Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 03:17 AM

229 posts, read 241,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a building where the lottery apartments are different and cheaper looking than the market rate apartments
True.Have you seen any images or videos of the 80 % ami apartments? I guess people are willing to move in this building because of the beautiful views .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 06:55 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,409,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syad8486 View Post
True.Have you seen any images or videos of the 80 % ami apartments? I guess people are willing to move in this building because of the beautiful views .
It looked fine from what I saw. Are there more pictures?

Old 12-07-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a building where the lottery apartments are different and cheaper looking than the market rate apartments
That’s 70% of how these affordable housing units are. People are always saying how the finishes are cheaper, less quality, etc. see it all the time here. Nothing new

Old 12-07-2022, 07:11 AM

526 posts, read 511,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
That’s 70% of how these affordable housing units are. People are always saying how the finishes are cheaper, less quality, etc. see it all the time here. Nothing new
Still probably nicer than 80% of the market rate apartments in this city lol

Old 12-07-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
Still probably nicer than 80% of the market rate apartments in this city lol
What I saw looked fine and very close to market rate.

Do you have pictures?

people are taking this place over 40 Oak so it must be nice.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:06 AM

526 posts, read 511,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
What I saw looked fine and very close to market rate.

Do you have pictures?

people are taking this place over 40 Oak so it must be nice.
I just meant compared to most places in the city, that even if the lottery units are slightly different than the market rate one's for the same building, the lottery units in this building are nicer than a 2500 walk up without amenities which is the majority of the kinds of apartments available in the city. I think it is kind of a silly moral high horse to be saying you would refuse to live in a lottery unit unless it was the exact same as the market rate units in that same building considering the alternative at the same price.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
I just meant compared to most places in the city, that even if the lottery units are slightly different than the market rate one's for the same building, the lottery units in this building are nicer than a 2500 walk up without amenities which is the majority of the kinds of apartments available in the city. I think it is kind of a silly moral high horse to be saying you would refuse to live in a lottery unit unless it was the exact same as the market rate units in that same building considering the alternative at the same price.
Oh yes I agree I think I read your messages wrong.

As someone who has lived in pre-war buildings all my life (my current one with multiple issues) this place is like a haven lol. I would jump at it and not ashamed to admit it.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:05 AM

31 posts, read 25,691 times
I just refused the apartment I was shown yesterday. I was shown a studio in 227 at 120 AMI and it was so tiny compared to the 1 bedroom I live in now. I requested to be on the waitlist for either a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom because otherwise it just isn't worth $2200. I have medical and employee preferences and they acted as if they couldn't upgrade me to another unit due to my preferences because they are "set-aside" apartments. Especially since there are 2 adults on my application, I just felt like this was poorly planned out to give as an option.
Additionally, I was mostly upset at the fact that they use 2 bedrooms that could be for residents as offices essentially taking up space that they dont need.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:21 AM

51 posts, read 47,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirlBklyn View Post
I just refused the apartment I was shown yesterday. I was shown a studio in 227 at 120 AMI and it was so tiny compared to the 1 bedroom I live in now. I requested to be on the waitlist for either a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom because otherwise it just isn't worth $2200. I have medical and employee preferences and they acted as if they couldn't upgrade me to another unit due to my preferences because they are "set-aside" apartments. Especially since there are 2 adults on my application, I just felt like this was poorly planned out to give as an option.
Additionally, I was mostly upset at the fact that they use 2 bedrooms that could be for residents as offices essentially taking up space that they dont need.
Was the unit really that small? :/ do you mind telling me your log #?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 25,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbil64 View Post
Was the unit really that small? :/ do you mind telling me your log #?
My sister lives in a studio in ENY and hers is way bigger. I appreciated the washer and dryer blah blah but I could probably only fit a queen size bed and a real small couch if that. I was really shocked how small it was. My log number is #8xxx and I was called due to my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery