Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 03:38 PM

23 posts, read 27,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Yes, First Avenue is a busy street with constant traffic and ambulances going to Beth Israel and NYU.

If you're on the side of the building directly facing First, it will be noisy. If you're on the other side of the building, however, it's not bad.

Besides, you don't get a choice in the matter.

Years ago, before we had air conditioning, it was bad to live on a busy street because you had to have your windows open in the summer. Now it's different.

In theory, the double-paned windows do help. However, if you have an AC mounted in your window, as all lottery apartments have, sound travels through it.

Don't forget that many buildings with a First Avenue address are set back in the complex. So if you are offered a First Avenue building, really any building, look on the map to see if you're directly facing First, 20th, 14th, or Avenue C.
Yeah I figured as much when it comes to noise level for the first ave Apts but luckily, my unit is on the back of the building facing stuytown. Hopefully it won't be so bad!!

I did talk to them about viewing the unit and they said I can this week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 07:59 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
The First Avenue Loop area is very convenient. Congrats on the apartment!

Old 06-13-2022, 08:20 AM

31 posts, read 31,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
Someone mentioned before about not wanting an apartment on 1st Ave, due to the noise. Is the noise level that loud? Also, do the windows offer some level of noise insulation.
So I don't live in stuytown, but I did live on 1st ave a few blocks from stuytown, on the 4th floor facing the street. In my personal opinion, noise isn't that bad at all, but I'm young, and generally don't get as bothered by noise as some people. That being said, most of the noise I heard is usually just the groups of people walking down the street and the cars. Since it's passing by, it's not something that persistently bothers me like when I lived off of 1st ave but in LES, it was just a constant stream of music bumping from the restaurants below and people hanging out in the streets.

As mentioned above, I think AC units do a fairly good job at blocking out the noise, and I listen to white noise to sleep so I really don't notice anything at night. I might be wrong, someone can correct me if I am, but up by stuytown (at least on 1st ave) there's the hospital and some fast food spots but not a ton of restaurants or clubs and stuff that would attract a bunch of the college kids partying and stuff. The crowds tend to feel thinner up there as opposed to down by St Marks or Houston. All in all, I think you should be okay though! I imagine facing 14th would be worse than 1st because 14th has the open flea market, restaurants/stores, and generally a lot more of the homeless people congregate there.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 913 times
Default What are my chances?

Trying to get a sense here for my chances. I have a log # in the 5000s, and based on the light perusal I've done of this thread, it seems priority goes to lower numbers. But then again, does the log # correlate to position on the list, or is it arbitrary? I received the email asking me to send all of my documentation.

Separately, anyone know what kind of flexibility there is with the income requirements? My base salary is within the band of a 1 bedroom, but I have a performance based incentive comp that puts me out of the band. But it's not guaranteed, and unlikely I'll receive enough of it in the year to exceed the income requirement. I've explained that in a note that I included with my application, but this seems like the type of thing where any slight technicality is grounds for disqualification.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:11 AM

151 posts, read 134,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyZ View Post
It's now my turn to share good news - I got an offer for a one bedroom and have accepted! Kinda perfect, kinda crazy timing as my lease ends at the end of the month (AND i'm going on vacation on the 30th) so I'm going to have to do this super quickly. Things are moving guys...
Hey, do you mind sharing how long you waited from when you were deemed eligible to when you received an apartment offer?

Old 06-14-2022, 10:14 AM

Hey, does anyone know what the condition is of the lottery apartments? If you are a lottery winner does that mean you have the chance to live in any of the units: classic, modern, platinum? Or are lottery winners only placed in the least "nice" units?

Old 06-14-2022, 10:29 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy_ View Post
Hey, does anyone know what the condition is of the lottery apartments? If you are a lottery winner does that mean you have the chance to live in any of the units: classic, modern, platinum? Or are lottery winners only placed in the least "nice" units?
There are many posts mentioning that lottery units have been under renovation, circumstances c19 and such has slowed the process down.

It’s understandable that management aims to make market rate units as competitive in the market as possible, after all they are asking about $4500 a month for a one bedroom. Potential MR tenants want to see quality. One the other hand, a huge portion of renovations is labor cost. Typically, the cost to install new extra fancy cabinets is about the same as installing ordinary “landlord” cabinets.

I think lottery winners are lucky to get a unit. Some are more lucky because the get an choice location in unit that in nice condition or newly renovated. And maybe with a rent on the low end.

Think about it, if they are asking $1200-2000, how un-nice does it have to be to reject it?

Old 06-14-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
There are many posts mentioning that lottery units have been under renovation, circumstances c19 and such has slowed the process down.

It’s understandable that management aims to make market rate units as competitive in the market as possible, after all they are asking about $4500 a month for a one bedroom. Potential MR tenants want to see quality. One the other hand, a huge portion of renovations is labor cost. Typically, the cost to install new extra fancy cabinets is about the same as installing ordinary “landlord” cabinets.

I think lottery winners are lucky to get a unit. Some are more lucky because the get an choice location in unit that in nice condition or newly renovated. And maybe with a rent on the low end.

Think about it, if they are asking $1200-2000, how un-nice does it have to be to reject it?
I'm just curious..

I also have a pretty nice apartment in Astoria that I pay $1800 for, so if I'm offered a $2000 apartment in Stuytown that is the same level as my current apartment, I'm not positive that I'd take the offer.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:41 AM

Lizzy, are you rent stabilized now?

Also, there is a special lottery fix-up done to the units, which has been described as minimally renovated. The reason is that under the 2019 rent law, landlords are allowed to spend just $15,000 renovating a vacant apartment. (They can add a percentage of that amount to the rent.) You can get photos from management showing the finishes. So you will not be getting the same renovations as the expensive apartments shown on the website.

Personally, I think the lottery apartments look great when they are done, a mix of old and new. I'm not inclined to praise Blackstone too often, but I think the company has stepped up to the plate with this one. Anyone who lands one of these units, which are rent stabilized, is really lucky.

I posted previously about a friend of my daughter's who lives in the ST area (not in ST/PCV) and has received a 53% rent increase on her studio, which is market rate. It's just astounding what landlords are getting away with. It's heartbreaking since she truly cannot afford the new rent.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-14-2022 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-14-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnerusername View Post
Trying to get a sense here for my chances. I have a log # in the 5000s, and based on the light perusal I've done of this thread, it seems priority goes to lower numbers. But then again, does the log # correlate to position on the list, or is it arbitrary? I received the email asking me to send all of my documentation.

Separately, anyone know what kind of flexibility there is with the income requirements? My base salary is within the band of a 1 bedroom, but I have a performance based incentive comp that puts me out of the band. But it's not guaranteed, and unlikely I'll receive enough of it in the year to exceed the income requirement. I've explained that in a note that I included with my application, but this seems like the type of thing where any slight technicality is grounds for disqualification.
Yes, your log number is your place on the list.

I take it that you have already provided your documents? If not, give them ASAP, and see how your income shakes out. The AMIs for the New York City area have increased since the start of the lottery last year. I don't know if you have been given updated income figures or not.

If you receive a bonus that's not guaranteed, you may be able to make a case that the income is "sporadic." You should download a copy of the marketing handbook and look it over if you are curious about how the process works.

Keep in mind that even after you submit documents, you will have a wait of several months, as the vacant apartments are renovated in batches. Since documents "age out" after 120 days, you will be asked to provide fresh ones at some point. So your income at that time will be the relevant one, as opposed to now.

And I guess you could tell your employer that you would rather not get a bonus or raise. You wouldn't be the first person.

Best of luck!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-14-2022 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery