Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 09:08 AM

115 posts, read 68,482 times

Advertisements

dont do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,537 times
I concur with vgome013. DO NOT MOVE HERE. I moved in last year thinking it would be a positive place as I am not biased against the homeless and people suffering from severe mental illness, but I got first-hand experience that they treat this place like the projects. They take long to fix repairs, no heat in the winter they gave me a small portable heater and the security has poor communication skills and some are very rude. Only if it's last resort you should move here. People begging me money inside and at the door this building, I was flabbergasted.

Old 04-02-2023, 04:40 PM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceC0de43 View Post
I concur with vgome013. DO NOT MOVE HERE. I moved in last year thinking it would be a positive place as I am not biased against the homeless and people suffering from severe mental illness, but I got first-hand experience that they treat this place like the projects. They take long to fix repairs, no heat in the winter they gave me a small portable heater and the security has poor communication skills and some are very rude. Only if it's last resort you should move here. People begging me money inside and at the door this building, I was flabbergasted.
Well, as long as you still have an income, you have the opportunity to move. Just take it as a learning experience and keep applying. You will eventually find what you are looking for

Old 04-05-2023, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,485 times
Default possibly moving here

Wondering how safe u felt here besides money heckling? How was moving in like? Do they have carts or anything to help you and can u park close if moving from another spot?
Was the gym busy or essentially empty (looked empty when I visited). There's no heat in winter??
Any rat/cockroach issues? Trying to see if it's worth moving and how much of a hassle it'd be or not. Would love more input in the building itself. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2023, 12:52 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,396,164 times
Gen pop log #3k and was asked to submit documents today

Old 08-03-2023, 01:34 PM

171 posts, read 128,156 times
I’m gen pop as well, log 1,XXX but my application has been pending since June.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:34 AM

75 posts, read 57,336 times
log# 14xxx, no preferences. haven’t heard anything

Old 08-25-2023, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2022 View Post
It was good. Amazing view. However they allowed smoking in unit. People just moved in last week and they smoke and it's smelly already. I asked her if she has any one bedroom with bath tub in higher floor? and told her about the smoking. She didn't get back to me yet from yesterday. Before she told me to let her know if I accept the unit after the tour.

Hi neighbor! I also moved into this building through the lottery. I've been living here for 1.5 months already. So far I am really enjoying it. I got a one-bedroom in the corner on a high floor with a killer view. You cannot find anything for this price for a one-bedroom in a nice neighborhood such as Dumbo.

Yes, the neighbors can be a little crazy, and they regularly make a mess in the hallway and the elevators, or scream, but I don't feel unsafe (nothing you won't see in the NY subway on your daily commute). The only issue for me has been the smell of cigarette smoke. At first I was worried that it was something worse than cigarettes, but I am by now fairly certain that it's just some very concentrated cheap cigarette smoke. I've tried everything: I got two HEPA air purifiers, I put charcoal filters in all of my vents, I got plants, hanged activated charcoal bags everywhere, got an essential oil diffuser, and reinforced my hallway door with draft stoppers. The stoppers really helped stop the smoke from coming in from the hallway. However, the vents are essentially soaked through with cigarette smoke (and it's a new building!). There is nothing I can do about it. The filters barely make a difference. My girlfriend has asthma and she always needs to use her inhaler when she is over if my AC is on. (Note to others that the building has central AC, and you're not allowed to install your own AC unit). The only solution I've found is to not use the AC at all, and just to open the windows. Thankfully, opening the windows on the 20+ floor allows for pretty good ventilation, because the air is much fresher and cooler than on the ground level. I also programmed the AC to turn on and work for a couple of hours and then turn off while I'm still at work, that way the air purifier can clean up the AC air by the time I'm back from work. That's the latest strategy I'm trying, but the only thing that really works so far is opening the windows and not using the AC (and it probably helps that my charcoal filters stop the air in the vent from entering my apartment as long as the AC is off).

My question is: were you able to do anything about the cigarette smoke? I've bothered the super so many times about this by now that he is promising to do something "systemic" to fix the issue. He keeps saying that they are consulting with each other about redoing the whole ventilation system to address this, but I don't know how or when that's going to happen. He says the more people complain about it to him, the sooner it will happen.

I would be interesting to hear your thoughts as someone who has been there for longer than I am.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenMeTheTea View Post
Wondering how safe u felt here besides money heckling? How was moving in like? Do they have carts or anything to help you and can u park close if moving from another spot?
Was the gym busy or essentially empty (looked empty when I visited). There's no heat in winter??
Any rat/cockroach issues? Trying to see if it's worth moving and how much of a hassle it'd be or not. Would love more input in the building itself. Thanks!

No rats or cockroaches. The building is newly redone and the walls are very thick. I can't really hear my neighbors at all. The hallways can be dirty because people make a mess, but inside your apartment you will not have a problem with bugs or anything like that. The hallways and elevators get cleaned by staff regularly.

They have a cart for moving. I've been able to park fairly close when I was moving. The neighborhood is horrible for parking during the day bc a lot of people come to the neighborhood to work, but in the evenings and on the weekends it is not too hard to find parking.

I don't go to the gym. Heat is through the central vent, like the AC. Electricity is included in the rent, so you can just get space heaters and use them as much as you need (safely) if you don't want to use central heating.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:41 PM

171 posts, read 128,156 times
A screen shot of my application was taken in June but I haven’t been asked to submit documents yet. I see very mixed reviews of this building so I am unsure if I should move forward if I am contacted.

Last edited by Bkbound7; 09-14-2023 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery