Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 11:59 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times

Advertisements

Wow, that's great to hear. They're moving pretty fast!

The one bedrooms are all the same size in Stuy Town. They are larger in Peter Cooper Village. I assume your coworker is moving into Stuy Town. Do you know if the couple with the larger apartment live in PCV? That is the only thing that would account for the Stuy Town apartment being smaller in comparison.

In ST there are just a handful of studio apartments, which were built recently out of storage rooms, but I doubt any of those were "flexed" into one-bedrooms.

Glad to know the apartment seems to be renovated! Do you know approximately how much the rent is? Also, do you know which building he is moving into? If you don't want to put this information on this board in public, please message me through this site and I will not reveal any personal information, ever.

Sorry to pump you for information, but this is the first time anyone has actually posted about a successful lease!

I'm kind of surprised that your coworker wasn't able to actually view the unit. That's like the old days!

Good luck to you! What size apartment are you going for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 12:16 PM

50 posts, read 73,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Wow, that's great to hear. They're moving pretty fast!

The one bedrooms are all the same size in Stuy Town. They are larger in Peter Cooper Village. I assume your coworker is moving into Stuy Town. Do you know if the couple with the larger apartment live in PCV? That is the only thing that would account for the Stuy Town apartment being smaller in comparison.

In ST there are just a handful of studio apartments, which were built recently out of storage rooms, but I doubt any of those were "flexed" into one-bedrooms.

Glad to know the apartment seems to be renovated! Do you know approximately how much the rent is? Also, do you know which building he is moving into? If you don't want to put this information on this board in public, please message me through this site and I will not reveal any personal information, ever.

Sorry to pump you for information, but this is the first time anyone has actually posted about a successful lease!

I'm kind of surprised that your coworker wasn't able to actually view the unit. That's like the old days!

Good luck to you! What size apartment are you going for?
Hi, the couple that I know live in the oval. Not sure if this is StuyTown or PCV but have only ever said they lived in StuyTown. Their apartment is large for NY standards IMO. Their kitchen opens up to the livingroom which is really nice and they have a large dining area.

Coworker didn't share any additional particulars but appeared to be very pleased with the rent amount.

I'm sure they didn't allow him to view in person because of covid. I don't know whether he has actually started the move in process with his family yet but the lease had to be signed within a few days of offer. This is also stated in the email requesting paperwork.

We have a larger family and are trying for a 3 bedroom. I imagine there are more 1 and 2 bedrooms so I don't expect to hear back as quickly as my coworker did. Good Luck!

Old 06-21-2021, 12:21 PM

The Oval is a very nice location, beautiful. Right in the heart of Stuy Town. And their apartment must have been renovated very recently if the kitchen opens up to the living room. I think that is the "platinum" renovation.

Yes, there are fewer three-bedrooms than the other sizes, but if you were contacted for your info, I bet they have one for you! Good luck!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-21-2021 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 12:27 PM

50 posts, read 73,774 times
Quote:
The Oval is a very nice location, beautiful. Right in the heart of Stuy Town. And their apartment must have been renovated very recently if the kitchen opens up to the living room.
They've lived there for at least 2 years but now that I think about it, the kitchen may just have a large cutout into the livingroom and not be completely open. I haven't visited post covid but I do remember sitting in an island/bar while in the livingroom and facing the kitchen.

Also, I've never been to my coworker's home so it's possible that our opinions on what he considers small/large differ. I'm hoping this is the case and that they're not offering flex/junior apartments.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:47 PM

Well, since you are going for a three bedroom, be sure to study the floor plans in advance and make sure you are getting a real three bedroom and not a "flex" three bedroom. That is where the living room has been walled off and turned into a "den," and you would have a windowless "living and dining area" instead.

If there is any ambiguity, press them and make them send you the floor plan for the unit are you getting!!

This link below is a flex three bedroom and not a real three bedroom. You can see that the original living room has been walled off. They are also called it a three bedroom "junior."

https://www.stuytown.com/nyc-apartme...-avenue-c/03-d

This is an example of a real three bedroom (with a fancy platinum remodel).

https://www.stuytown.com/nyc-apartme...sant-oval/05-f

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-21-2021 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 02:47 PM

239 posts, read 321,059 times
It is excellent news to hear they are moving fast once they make contact. 3 weeks after contact, that's amazing! Here's hoping they keep processing at this clip and, I may get contacted this summer! A question for any in the know, would I have to record my son's summer job as income? He wasn't working when I applied and was away in college but, by the time I'm likely to get contacted he will have some paychecks. Would this affect my application? as, I was not purposely omitting it.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:11 PM

According to the marketing handbook, the income of all the adults in the household is included. An adult is someone over the age of 18. He may have to submit pay stubs.

It won't affect your application unless this amount of money will push you over the limit. But even with that, there are special rules for income lasting under a year.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Old 06-21-2021, 07:52 PM

64 posts, read 95,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaCash View Post
They've lived there for at least 2 years but now that I think about it, the kitchen may just have a large cutout into the livingroom and not be completely open. I haven't visited post covid but I do remember sitting in an island/bar while in the livingroom and facing the kitchen.

Also, I've never been to my coworker's home so it's possible that our opinions on what he considers small/large differ. I'm hoping this is the case and that they're not offering flex/junior apartments.

That's odd that they did not let them view the apartment. When I called the Stuytown Lottery number, the woman in the other side said I would have a chance to view a unit before I signed any lease. Maybe she meant view through photos...

Old 06-21-2021, 07:59 PM

64 posts, read 95,322 times
Quote:
5,xxx is not a bad number! There’s hope! But I thought you had gotten a Penn South apartment already. Of course, you could always move.

For Mollie and anyone else with a decent log number, I suggest you come for a visit on a nice day and check out StuyTown for yourself. Make your way to the center of it, where there is a large grassy area called the Oval. The 5 Stuy Cafe has a nice outdoor seating area, or you could just get takeout. If you come on a Sunday, the farmers’ market will be open starting May 16.

I took your suggestion and visited Stuytown/PCV yesterday (Sunday). It was huge. I am pretty sure I missed a ton of playgrounds/other things. I tried to find the farmer's market but was not successful. Overall, it seems like a nice play to live. Wish I would have been able to see the inside of a building but maybe in the future I will have the opportunity.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:03 PM

The farmers' market closes at four p.m., so maybe you were later than that? Did you see a huge round grassy area with people sitting in Adirondack chairs? That's the Oval. The farmers' market is near the Oval.

I'm glad you thought it is a nice place to live. I think so too. When you get called, I'll take you on a tour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery