Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2021, 07:20 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,059 times

Advertisements

Your current studio & 5Pointz one are both nice. If I may suggest, give it thought about the long run i.e. the rent price (is your current place also a rent stabilized unit? Is it now cheaper/more expensive than the one in 5Pointz? How's the rent increase prediction in the coming years?), location/area, & of course the amenities, will you be using them a lot, is it worth the $$$ that you're going to spend? etc etc. After weighing all these then hopefully you can decide whether or not moving into 5Pointz. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6pbn29o46...54221.mp4?dl=0
This is the studio they showed me...this is the only studio I would think about taking the other ones are smaller than this and sum dnt have washers and dryers in it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 11:16 AM

412 posts, read 593,712 times
This process is a marathon not a sprint. Sending everyone good vibes and hopefully the process is worth it in the end. If it's not right for you, don't take it but even if you do, there's no harm to keep applying to others and keep the search going. Can always move out. Nothing's set in stone.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:20 AM

580 posts, read 728,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
This process is a marathon not a sprint. Sending everyone good vibes and hopefully the process is worth it in the end. If it's not right for you, don't take it but even if you do, there's no harm to keep applying to others and keep the search going. Can always move out. Nothing's set in stone.
Same to you. And yeah end of the day you can keep applying to new lotteries as long as you're eligible so it's not the end of the world if you accept/withdraw. This ain't a mortgage it's just 1-2 year leases.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:13 AM

585 posts, read 584,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Nomad View Post
Same to you. And yeah end of the day you can keep applying to new lotteries as long as you're eligible so it's not the end of the world if you accept/withdraw. This ain't a mortgage it's just 1-2 year leases.
I don't think ima take 5 pointz all the at least livable studio apartments are taken so they offered me the studio apartments that nobody wants ...the ones I saw have weird layouts where u dnt know where u gonna put ur bed or a decent layout and its so small about 250 square feet where ur bed would be 2 steps away from the kitchen or a decent layout on the 5th floor wit no washer dryer and the view is right near the train station and when u open ur window shades people from the train can see directly in your apartment

Old 08-23-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think ima take 5 pointz all the at least livable studio apartments are taken so they offered me the studio apartments that nobody wants ...the ones I saw have weird layouts where u dnt know where u gonna put ur bed or a decent layout and its so small about 250 square feet where ur bed would be 2 steps away from the kitchen or a decent layout on the 5th floor wit no washer dryer and the view is right near the train station and when u open ur window shades people from the train can see directly in your apartment
Wow that's horrible. Yeah there's not many of the "good" studios because there's 5 studio types of the 78 studio units offered in the lottery, and only 1 of those 5 types have a washer/dryer. Not sure what they were thinking omitting features like this from random units. And yeah a lot of these are just too small.

Since you might not take 5 Pointz, you got any other lotteries you got your eye on? Or is it not that urgent for you right now?

Old 08-23-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Wow that's horrible. Yeah there's not many of the "good" studios because there's 5 studio types of the 78 studio units offered in the lottery, and only 1 of those 5 types have a washer/dryer. Not sure what they were thinking omitting features like this from random units. And yeah a lot of these are just too small.

Since you might not take 5 Pointz, you got any other lotteries you got your eye on? Or is it not that urgent for you right now?
Nah it isn't urgent because I have a nice studio now in a 8 story 56 apartment building with ammenties but 5 pointz ammenties are better than mine but I'm not taking a studio that 2 steps away from the kitchen and what the lady said people that was before me took mostly all the decent studios and the studios was quickly filled so now I'm left wit the studio apartments nobody wants but I do have other lottery apartment opportunities that seem to come every week...the only way I'll move from my current apartment is if it's a decent studio in a building like 5 pointz or a beautiful one bedroom in another building...because the studio I have now is beautiful...but eventually I want a one bedroom but it has to be worth me leaving my current studio apartment

Old 08-23-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:

There are over 1000 apartments and they will never get them filled to capacity they will be lucky to get 50 percent full so i don't understand why they give the less desirable apartments to the lottery people

Old 08-23-2021, 10:38 AM

68 posts, read 67,644 times
same thing happens with the Rennie and most of these apts that are new. They will sit empty I guess :-\

Old 08-23-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Nah it isn't urgent because I have a nice studio now in a 8 story 56 apartment building with ammenties but 5 pointz ammenties are better than mine but I'm not taking a studio that 2 steps away from the kitchen and what the lady said people that was before me took mostly all the decent studios and the studios was quickly filled so now I'm left wit the studio apartments nobody wants but I do have other lottery apartment opportunities that seem to come every week...the only way I'll move from my current apartment is if it's a decent studio in a building like 5 pointz or a beautiful one bedroom in another building...because the studio I have now is beautiful...but eventually I want a one bedroom but it has to be worth me leaving my current studio apartment
That makes sense. Yeah more good things will come along.

Old 08-23-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
There are over 1000 apartments and they will never get them filled to capacity they will be lucky to get 50 percent full so i don't understand why they give the less desirable apartments to the lottery people
Exactly man. They're never going to fill all of those 1000+ units to capacity at those market prices. Too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery