Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 01:46 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
nope, considering my number is so low, they are slow AF... also 4/27 was literally 3 business days. Safe to say, yes we are impatient
Lol, this is SO true! I'm trying to guess when I should hear something but considering they give you 10 business days to respond to the request for docs or decline, it'll be at least 2 weeks until they get up to me (probs 3-4 weeks )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 02:07 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Lol, this is SO true! I'm trying to guess when I should hear something but considering they give you 10 business days to respond to the request for docs or decline, it'll be at least 2 weeks until they get up to me (probs 3-4 weeks )
It's crazy to because no matter where you are in the process, the anxiety is almost the same. I'm literally going to look at apts in a few days, yet, I keep refreshing my email as if I was not contacted.

310 Livingston: Applied
18/6th: Under Review
Plank Road: Applied
1 Boerum: Applied

834 Pacific: rejected
260 Gold: rejected
984: Rejected
One Blue Slip: rejected

Old 05-02-2022, 05:11 PM

42 posts, read 43,105 times
Well, I submitted my documents and I was rejected due to "not meeting the income requirements" and just appealed.

Please let me know if you would think the same way...
I was unemployed for much of 2021 (graduated in 2020 during covid and started my first job August 2021). My yearly salary is 65k with a discretionary annual bonus based on company profit share. In 2021, I got $500. On my 2021 tax returns, because I was only employed 3+ months out of the 12 months in the year so it showed I made 22k-ish (obviously a lot less). However, can housing connect reject me since I wasn't employed for the entire year?? If you do the math of my bi-monthly paystubs x24 I made 65k plus the bonus? The minimum income is $65,315 for the unit and I technically make $65,500 gross per year... I submitted my offer letter that states my yearly salary as well as evidence of the bonus on a paystub. I am just totally confused and lowkey angry that I have to defend this!

What do you all think? Am I in the right? Fingers crossed!

Old 05-02-2022, 06:01 PM

151 posts, read 196,029 times
They are supposed to go based on whichever is higher… Considering your pay stubs reflect 65k+bonus, thats the amount they should be using.
It’s so tricky with bonuses. A lot of people appeal it because it puts them over limit and they state it isn’t guaranteed and win! Yet, someone like yourself, your bonus benefits you.
I would 1000% appeal, because it’s too close to call.. I hope you win!

Old 05-02-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaNYC View Post
Well, I submitted my documents and I was rejected due to "not meeting the income requirements" and just appealed.

Please let me know if you would think the same way...
I was unemployed for much of 2021 (graduated in 2020 during covid and started my first job August 2021). My yearly salary is 65k with a discretionary annual bonus based on company profit share. In 2021, I got $500. On my 2021 tax returns, because I was only employed 3+ months out of the 12 months in the year so it showed I made 22k-ish (obviously a lot less). However, can housing connect reject me since I wasn't employed for the entire year?? If you do the math of my bi-monthly paystubs x24 I made 65k plus the bonus? The minimum income is $65,315 for the unit and I technically make $65,500 gross per year... I submitted my offer letter that states my yearly salary as well as evidence of the bonus on a paystub. I am just totally confused and lowkey angry that I have to defend this!

What do you all think? Am I in the right? Fingers crossed!
Damn, what a pain! You should 100% appeal. They’re also supposed to add 6% of any assets (savings, retirement etc.)to your income so if you have anything that should have given you extra cushion. I hope it works out!

On the plus side, didn’t you just submit docs a couple of days ago? Seems like once they finally contact you they move relatively quick? Maybe?

Good luck! *fingers crossed*

Old 05-02-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Damn, what a pain! You should 100% appeal. They’re also supposed to add 6% of any assets (savings, retirement etc.)to your income so if you have anything that should have given you extra cushion. I hope it works out!

On the plus side, didn’t you just submit docs a couple of days ago? Seems like once they finally contact you they move relatively quick? Maybe?

Good luck! *fingers crossed*
Oh I didn’t know that. Where did you find/see that they’re supposed to take 6% from savings etc? From the handbook? Just wondering bc I have a feeling I will have to appeal to HPD or HDC and anything to make my case will be so helpful!

Yes it took 3 business days from me submitting my documents to getting rejected. Hope the process is fast for you all!

Old 05-02-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Oh I didn’t know that. Where did you find/see that they’re supposed to take 6% from savings etc? From the handbook? Just wondering bc I have a feeling I will have to appeal to HPD or HDC and anything to make my case will be so helpful!

Yes it took 3 business days from me submitting my documents to getting rejected. Hope the process is fast for you all!
Yes, from the handbook, in the 2021 version its page 53 where it talks about assets. If you have over $5000 in total assets they take 6% of the total (or your actual earned income from the assets which ever is higher) and add it to your income. And I just went through the approval process for 350 Clarkson and that's what they did.

"When over $5,000 total, the actual earned income from the
asset is compared to the imputed value (.06 percent of the total) and the
higher of these amounts is added to the household income."

Literally what they did for 350 clarkson is add up all by bank accounts (checking, savings, and CDs, and retirement accounts) and x .06 and then added it to my calculated income.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Yes, from the handbook, in the 2021 version its page 53 where it talks about assets. If you have over $5000 in total assets they take 6% of the total (or your actual earned income from the assets which ever is higher) and add it to your income. And I just went through the approval process for 350 Clarkson and that's what they did.

"When over $5,000 total, the actual earned income from the
asset is compared to the imputed value (.06 percent of the total) and the
higher of these amounts is added to the household income."

Literally what they did for 350 clarkson is add up all by bank accounts (checking, savings, and CDs, and retirement accounts) and x .06 and then added it to my calculated income.
Thank you! I will definitely reference this as I feel like I am going to get re-rejected and will have to appeal to HPD...... this is just all too stressful for me!

Old 05-03-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I will definitely reference this as I feel like I am going to get re-rejected and will have to appeal to HPD...... this is just all too stressful for me!
Did they tell you what they calculated your income to be? If not, I would just lay out your 65k, plus bonus (can you get a letted from your job that the bonus is expected to be the same or higher this year?), and then do the assets calculation yourself and add it to your calculated income and say that is the income you believe is correct.

I'm sorry, this process sounds horrible.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Did they tell you what they calculated your income to be? If not, I would just lay out your 65k, plus bonus (can you get a letted from your job that the bonus is expected to be the same or higher this year?), and then do the assets calculation yourself and add it to your calculated income and say that is the income you believe is correct.

I'm sorry, this process sounds horrible.
No, all it said was I didn't meet the requirement and all it had was 65k. Yeah I was thinking about having my work write me a letter but I already submitted by docs for appeal...

We'll see. And yes, this is horrible and too stressful for me lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery