Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 10:53 AM

75 posts, read 96,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentoodamnhigh View Post
Haha. I think I have applied for every building since I found out about Housing Connect in 2012. I have lots of practice being patient with these things.
If you accept a lottery unit are you still able to participate in other lotteries? Or is it like a one and done kind of deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 10:56 AM

726 posts, read 808,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyxo View Post
If you accept a lottery unit are you still able to participate in other lotteries? Or is it like a one and done kind of deal?
You can always apply

521 posts, read 505,971 times
Quote:
You can apply to other lotteries. Some people move from lottery building to lottery building.

644 posts, read 734,256 times
Quote:
You can continue to Apply. A lot of people here have lived in multiple affordable apartments. It just gets tricky to move from one to another cause the timing with lottery apartments is very irregular.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:00 AM

75 posts, read 96,276 times
Thanks for the info! But fair point with the timing. Right now I think it’ll be fairly easy for me to break my lease. Maybe less so in a lottery building. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the bigger buildings have procedures in place if you want to break your lease. (As in, very doable, but with a fee.)

Old 10-04-2022, 11:08 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,861,108 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! But fair point with the timing. Right now I think it’ll be fairly easy for me to break my lease. Maybe less so in a lottery building. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the bigger buildings have procedures in place if you want to break your lease. (As in, very doable, but with a fee.)
Not necessarily. My building would not let me break my lease. I had to "abandon" my apartment (fully move out) turn in my keys and send an email to management that I was giving up ALL rights to the apartment. Once I did that, they started looking for someone to take over the lease. In the interim, I continued to pay rent, luckily only took 6 weeks.

I would say, check the lease first, then email management, if you are lucky they work with you. Some will not....

Old 10-04-2022, 11:25 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times
Also, calculate your moving cost because it's not cheap, not to mention packing & unpacking is exhausting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Not necessarily. My building would not let me break my lease. I had to "abandon" my apartment (fully move out) turn in my keys and send an email to management that I was giving up ALL rights to the apartment. Once I did that, they started looking for someone to take over the lease. In the interim, I continued to pay rent, luckily only took 6 weeks.

I would say, check the lease first, then email management, if you are lucky they work with you. Some will not....

Old 10-04-2022, 11:32 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,861,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Also, calculate your moving cost because it's not cheap, not to mention packing & unpacking is exhausting!
yep - I would do it again though

Old 10-04-2022, 11:43 AM

800 posts, read 729,668 times
Quote:
Did they contact you to submit more documents? Were you approved? I think you log was in the 4k range if I remember correctly?

Old 10-04-2022, 12:01 PM

521 posts, read 505,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost20 View Post
Did they contact you to submit more documents? Were you approved? I think you log was in the 4k range if I remember correctly?
I was reached in the 5K range so I'd imagine so if that is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery