Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2021, 04:35 PM

28 posts, read 49,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Bavi, you handed in documents? What is your approximate log number? Did Stuy town let you know how much the apartment will be for you, or did they give you a range?

Let me know if you have any questions about living in Stuy Town and I’ll give you my opinion!
Hi macnyc2003 - I actually do have a question maybe you can advise on- I have been hearing a lot about walls/floors being thin and that people can hear their upstairs neighbors walk etc- do the carpets help? Does stuytown provide the carpets for floors? Thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 07:33 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Hi, bavi! I don’t think the walls are that thin, honestly. They are plaster over concrete. Hard to drill through. But that said, if you are stuck with noisy neighbors, yes, you will hear them. You can call public safety if it’s late at night and they will come over and speak to the people making noise. Stuy Town has “quiet hours,” when you are not supposed to make noise. Kind of like a convent.

As far as carpets, you are supposed to cover roughly 80% of your floor area. This is not unusual. Many leases contain language to this effect. The carpets do help a lot. You must pay for your own rugs; the landlord does not provide any furnishings.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-16-2021 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Hi, bavi! I don’t think the walls are that thin, honestly. They are plaster over concrete. Hard to drill through. But that said, if you are stuck with noisy neighbors, yes, you will hear them. You can call public safety if it’s late at night and they will come over and speak to the people making noise. Stuy Town has “quiet hours,” when you are not supposed to make noise. Kind of like a convent.

As far as carpets, you are supposed to cover roughly 80% of your floor area. This is not unusual. Many leases contain language to this effect. The carpets do help a lot. You must pay for your own rugs; the landlord does not provide any furnishings.

Thank you! Reg carpets, do tenants buy on their own or stuytown helps them buy specified carpets (at a cost ofcourse)?
I am actually expecting to hear back something reg lottery apartment in 2-3 weeks time (based on the eta they gave) - will update the group accordingly!

Old 06-16-2021, 08:26 PM

272 posts, read 534,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavi View Post
Thank you! Reg carpets, do tenants buy on their own or stuytown helps them buy specified carpets (at a cost ofcourse)?
I am actually expecting to hear back something reg lottery apartment in 2-3 weeks time (based on the eta they gave) - will update the group accordingly!
Let me share my pro tip on noise. In my building sound travels. I run the fans on my A.C. units as much as possible and that drowns out a lot of the noise. Plus that drowns out my noise for others. If you get one of these apartments at these prices you can get wall to wall carpeting installed before you move in. They do it in a day.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:38 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Tenants buy their own rugs and carpeting. Before you move in you can ask if the landlord has any deals, but I don’t think so. There are no “specified carpets.” You can go to Ikea and buy something inexpensive.

I do have wall-to-wall carpeting in the bedrooms and also in the hallway. I have an area rug with good padding in the living room.

I think it is the rare apartment building where you don’t hear your neighbors at all. That’s just the nature of communal living.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:56 AM

64 posts, read 95,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavi View Post
Bavi,

Where you able to get in contact with StuyLotto after submitting your documents? I believe you were under 50 so they should be reaching out to you first. I am thinking of sending a follow up email in 2 weeks if I do not receive any confirmation, just to try to confirm that my documents have been received.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmrivs View Post
Bavi,

Where you able to get in contact with StuyLotto after submitting your documents? I believe you were under 50 so they should be reaching out to you first. I am thinking of sending a follow up email in 2 weeks if I do not receive any confirmation, just to try to confirm that my documents have been received.
Hi- yes after many many tries and follow-up emails, I was able to talk to someone on the phone. Yes my log number is under 50. Good luck with your application!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:15 AM

8 posts, read 8,814 times
Has anyone moved-in or seen an apartment yet from the 2021 lottery?

Old 06-19-2021, 02:28 PM

52 posts, read 64,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalmnyc View Post
Has anyone moved-in or seen an apartment yet from the 2021 lottery?
Not me but if anyone hears back (either gets an apartment offer or gets rejected) plz let us know how long it took after you submitted all your documentation (like background check, financials etc) to hear back!

Old 06-21-2021, 11:49 AM

50 posts, read 73,822 times
My coworker recently signed a lease for a 2 bedroom as part of the 2021 lottery. He says it took 3 weeks from when they requested the paperwork (he submitted paperwork a day later) and lease signing. His number was in the low 100s. He was unable to view the apartment in person and was just shown photos. I didn't see photos but coworker confirmed that the apartment appeared to be renovated but was smaller than he hoped which I found odd. I know a couple who live in a 1 bedroom and I think their apt is huge. I wonder if they offered him a Junior/Flex apt. I hope not! GL to everyone!

We submitted our paperwork last week and I've been refreshing my inbox constantly hoping to hear back as quickly as my coworker did. My number is in the 400s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery