Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2021, 06:51 PM

580 posts, read 730,119 times

Advertisements

@Rnt2dh, @janexstasy, @mia89, @dime99, @jlmusic, @popartist, @jaaane Thanks to you guys as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 12:26 PM

248 posts, read 403,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Nomad View Post
So I have an update. I know some of you guys I talk to often on here (@someoneinqueens, @dime99, @jaaane, @goku23, @feanor, @AnxietyBiscuits, @janexstasy, etc.) may have been curious as to what I would eventually choose. Sorry if I missed anyone haha.

I was approved by 5 Pointz Management + HPD and signed a lease for a 1 bedroom unit. Already paid them and everything. I move in on December 2nd. Process was very smooth as expected with this building management. Price does sting (yes even though it is a lottery it’s still expensive regardless of how it compares to market rate prices), but I should be alright according to my budget calculations.

I’ll stick around on these forums like some of you guys are doing to help provide information to folks, but I’m just glad this process is over lol.
Hi neighbor, welcome to western Queens. It's a lovely place to live. Glad your search is over!

You are at a prime transportation hub with easy access to Brooklyn and Manhattan from Court Square. Don't forget to explore eastward on the 7 train. You will fall in love with Sunnyside, Woodside, and Jackson Heights too.

Hopefully I'll be waving at you from the Sven or Gotham Point within the year.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:49 PM

580 posts, read 730,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
Hi neighbor, welcome to western Queens. It's a lovely place to live. Glad your search is over!

You are at a prime transportation hub with easy access to Brooklyn and Manhattan from Court Square. Don't forget to explore eastward on the 7 train. You will fall in love with Sunnyside, Woodside, and Jackson Heights too.

Hopefully I'll be waving at you from the Sven or Gotham Point within the year.
Great thanks for the info! And you will for sure. Lottery seems to have been working in your favor for the most part; you’ve just been choosing to not move forward. Things are gonna work out.

Old 11-28-2021, 01:35 AM

248 posts, read 403,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Nomad View Post
Great thanks for the info! And you will for sure. Lottery seems to have been working in your favor for the most part; you’ve just been choosing to not move forward. Things are gonna work out.
Yep, I'm only getting low log #s for projects I know I can't afford in the long run, but I have time on my side. I'm able to wait for just the right opportunity.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:44 PM

412 posts, read 595,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietyBiscuits View Post
Yep, I'm only getting low log #s for projects I know I can't afford in the long run, but I have time on my side. I'm able to wait for just the right opportunity.
Lol I don't know why I find the bit about log numbers super funny but yea...
It's tricky with the right timing and lottery win. Hoping something will work out for me before Spring.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:24 AM

18 posts, read 12,938 times
Thanks to everyone in this thread for their contributions, I figured it was time to join and do my part to contribute.

6/8/21 - Pulled log number #33xx. Requested two-bedroom unit for two people. Don't know when they assigned numbers but I applied in early March and this is the date the lottery closed.

10/18/21 - Received request for documentation from the marketing agency.

10/30/21 - Submitted documentation on housing connect.

11/1/21 - Received request for further documentation.

11/4/21 - Marketing agency says they are happy with the documentation. They send over a survey for apartment preferences and a request to book a time to view apartments.

11/21/21 - Viewed three apartments, sent in unit preference the same night.

11/30/21 - Received final income verification documents to sign for HPD approval.

12/1/21 - Submitted signed and notarized income verification documents.

12/2/21 - Marketing agency confirmed that documents were sent to HPD for approval and that I should hear back in 5-10 business days.

MGNY consulting has been great throughout the process They've been helpful, personable, and have quickly returned any emails or phone calls.

Insofar as the building itself is concerned, here are some bullet pointz covering the pros and cons:

- Amenities (common areas, gym, package room, arcade, etc) all look great.
- Charging for rooftop access is ridiculous.
- The outside facade of the building is ugly and looks like it was built on a strict budget.
- The interior of the building looks ghoulishly generic with lots of expensive-looking fake wood and stone and no artwork on the walls. I think they're supposed to be adding graffiti-inspired artwork at some point which is even weirder in my opinion. I will keep an open mind and hope that they do it tastefully and actually follow through on their stated goals of having artist spaces in the retail/commercial areas in the lower floors of the building.
- I'm worried about the noise from the 7 train. The 7 train was shut down the weekend I viewed the apartment. I was reassured that the apartments within earshot of the train have triple-pane windows.

- Generalized statements I can make about the three units I viewed.
- Pros:
-- Kitchen appliances are high quality.
-- Finishes are high quality.
-- Windows are high quality.
-- If the unit has multiple floor-to-ceiling window panes in a row it looks gorgeous.
-- Bathrooms were all of a decent size.
-- Washer / Dryer are high quality.

- Cons:
-- They all felt 100 to 200 sq/ft too small.
-- Evidence of shotty construction abound. Scratches on window sills poorly applied paint etc.
-- "Counter Depth" refrigerators that are not very deep. No way you're getting a pizza box in there.
-- Some weird layouts for a brand new building.
-- I *hate* PTAC HVAC units. They are ugly, loud, and energy inefficient. The humongous beige PTACs are an eyesore.

I've uploaded the videos I took during walkthroughs of each apartment. I won't keep these up forever, but I figured they may be helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9v3vlq34...5JA4JS2Aa?dl=0

Old 12-03-2021, 09:42 AM

603 posts, read 601,954 times
Great info, thank you!

I think Apt 2 would be okay. Apt 3 layout is very odd, nice views.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:22 AM

229 posts, read 241,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgometsbaby View Post
Thanks to everyone in this thread for their contributions, I figured it was time to join and do my part to contribute.

6/8/21 - Pulled log number #33xx. Requested two-bedroom unit for two people. Don't know when they assigned numbers but I applied in early March and this is the date the lottery closed.

10/18/21 - Received request for documentation from the marketing agency.

10/30/21 - Submitted documentation on housing connect.

11/1/21 - Received request for further documentation.

11/4/21 - Marketing agency says they are happy with the documentation. They send over a survey for apartment preferences and a request to book a time to view apartments.

11/21/21 - Viewed three apartments, sent in unit preference the same night.

11/30/21 - Received final income verification documents to sign for HPD approval.

12/1/21 - Submitted signed and notarized income verification documents.

12/2/21 - Marketing agency confirmed that documents were sent to HPD for approval and that I should hear back in 5-10 business days.

MGNY consulting has been great throughout the process They've been helpful, personable, and have quickly returned any emails or phone calls.

Insofar as the building itself is concerned, here are some bullet pointz covering the pros and cons:

- Amenities (common areas, gym, package room, arcade, etc) all look great.
- Charging for rooftop access is ridiculous.
- The outside facade of the building is ugly and looks like it was built on a strict budget.
- The interior of the building looks ghoulishly generic with lots of expensive-looking fake wood and stone and no artwork on the walls. I think they're supposed to be adding graffiti-inspired artwork at some point which is even weirder in my opinion. I will keep an open mind and hope that they do it tastefully and actually follow through on their stated goals of having artist spaces in the retail/commercial areas in the lower floors of the building.
- I'm worried about the noise from the 7 train. The 7 train was shut down the weekend I viewed the apartment. I was reassured that the apartments within earshot of the train have triple-pane windows.

- Generalized statements I can make about the three units I viewed.
- Pros:
-- Kitchen appliances are high quality.
-- Finishes are high quality.
-- Windows are high quality.
-- If the unit has multiple floor-to-ceiling window panes in a row it looks gorgeous.
-- Bathrooms were all of a decent size.
-- Washer / Dryer are high quality.

- Cons:
-- They all felt 100 to 200 sq/ft too small.
-- Evidence of shotty construction abound. Scratches on window sills poorly applied paint etc.
-- "Counter Depth" refrigerators that are not very deep. No way you're getting a pizza box in there.
-- Some weird layouts for a brand new building.
-- I *hate* PTAC HVAC units. They are ugly, loud, and energy inefficient. The humongous beige PTACs are an eyesore.

I've uploaded the videos I took during walkthroughs of each apartment. I won't keep these up forever, but I figured they may be helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h9v3vlq34...5JA4JS2Aa?dl=0

apt 1 is spacious but no view - apt 3 has a weird layout , seems small but nice views

Old 12-06-2021, 10:48 PM

14 posts, read 13,686 times
Congrats letsgometsbaby!!!

We were given exactly same choices of the 2BR apartments back in September, and could choose a floor between 15 and 19. The trains were running on our viewing day, triple pane windows are not enough, you CAN hear them and you can feel them (vibrations), especially the squeaky sounds on the bends. Apt. 2 is a no-no-no for your long term mental health!

Apt 3 (with the view) is the best, we live in it now and can hear the trains (and elevators) only in complete silence, they are as loud as a fly hardly noticeable. The apartment is much more quiet than we've expected.

For the rest, you pointed everything right. There are many miiiinor issues inside the apartments (just some jobs being poorly done), but they are lighting fast to fix everything! Our friends live in the market unit and they had all the same issues initially.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:19 PM

586 posts, read 586,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feanor View Post
Congrats letsgometsbaby!!!

We were given exactly same choices of the 2BR apartments back in September, and could choose a floor between 15 and 19. The trains were running on our viewing day, triple pane windows are not enough, you CAN hear them and you can feel them (vibrations), especially the squeaky sounds on the bends. Apt. 2 is a no-no-no for your long term mental health!

Apt 3 (with the view) is the best, we live in it now and can hear the trains (and elevators) only in complete silence, they are as loud as a fly hardly noticeable. The apartment is much more quiet than we've expected.

For the rest, you pointed everything right. There are many miiiinor issues inside the apartments (just some jobs being poorly done), but they are lighting fast to fix everything! Our friends live in the market unit and they had all the same issues initially.
Yea alot of these new big buildings have issues and the reason I didn't move to 5 pointz it's just too many people ots over 1100 apartments and when u actually see people in the ammenties it doesn't look that impressive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery