Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,188 times

Advertisements

Boyfriend and I are in the 120% AMI #6xxx (no CB) and got the auto generated request for documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 3,335 times
Post Experience of current resident

I was up last night and found this forum online and I really wish I found this forum while I was applying. Not sure if this thread is still active. heard back from this lottery in August, went through a whole process that I don't want to get into now but signed lease before the 2023 Christmas holiday and moved in right before the new years. 100 percent AMI log number 3xxx

Pros
It's spacious for me with my 524 Sq ft one bedroom as it was an upgrade from my tiny studio
Big walk in closet
Lots of sun in my unit as I'm south facing
Nice views of Brooklyn and Queens
Quiet as the walls are thick
No issues of smoke
I work in fidi so my commute is very short
Professional staff
Good value for the area
Ppl are friendly sometimes compared to other NYC apartments and a community feel probably because of the non profit program

Cons
Electric stove which takes forever to cook food
Construction nearby so a few times the water came out brown
Other day I got asked for a dollar in the elevator
People aren't respectful of the space with keeping it clean
Annoying things and habits like someone will light up a cigarette and already by smoking before they get to their friend's apartment, or the other day a guy was stepping out to walk his dog and already was smoking a cigarette before he got out the elevator
Having to be strategic and waiting for an empty elevator

My space is really nice and once I'm in my unit, I'm in and no one can bother me. I have some mixed feelings living here but it was a better option from my previous place that had so many infrastructure issues and I needed change. I'm thinking of maybe staying until I leave my job (I put an intention this year to leave my job to do something else this year). Be respectful to others and mind my own business as people don't bother if you don't do anything to them and pick times to do laundry when it's not busy. I don't blame or judge people who declined this place since it has support housing residents. There was a new yorker article about how this place is taking a progressive approach with housing formerly homeless people by not waiting until they are better, and the idea that ppl improve once they get housing. I kind of wish that they did screen formerly homeless people that were more housing ready like further in their substance use recovery, stable on their meds, have more know how in how to take care of a home, but I don't make the rules.

Would be nice to have a buddy or two to balance living here and then I focus on my life outside of here.Just focusing on my next steps so I know what I want in my next apartment. I would consider breaking my lease if I found a better deal. Not sure if anyone will read this or if it will be helpful as I think they filled most units

Old 03-09-2024, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,018 times
Log number was 9xxx (no CB.) Heard back a couple weeks ago for a 130% AMI studio, submitted the initial rounds of documents, then toured the model unit and building facilities. Turned it down after because the space was not for me at the asking price ($2k)

The unit itself was small, enough for a single person. However, it smelled awful the moment I walked into the building; like urine in the elevator and thick cigarette smoke on the 15th floor where the apartment was. The amenities were also rather compact for a building of that magnitude; not a lot of washer/dryers in the laundry room and few work spaces in the computer room. The gym was okay but again, not very big.

I may have considered continuing the process if they had offered a 1-bedroom unit because the location is good for commuting to work, but overall I was left disappointed. As others have mentioned, this is supportive housing so there's that. Hope something better turns up and I wish everyone luck in securing a good home for themselves.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 640 times
Does having a low credit score disqualify you? I've been working on my credit along with applying for apts (because I desperately need to move) and I got contacted to submit documents. Will they reject me because of a low score? Does anyone know?

Old 03-12-2024, 03:07 PM

118 posts, read 75,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericaship1 View Post
Does having a low credit score disqualify you? I've been working on my credit along with applying for apts (because I desperately need to move) and I got contacted to submit documents. Will they reject me because of a low score? Does anyone know?
No they wont, as long as you dont have a collections of more than $5,000 on your credit report.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:29 AM

14 posts, read 11,314 times
I just got a request for documents.

No CB, 100% AMI, log #15xxx.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 4,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCatdance View Post
I was up last night and found this forum online and I really wish I found this forum while I was applying. Not sure if this thread is still active. heard back from this lottery in August, went through a whole process that I don't want to get into now but signed lease before the 2023 Christmas holiday and moved in right before the new years. 100 percent AMI log number 3xxx

Pros
It's spacious for me with my 524 Sq ft one bedroom as it was an upgrade from my tiny studio
Big walk in closet
Lots of sun in my unit as I'm south facing
Nice views of Brooklyn and Queens
Quiet as the walls are thick
No issues of smoke
I work in fidi so my commute is very short
Professional staff
Good value for the area
Ppl are friendly sometimes compared to other NYC apartments and a community feel probably because of the non profit program

Cons
Electric stove which takes forever to cook food
Construction nearby so a few times the water came out brown
Other day I got asked for a dollar in the elevator
People aren't respectful of the space with keeping it clean
Annoying things and habits like someone will light up a cigarette and already by smoking before they get to their friend's apartment, or the other day a guy was stepping out to walk his dog and already was smoking a cigarette before he got out the elevator
Having to be strategic and waiting for an empty elevator

My space is really nice and once I'm in my unit, I'm in and no one can bother me. I have some mixed feelings living here but it was a better option from my previous place that had so many infrastructure issues and I needed change. I'm thinking of maybe staying until I leave my job (I put an intention this year to leave my job to do something else this year). Be respectful to others and mind my own business as people don't bother if you don't do anything to them and pick times to do laundry when it's not busy. I don't blame or judge people who declined this place since it has support housing residents. There was a new yorker article about how this place is taking a progressive approach with housing formerly homeless people by not waiting until they are better, and the idea that ppl improve once they get housing. I kind of wish that they did screen formerly homeless people that were more housing ready like further in their substance use recovery, stable on their meds, have more know how in how to take care of a home, but I don't make the rules.

Would be nice to have a buddy or two to balance living here and then I focus on my life outside of here.Just focusing on my next steps so I know what I want in my next apartment. I would consider breaking my lease if I found a better deal. Not sure if anyone will read this or if it will be helpful as I think they filled most units

Which floor did you move into? I broke my lease for this apartment. It’s a total nightmare. The commute and neighborhood is amazing but it’s not worth it. The water was brown for months while I was there. There’s an unbalanced ratio of support housing and affordable housing people. It’s very dangerous. If you are in there I would continue applying for apartments on housing connects and off the market. I stood there 6 months but asked to break my lease like a week in lol these people be having episodes. Some people sell drugs, people spit/throw up on elevators. One time I saw a women naked running out yelling at someone.you won’t ever want to have people over cause you’ll be too embarrassed or worried one of the residents would make a scene. The laundry room sucks. Always packed and dirty. I was too scared to leave my apartment to even use the laundry room.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 4,918 times
If you take the train then look at the people at the high street station. I have seen crackheads there yell at people in the subway and then go right into the 90 sands people. I’m not exaggerating at all. Your neighbors are all the people you would try to avoid on the train. So happy I broke my lease and left. Happy to speak with anyone directly about my experience. Do yourself a favor and do not move there

Old 03-17-2024, 10:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 2,797,163 times
I have to admit I don't understand why they're doing these mixed buildings, at least with the "classic" supportive-housing residents, i.e., homeless people with serious drug and/or psychiatric problems. These are people who *by definition* cannot handle living in regular housing, and since part of being in regular housing is having to share common space with neighbors...they deserve housing, but asking more functional people to live *right* next door to absorb whatever craziness they throw their way is a lot.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:04 AM

121 posts, read 50,740 times
Hey all! I just got a request for Docs for 90 sands. Log # in the 18xxx. Any insight on if its worth it sending in Docs for this building? Do anyone know of any 1 bedrooms are still available at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery