Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2021, 04:41 PM

345 posts, read 853,507 times

Advertisements

Is there a curfew for the playgrounds within Stuytown. I wouldn't want to have an apartment next to a playground where people are going to be hanging out till 1 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 07:09 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
I don’t know if there’s a curfew, but since you need a key card to get in, it’s possible that access is cut off at a certain time. I live right next to one of the playgrounds, and if I hear any noise from there at night, I call security and they send someone over.

No one would be hanging out late.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:56 AM

345 posts, read 853,507 times
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:45 AM

8 posts, read 8,810 times
macnyc2003, I've worked closely with affordable housing lotteries (not stuy town), but owner/developers in general are not allowed to convert 1 bedrooms to 2 bedroom, etc for affordable housing programs.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalmnyc View Post
macnyc2003, I've worked closely with affordable housing lotteries (not stuy town), but owner/developers in general are not allowed to convert 1 bedrooms to 2 bedroom, etc for affordable housing programs.
Thanks for that information! It's so helpful when professionals like you are on the board!

The reason for my concern is that the "flex" apartments have been established at Stuy Town for quite a few years, maybe 15 or even longer. For instance, when you search for apartments on the official Stuy Town site and put in "two bedrooms," quite a few of the hits will be for the converted one bedrooms. Lumping them in together like that indicated to me that ST might really see them that way.

On the site, you can further filter by selecting either "full size" or "junior." So there is that.

I'm very happy that only full-size apartments are being leased via this lottery!

Old 06-29-2021, 09:25 AM

50 posts, read 73,805 times
Quick update: Someone from Stuytown reached out and acknowledged receipt of the paperwork I submitted. They asked me whether I had a pet (I have a puppy and needed to provide photo of puppy, Rabies Certificate and NYS License) and asked me the size of apartment I'm looking for. I provided the information and received a quick response letting me know that I have been added back on the waitlist for a 3 bedroom and will be contacted once one becomes available. Once I'm contacted, I have to resubmit all of the paperwork again.

Apparently there are no 3 bedrooms available at this time and they do not have a timeline for when one will become available. Until then, I plan on emailing them once every couple of months. Very frustrated and sad but wish you all lots of good luck!

Old 06-29-2021, 09:56 AM

Wow, GiaCash, sorry about that. Three-bedrooms are definitely relatively rare. I don't know your household information, but could you also consider a two-bedroom in Peter Cooper Village?

Those rooms are much larger, and you would get a second bathroom. My Stuy Town neighbors opted for that a number of years ago. The living room is so big, it's possible you could partition off a third bedroom, depending on the layout. Just something to think about.

I'm assuming that apartments in PCV are included in this lottery. You could always inquire.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:01 AM

50 posts, read 73,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Wow, GiaCash, sorry about that. Three-bedrooms are definitely relatively rare. I don't know your household information, but could you also consider a two-bedroom in Peter Cooper Village?

Those rooms are much larger, and you would get a second bathroom. My Stuy Town neighbors opted for that a number of years ago. The living room is so big, it's possible you could partition off a third bedroom, depending on the layout. Just something to think about.

I'm assuming that apartments in PCV are included in this lottery. You could always inquire.
Thank you. I considered it but it doesn't make sense for us. I'm still keeping hope that I will be called for a 3 bedroom. While inventory is low, I have a low log number and I'm sure most people are applying for 1 and 2 bedrooms. It still stings. I'll keep you all updated if anything changes.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,158 times
Hi all! I’ve just gone thru the process log# under 300. I have been doing these lotteries for 10years. This one went fast!!! Was offered a lease maybe 4 weeks after I was contacted for initial eligibility paperwork. Had to go back and forth several times as they were asking for more info. Got the congratulatory email for a 1bedroom. Totally renovated new stainless steal appliances. No microwave though. Updated bathroom. Floors were not new but whatever. The finishes are on the classic side of things but new and quite nice. You can tell the apartment used to be a flex 2 bedroom because of the lines on floor where makeshift walls used to be. Rent is around 1750 rent stabilized, Utilities included but an additional AC surcharge. . Please feel free to ask questions I’ll check this blog periodically. I believe in transparency to help everyone out with this grueling process.

Took a bike ride to get a feel for Neighborhood and I loved the serenity can’t wait to meet new community.
Good luck to everyone!!

Old 06-29-2021, 10:58 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudsinger711 View Post
Hi all! I’ve just gone thru the process log# under 300. I have been doing these lotteries for 10years. This one went fast!!! Was offered a lease maybe 4 weeks after I was contacted for initial eligibility paperwork. Had to go back and forth several times as they were asking for more info. Got the congratulatory email for a 1bedroom. Totally renovated new stainless steal appliances. No microwave though. Updated bathroom. Floors were not new but whatever. The finishes are on the classic side of things but new and quite nice. You can tell the apartment used to be a flex 2 bedroom because of the lines on floor where makeshift walls used to be. Rent is around 1750 rent stabilized, Utilities included but an additional AC surcharge. . Please feel free to ask questions I’ll check this blog periodically. I believe in transparency to help everyone out with this grueling process.

Took a bike ride to get a feel for Neighborhood and I loved the serenity can’t wait to meet new community.
Good luck to everyone!!
Wow, congratulations! Which side are you on? The 14th or the 23rd street end?

In any case enjoy your new apartment - how exciting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery