Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2022, 07:02 AM

9 posts, read 8,699 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I have just been offered a 1BR in Stuyvesant town. We’re trying to decide if we should accept the offer. I was doing some research on rent stabilization at Stuytown and I found out that many of the rent stabilized apartments were set to be de-regulated due to the expiration of the J-51 tax abatement. Does this apply to lottery apartments? Does anybody have more knowledge on rent stabilization at Stuytown?

We’re currently in a nice apartment with a decent landlord and we truly hate moving. If we move, we want to make sure we can live there for a really long time. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 08:19 AM

Default Are all Stuytown lottery apt rent stabilized indefinitely?

Hi all!

My husband and I have just been offered a 1BR in Stuyvesant town. We’re trying to decide if we should accept the offer. I was doing some research on rent stabilization at Stuytown and I found out that many of the rent stabilized apartments were set to be de-regulated due to the expiration of the J-51 tax abatement. Does this apply to lottery apartments? Does anybody have more knowledge on rent stabilization at Stuytown?

We’re currently in a nice apartment with a decent landlord and we truly hate moving. If we move, we want to make sure we can live there for a really long time. Thank you!

Old 06-18-2022, 08:29 AM

151 posts, read 134,859 times
From what I’ve read, the apartment will be rent stabilized forever. Do you mind sharing your log number?

Old 06-18-2022, 08:41 AM

151 posts, read 200,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccyy View Post
Hi all!

I was wondering about this as well. I know management made a deal with the city to keep the apartments affordable until 2035. Then state laws were changed that seems to keep it affordable longer term. I believe the tenants association is in court with management. Mac may know more. I’ve asked a bunch around a lot, and nobody really knows what will happen. But what I’ve heard is that since Stuytown is so big, politicians want to keep the voters happy and will fight for us. I was living in a nice rent stabilized apartment in a neighborhood that I loved and decided to take the chance. I admit I find this all very confusing because there’s another lawsuit about "Roberts" apartments that I believe do not apply to us. One thing that stuck with me when I asked for advice about staying in my other rent stabilized apartment was “the way things are now, we don’t know what will happen with anything. We don’t know what will happen to the rent stabilization of the apartment you have (had) now.” So, like I said, I took the chance. If anyone has better insight into this, I’d love to hear too!

Old 06-18-2022, 09:04 AM

151 posts, read 200,082 times
I'm not sure if this is the J-51 thing you were specifically asking about, but your question got me googling and I found this:
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...f33TFAc6sg_BGU
It's a FAQ about who is affected and says lottery apartments are not impacted. It's the "Roberts" apartments.

If you find out any other info I'd appreciate it if you'd share here.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:19 AM

65 posts, read 73,330 times
Quote:
Hi all!

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your log number/timeline?

Old 06-18-2022, 10:01 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Yes, the Roberts apartments are covered by a lawsuit several years ago that the tenants won. I’m not sure how long the lottery apartments will be rent stabilized. I know that the law doesn’t have to be renewed, as in the past, but I don’t know what will happen if the Republicans take control or Albany again.

Old 06-18-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstardanc2007 View Post
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your log number/timeline?
Thanks! My log number is in the 1300s

Old 06-18-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy_ View Post
From what I’ve read, the apartment will be rent stabilized forever. Do you mind sharing your log number?
Would you mind sharing your source? My log number is in the 1300s

Old 06-18-2022, 01:43 PM

151 posts, read 134,859 times
Quote:
Would you mind sharing your source? My log number is in the 1300s
I can’t remember, but I’ll try to see what I can find
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery