apt offer, you have 5 business days to sign the lease (complete the entire process), meaning that you have 2 business days to respond to the email with the apt offer (Move in date & Lease term - 12 or 24 months) & 3 business days to sign the lease
- Once you sign the lease, you have 24hrs to pay the deposit through Obligo (1st month rent & $20 background check) - they do accept cc payment but there is a 4% fee

Hope this helps! Good luck to the rest of you all

Old 06-15-2022, 07:50 AM

11 posts, read 10,546 times
Hello, I was recently contacted to submitted paperwork, Log 5xxx. Then, i received an email that said do not submit paperwork, we have low inventory. We will contact you when your log number is reached. The process is confusing. Are we being placed on a separate list that wont expire after February? Ive also read that ~20,000 apartments are being renovated or up for grabs through the lottery. Is that why they are contacting people with high log#s? If, the list expires in February, there shouldnt be a reason to contact people with high log#s. I think the log#s assigned initially expire but not if you were contacted by management to submit paperwork. Thats my guess. Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2022, 07:53 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,662,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parchmentnyc View Post
I got an email today to submit my application/documentation. My log number is 6xxx. I submitted it within an hour or two but I was wondering what the timeline would potentially be if i got accepted? I meet all the financial requirements so I don't think i'd get denied but I was about to sign another lease and if stuytown would get back to me soon then i'm not going to sign the lease.

any insight is helpful, thank you!
It makes a difference if you are applying for a one or two bedroom. The log#s are the same. 6xxx might be high for 1 bed, but low for 2 bed.

You should make sure you have a place to live. You should not rely on a lottery for housing you need in the near future. Ask about a lease that lets you cancel with reduced consequences for canceling. A lease can ask that you pay rent every month.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:27 AM

118 posts, read 126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey1234 View Post
Hi yaya. Thanks. They repeatedly told me to not submit docs yet. I got an email confirmation saying I have been placed on the 3 bedroom waitlist. Since there are none available maybe that's why it's different than say a 2 bedroom? I don't want to be annoying and submit docs when 2 different people told me not to... but I'm still confused. Seems like a trick lol.
Does anyone have any idea how long the waitlist is for a 3 bedroom? This would be life changing. If we don't get this apt we will eventually have to leave the city (3 kids )
242 days from my first email would put me at beginning of February. Yikes! Cutting it close! And hoping for the best!
Since you received a confirmation email, you should be fine than. I misunderstood, I though you only had a verbal confirmation.
From my understanding, there aren’t a lot of 3 bedrooms unit and most people are interested in a 1 or 2 bedroom… I am sure the waitlist for 3 bedrooms is shorter than others.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:55 AM

151 posts, read 135,072 times
MacNYC2003,

My apartment is rent stabilized. I've been here for about a year and a half. It is a spacious, 2nd floor walk-up, 1 bedroom. I have a great landlord that answers via text right away, I'm a block from the train, and the area feels like the safest in NYC. However, the building has a slight "water bug" (huge roach) issue that I can't stand. I would love to pay less than $1800 for a 1 bedroom as a single person and I think the chance to live in Manhattan would also be amazing. I could never afford to live there at market rate.

I just finished reading some of the most recent pages of this forum and realize that I may never even get an apartment offer. I'll be submitting my documents tomorrow, but my log number is 56xx. I'm thinking that I may get an offer if they end up extending pass Feb 2023.

Anywho, I'm going to dream about it anyway lol. Does anyone have a virtual tour or pictures of their PCV lottery apartment? Or any lottery apartments? I just want to daydream about the apartment I MIGHT get haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery