Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2021, 07:30 PM

580 posts, read 727,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia89 View Post
Yup that is completely fine. Not trying to convince people that TBS is worth the money. For some it is for others it is not. I personally believe 2600 is underpriced if only if you are able to grab one of the river-facing 1beds. 13 units are reserved for lottery which was confirmed by Devin who is in charge for lottery and she actually showed those units during last Sunday's tour. Once again, I am a firm believer that TBS is worth extra couple hundred bucks more than regular decent 1 beds in any BK or Queens area due to view, atmosphere around the brother/sister buildings and aura it has. You do feel "different" when you enter the lobby. Do you mind sharing any alternatives to TBS worth considering in BK close to the river or upcoming gotham?
I agree with Mia here. It’s absolutely worth it if you somehow secure a river view apartment. Brooklyn views should be cheaper but that’s unfortunately how the lottery is most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 08:08 PM

124 posts, read 112,747 times
According to HPD, Your voucher doesn’t have to cover the entire rent if you have income. As long as you’re not paying more than 30 percent from your monthly income (after the voucher has been applied to your rent) then you should be fine. I feel like my chances are good. As for the views, I don’t really care about which ones I get because the building is just so freaking gorgeous. Keyless entry, w/d in my apt had me sold. Besides, in this building we have access to a rooftop and other areas that will afford you some of most beautiful views of the city. Honestly, I am just humbled to be selected with such a low Log #3x number. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:16 PM

22 posts, read 26,438 times
Anyone with updates on Reside NY for this lottery, what log number they're up to?

Old 11-30-2021, 11:48 PM

233 posts, read 289,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPecan View Post
According to HPD, Your voucher doesn’t have to cover the entire rent if you have income. As long as you’re not paying more than 30 percent from your monthly income (after the voucher has been applied to your rent) then you should be fine. I feel like my chances are good. As for the views, I don’t really care about which ones I get because the building is just so freaking gorgeous. Keyless entry, w/d in my apt had me sold. Besides, in this building we have access to a rooftop and other areas that will afford you some of most beautiful views of the city. Honestly, I am just humbled to be selected with such a low Log #3x number. I will definitely keep everyone posted.
Thank you so much for sharing this info! I have a Section 8 housing choice voucher issued to me by NYCHA. Do you happen to know if I will qualify? I am concerned that the payment standards might not be the same across different housing authorities even though they’re the exact same federal voucher. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2021, 09:28 AM

124 posts, read 112,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posthomealone View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this info! I have a Section 8 housing choice voucher issued to me by NYCHA. Do you happen to know if I will qualify? I am concerned that the payment standards might not be the same across different housing authorities even though they’re the exact same federal voucher. Thanks!
Section 8 usually covers the entire rent or at least the majority of it. Being federally funded they have a much bigger budget than the city housing programs.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:35 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
"The PHA determines a payment standard that is the amount generally needed to rent a moderately-priced dwelling unit in the local housing market and that is used to calculate the amount of housing assistance a family will receive. However the payment standard does not limit and does not affect the amount of rent a landlord may charge or the family may pay. A family which receives a housing voucher can select a unit with a rent that is below or above the payment standard. The housing voucher family must pay 30% of its monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities, and if the unit rent is greater than the payment standard the family is required to pay the additional amount. By law, whenever a family moves to a new unit where the rent exceeds the payment standard, the family may not pay more than 40 percent of its adjusted monthly income for rent."

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/...out/fact_sheet

Also while NYC's voucher program recently raised max rents, like federal Section 8 there are limits. If voucher holder can find an apartment where rent equals or is less that total voucher payment, all is good. https://www.amny.com/opinion/op-ed-s...golden-ticket/

Last edited by BugsyPal; 12-01-2021 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-01-2021, 01:54 PM

233 posts, read 289,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
"The PHA determines a payment standard that is the amount generally needed to rent a moderately-priced dwelling unit in the local housing market and that is used to calculate the amount of housing assistance a family will receive. However the payment standard does not limit and does not affect the amount of rent a landlord may charge or the family may pay. A family which receives a housing voucher can select a unit with a rent that is below or above the payment standard. The housing voucher family must pay 30% of its monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities, and if the unit rent is greater than the payment standard the family is required to pay the additional amount. By law, whenever a family moves to a new unit where the rent exceeds the payment standard, the family may not pay more than 40 percent of its adjusted monthly income for rent."

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/...out/fact_sheet
Thank you so much! I guess where I’m stuck is in regards to Exception Payment Standards (EPS).

There are multiple Housing Authorities in NYC that administer the exact same voucher: the federal Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV). However, I’m not sure if they all utilize EPS because each housing authority is technically able to make their own rules.

The 3 housing authorities that offer the HCV in NYC are HPD, NYCHA, and HCR (I think).

My voucher is issued by NYCHA

I know for sure that HPD utilizes EPS, which essentially means that a HCV issued by HPD is worth more in Greenpoint (exception payment standards are offered in certain neighborhoods/ zip codes which makes the voucher worth more in order to give voucher holders the opportunity to move to areas that would otherwise be prohibitively expensive).

If NyCHa does in fact utilize EPS, and if they let me pay 40% of my adjusted monthly income, then I would qualify for this building. However, there’s a lot of “ifs”

I reached out to reside and NyCHa to ask about this but Reside isn’t sure and NYCHA does not respond to phone calls or emails, unfortunately…

Thanks for all the insight! You all are the best!

Old 12-03-2021, 09:30 AM

325 posts, read 393,835 times
Hey Mia,

Any updates on your application?

Old 12-03-2021, 11:43 AM

32 posts, read 38,078 times
Nope. Nothing yet.

I guess the application review is slower than usual because of the holiday season.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:00 PM

325 posts, read 393,835 times
Ohh i thought you were past review. Weren't you invited to view a unit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery