Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 01:59 PM

603 posts, read 599,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdef1 View Post
I moved in last week and I love it!!! The process can be so frustrating but I promise it is so worth it! I'll try to answer some questions I saw here:

-I am in the E layout and it's amazing. Not a great view of the skyline from the south facing window for whoever asked. But it truly doesn't matter at all, it's so fun to look at all of the trains and all of my guests love the windows and views! It truly doesn't feel like affordable housing, it feels very luxury. The amount of light is outstanding. There is also an app to control the tint of the windows so you can make them darker if the sun is too bright This might sound weird but the apartment definitely feels bigger once you are in it and with furniture so if you tour and it seems a little small - it's still bigger than a lot of the other layouts. Kitchen is designed perfectly for a NYC apartment. Lots of storage. Bedroom is big enough for my full size bed, nightstand, chest of drawers and a work desk.
- All utilities included except wifi which isn't that expensive. It's already wired so it can be set up in 5 minutes.
-Amenities fee is $1000 for one year, all paid upfront. Worth it for the gym facilities alone in my opinion!
-All apartments have W/D in unit as far as I know.
-The neighborhood is so much better than we expected. More food options than I thought down Jackson Ave plus Sven is very close to Astoria. Feels like you get the best of both worlds. Supermarkets right across the street are expensive but useful in a pinch and Trader Joe's is close by for a more affordable option. There is also a deli right down the street past where they are building the new park.
- Building staff is amazing! They treat everyone with respect and try to be as helpful as possible for any situation.

To be honest, I followed the process through thinking I wouldn't take it in the end because I was skeptical of the neighborhood, space, etc. but now I can't imagine having not taken this apartment.
That's awesome! Enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 02:11 PM

175 posts, read 176,895 times
Quote:
I moved in last week and I love it!!! The process can be so frustrating but I promise it is so worth it! I'll try to answer some questions I saw here:

-I am in the E layout and it's amazing. Not a great view of the skyline from the south facing window for whoever asked. But it truly doesn't matter at all, it's so fun to look at all of the trains and all of my guests love the windows and views! It truly doesn't feel like affordable housing, it feels very luxury. The amount of light is outstanding. There is also an app to control the tint of the windows so you can make them darker if the sun is too bright This might sound weird but the apartment definitely feels bigger once you are in it and with furniture so if you tour and it seems a little small - it's still bigger than a lot of the other layouts. Kitchen is designed perfectly for a NYC apartment. Lots of storage. Bedroom is big enough for my full size bed, nightstand, chest of drawers and a work desk.
- All utilities included except wifi which isn't that expensive. It's already wired so it can be set up in 5 minutes.
-Amenities fee is $1000 for one year, all paid upfront. Worth it for the gym facilities alone in my opinion!
-The neighborhood is so much better than we expected. More food options than I thought down Jackson Ave plus Sven is very close to Astoria. Feels like you get the best of both worlds. Supermarkets right across the street are expensive but useful in a pinch and Trader Joe's is close by for a more affordable option. There is also a deli right down the street past where they are building the new park.
- Building staff is amazing! They treat everyone with respect and try to be as helpful as possible for any situation.

To be honest, I followed the process through thinking I wouldn't take it in the end because I was skeptical of the neighborhood, space, etc. but now I can't imagine having not taken this apartment.
I 100% agree with you! The building in person is so nice and the staff have been very nice and welcoming. Happy you’re enjoying it!!

Old 10-05-2022, 09:04 PM

151 posts, read 134,706 times
Quote:

Thanks so much for the review! I also chose E and was just officially offered the unit today. I have to schedule a viewing. Do you feel safe walking around Sven at night?

Old 10-06-2022, 10:56 AM

26 posts, read 24,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyxo View Post
Thank you for providing so much detail, abcdef1! Very much appreciated. Can I ask how much furniture you fit in the living/dining space?
My living area is still a little sparse since I moved from my parents apartment so all new furniture So far, I have a 40 inch circular table in the kitchen area with 4 chairs and there's still more than enough room on both sides for walking/cooking/etc. In the living room, I have a large 114 inch sectional that could fit like 4-5 people on it along the long wall. We mounted the 55 inch tv to make more space for accent chairs near window. Still can fit more, we just don't want to block windows with bulky furniture so it's up to your design style!

Old 10-06-2022, 11:02 AM

26 posts, read 24,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy_ View Post
Thanks so much for the review! I also chose E and was just officially offered the unit today. I have to schedule a viewing. Do you feel safe walking around Sven at night?
Yes! I was worried about this too but right around Northern Boulevard where the planet fitness is turning onto Jackson Ave where all the stores/restaurants are, it feels very safe. Lots of foot traffic even around 10pm. A few places are open late like Paris Baguette closes at 10pm, supermarket is open until 11pm, so it's not as desolate as I thought it might be. I probably wouldn't walk towards the Dutch Kills area because it's darker/less people and I am a woman, so naturally a little more dangerous. Overall, I do feel safe! Sorry for all the detail LOL

Old 10-06-2022, 11:13 AM

75 posts, read 96,265 times
Quote:
My living area is still a little sparse since I moved from my parents apartment so all new furniture So far, I have a 40 inch circular table in the kitchen area with 4 chairs and there's still more than enough room on both sides for walking/cooking/etc. In the living room, I have a large 114 inch sectional that could fit like 4-5 people on it along the long wall. We mounted the 55 inch tv to make more space for accent chairs near window. Still can fit more, we just don't want to block windows with bulky furniture so it's up to your design style!
That sounds great!

Old 10-06-2022, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,658 times
I've been a lurker here for sometime and this has site has helped me through this process. I officially moved in last week and I'm already in love with this building. The staff is amazing and I'm falling in love with the neighborhood. Below is the timeline for my process. Hopefully, it's helpful to someone out there.

Log #19xx
6/15-request to submit original documents; submitted the same day
8/4-request to send additional documents; submitted documents the same
8/5-Email sent with floor plan options
8/10-Application sent to HPD
8/11-Application approved

I viewed the apartment the following weekend and signed the lease on the following week. I chose L floor plan and I do not regret it. It does have some weird angles, but look a lot better in person than the floor plan. I have a beautiful view. I can see multiple bridges, what I believe is the East River (I'm a native NYer, but horrible at geography). I also see some of the N train as well. I do not hear train and anything for the most part. I do occasionally hear planes.

If you're moving in, please make sure to follow have the COI and HHA forms needed. They do not budge.
There's a $50 lockout fee. I was concerned I'd lock myself out taking out the trash, but I've learned to just leave the deadbolt on lol. I've seen a few people through fits at the concierge service when they find out the about fee. Hopefully, they adjust this in the future; it does seem quite excessive when it's just a key card.

All in all, I'm happy here so far.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,658 times
I've been a lurker here for sometime and this has site has helped me through this process. I officially moved in last week and I'm already in love with this building. The staff is amazing and I'm falling in love with the neighborhood. Below is the timeline for my process. Hopefully, it's helpful to someone out there.

Log #19xx
6/15-request to submit original documents; submitted the same day
8/4-request to send additional documents; submitted documents the same
8/5-Email sent with floor plan options
8/10-Application sent to HPD
8/11-Application approved

I viewed the apartment the following weekend and signed the lease on the following week. I chose L floor plan and I do not regret it. It does have some weird angles, but look a lot better in person than the floor plan. I have a beautiful view. I can see multiple bridges, what I believe is the East River (I'm a native NYer, but horrible at geography). I also see some of the N train as well. I do not hear train and anything for the most part. I do occasionally hear planes.

If you're moving in, please make sure to follow have the COI and HHA forms needed. They do not budge.
There's a $50 lockout fee. I was concerned I'd lock myself out taking out the trash, but I've learned to just leave the deadbolt on lol. I've seen a few people throw fits at the concierge service when they find out the about fee. Hopefully, they adjust this in the future; it does seem quite excessive when it's just a key card.

All in all, I'm happy here so far.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:34 PM

800 posts, read 729,473 times
Thank you for sharing your experience @BkBuddy214! Congrats on your new home and glad you like it! It seems everyone has had a quick turnaround after submitting the additional docs. I submitted mine 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear anything.

Anxiety is killing me

Old 10-06-2022, 02:34 PM

800 posts, read 729,473 times
Okay I’m embarrassed of all my complaining lol but I finally got the email to choose my floorplan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery