Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 05:41 PM

347 posts, read 456,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
Got sent a document request for 5 pointz sent all my documents...then they sent me a email to pick my apartment preferences...now I have to view the apartment I want...anybody else went through this process with 5 pointz?
Congrats hope it all works out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 06:41 PM

72 posts, read 91,110 times
tomorrow is last day for uplaod document is there any differences btwn uploaded documents and and take with you without uploading ?
our family 2020 icmoe is less than desired gap but 2019 is okay what to know?
Guarantor is accepted or not ?

Old 08-20-2021, 09:33 AM

248 posts, read 402,740 times
I withdrew from the process at the signing stage. It was a gut-wrenching decision but ultimately the right one for me. I even consulted a friend's partner who is a financial planner to see if I had my head straight around the numbers. It was simply more than I should reasonably spend on housing and I know there will be other opportunities eventually.

I absolutely loved the apartment I saw even though I didn't WANT to and even though it is smaller than my current place. I didn't even tour the amenities because I'm not paying for that anyway, plus I was using my cane that day so I didn't want to be pointlessly dragged around to see things I don't care about.

I learned a valuable lesson going forward though since I now know exactly what I can afford over and above what I'm paying now.

Good luck to everyone else. If you get apartment 613, invite me over and I'll bring a housewarming gift and stand in your enormous walk-in closet and cry a little.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:02 AM

580 posts, read 728,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
I withdrew from the process at the signing stage. It was a gut-wrenching decision but ultimately the right one for me. I even consulted a friend's partner who is a financial planner to see if I had my head straight around the numbers. It was simply more than I should reasonably spend on housing and I know there will be other opportunities eventually.

I absolutely loved the apartment I saw even though I didn't WANT to and even though it is smaller than my current place. I didn't even tour the amenities because I'm not paying for that anyway, plus I was using my cane that day so I didn't want to be pointlessly dragged around to see things I don't care about.

I learned a valuable lesson going forward though since I now know exactly what I can afford over and above what I'm paying now.

Good luck to everyone else. If you get apartment 613, invite me over and I'll bring a housewarming gift and stand in your enormous walk-in closet and cry a little.
Thanks for sharing this with us Anxiety. Sounds like a sensible decision. There's always something great that comes around. These apartments, amenities, and whatever else is being touted are cool but end of the day you're using your real hard earned money every month to pay these out and it can get expensive. Especially in your case since you have a place that is already bigger.

My situation is that I'm living with family so I don't even have my own place yet so the urgency on my end is to get something soon. Does not even need to be 5 Pointz if there are equivalent lottery opportunities. But something from this housing lottery would be nice.

And yeah whoever gets apartment 613 hopefully this post is remembered!

Old 08-20-2021, 10:19 AM

412 posts, read 594,384 times
I think this pandemic has made a lot of people including myself reconsider our finances including what we should spend on rent. My username is short for rent is too d* high and it really is.. I'm sure you made the best decision for you and there are always more lotteries in the future.
Did you consider a studio? Ultimately if you turned it down, then it wasn't right for you. Thanks for the update!

Old 08-20-2021, 11:13 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,839,601 times
Thanks for sharing! I hope there will be other opportunities that suit your preference & fit to your housing budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post

Old 08-20-2021, 11:36 AM

248 posts, read 402,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
I think this pandemic has made a lot of people including myself reconsider our finances including what we should spend on rent. My username is short for rent is too d* high and it really is.. I'm sure you made the best decision for you and there are always more lotteries in the future.
Did you consider a studio? Ultimately if you turned it down, then it wasn't right for you. Thanks for the update!
I typically don't consider studios in these new-construction luxury buildings. They are too small for me at this stage in my life. When I browse sales rather than rentals in Jackson Heights/Sunnyside/Woodside, I do look at studios because they are often very spacious with good light and separate kitchens in pre-war buildings. I would also consider a lottery studio if it was walking distance or very close to my office in Midtown (like 222 E 44th or 650 W 42nd.)

I'm willing to downsize in general, but it has to have some other major upsides and lower rent.

Also, I doubt 613 would be very popular with most people since it's on a low floor with a view of the next building. But I prefer low floors, and this unit it is quiet as heck. The kitchen is also not right in the living room. Not totally separate, but you don't lose living room space to the kitchen in that unit. Best of all there is a closet at the front of the unit that is big enough to fit a desk/home office, or a toddler-sized bedroom, or 2-3 dressers plus other stuff. That was in addition to an adequate closet in the bedroom and the W/D closet.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:50 AM

People will take units. This building is also really responsive with the lottery process so I have no doubt it'll get filled in a timely manner. Having said that, don't doubt that you made the right choice for you. I turned down a unit after approval too (elsewhere). Good luck to other people.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:01 PM

580 posts, read 728,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
People will take units. This building is also really responsive with the lottery process so I have no doubt it'll get filled in a timely manner. Having said that, don't doubt that you made the right choice for you. I turned down a unit after approval too (elsewhere). Good luck to other people.
What was your reasoning for turning down the unit after approval?

Old 08-20-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Nomad View Post
What was your reasoning for turning down the unit after approval?
I complained all about it in the center blvd thread but it's been so long and everyone kept asking for status updates you have to go way back for my posts.
Ultimately it wasn't the right time for me. The entire process left a bitter taste in my mouth. The process got dragged out for such a long time with no transparency yet when it was submitted to HPD I wasn't even notified. So in the end they gave me a 2 week move in date. I couldn't sort out my current living situation in 2 weeks let alone pack up and move. I could've made it work but I didn't want to put in the effort as the whole thing felt off. Also they cheaped out on the appliances in the studio. They're not the same as the ones installed in the 1 bed and above.I didn't get to view any units before HPD approval and they didn't give me an option to choose. I was assigned a unit and that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery