Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2023, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,288 times

Advertisements

Hi there, new member. I applied to this building lottery in April 22, log 2***, received automatic request to submit documents in August 23, and then again contacted again for further docs by Breaking Ground last week. Now I am waiting to hear back and possibly schedule a view.
Any current or past resident that feels like giving an updated review? Is there any chance that smoke will be prohibited at some point? Do you feel safe? This is just my second move in NYC so anything you would suggest I make sure to check during the unit/building tour?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkinese_cat View Post
Hi there, new member. I applied to this building lottery in April 22, log 2***, received automatic request to submit documents in August 23, and then again contacted again for further docs by Breaking Ground last week. Now I am waiting to hear back and possibly schedule a view.
Any current or past resident that feels like giving an updated review? Is there any chance that smoke will be prohibited at some point? Do you feel safe? This is just my second move in NYC so anything you would suggest I make sure to check during the unit/building tour?
thanks
Hi current tenant from the lottery! Pros are that the building has been safe for me, staff has been incredibly friendly and, for the most part, everybody minds their own business & the doorman and security are there 24/7. The price and location of rent that I got for my apartment is unheard of living in the city which was the major selling point. I've met some very nice tenants, both lottery and supportive, who have made the move and the building more pleasant.

Cons are, the building staff doesn't cater to lottery winners the way they do to supportive housing. There are tenants that spit in elevators and leave trash where they shouldn't. I would say in terms of frequency, it only happens sometimes, but it shouldn't be happening at all. There are cameras everywhere so the building sees them do it, not sure why they don't try to enforce appropriate behavior in terms of property.

I also haven't smelled any smoke in my unit, but I live on a higher floor so I'm not sure if I just got lucky with distance/spacing from people who are smoking. I hope they prohibit it soon for the sake of everyone.

Also, it's outlined in the lease that no violence or harassment will be tolerated, but I saw someone getting yelled at in the lobby by another tenant, and whether the two tenants knew each other or not, security didn't do anything so I feel that they definitely have a "that's just the way supportive housing acts" attitude towards them, which is honestly a disservice to everyone. Staff and administration set the tone for the culture in the building, and I think as long as staff allows these behaviors, the behavior will continue.

I moved in about a month ago, and looking back through the posts I can tell that the building has already made some changes to accommodate the increasing # of lottery winners that are here, so I'm hoping as more lottery winners move in, the building will get more strict about policies to keep the building clean and comfortable for everyone.

I would still come tour the building to get a sense of things, and your comfort, then make your decision. But definitely don't be afraid to ask the touring agent/building staff questions about cleanliness, smoking, all of your other concerns!

Old 09-25-2023, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 10,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sandsuser17 View Post
Hi current tenant from the lottery! Pros are that the building has been safe for me, staff has been incredibly friendly and, for the most part, everybody minds their own business & the doorman and security are there 24/7. The price and location of rent that I got for my apartment is unheard of living in the city which was the major selling point. I've met some very nice tenants, both lottery and supportive, who have made the move and the building more pleasant.

Cons are, the building staff doesn't cater to lottery winners the way they do to supportive housing. There are tenants that spit in elevators and leave trash where they shouldn't. I would say in terms of frequency, it only happens sometimes, but it shouldn't be happening at all. There are cameras everywhere so the building sees them do it, not sure why they don't try to enforce appropriate behavior in terms of property.

I also haven't smelled any smoke in my unit, but I live on a higher floor so I'm not sure if I just got lucky with distance/spacing from people who are smoking. I hope they prohibit it soon for the sake of everyone.

Also, it's outlined in the lease that no violence or harassment will be tolerated, but I saw someone getting yelled at in the lobby by another tenant, and whether the two tenants knew each other or not, security didn't do anything so I feel that they definitely have a "that's just the way supportive housing acts" attitude towards them, which is honestly a disservice to everyone. Staff and administration set the tone for the culture in the building, and I think as long as staff allows these behaviors, the behavior will continue.

I moved in about a month ago, and looking back through the posts I can tell that the building has already made some changes to accommodate the increasing # of lottery winners that are here, so I'm hoping as more lottery winners move in, the building will get more strict about policies to keep the building clean and comfortable for everyone.

I would still come tour the building to get a sense of things, and your comfort, then make your decision. But definitely don't be afraid to ask the touring agent/building staff questions about cleanliness, smoking, all of your other concerns!
Hi, thank you so much for this message it was so helpful. I just got contacted about documents.

I’ve never lived in a building with this many people, do you know if guests are allowed to just come up without residents going down to let them in? How does that work?
Do you know if they have studios and one bedrooms left at the lower price points? I technically qualify for you price points but I will not be able to pay $1700 for a 1 bedroom. I’m just wondering if you know
Can you smell smoke throughout the building?

Old 09-25-2023, 04:02 PM

this is my first lottery where I’ve been asked to submit docs. Does anyone know if they tell you what price point you would qualify for (based on income) BEFORE the viewing? I’m a bit worried my savings account or stocks would make me in a higher income bracket

Old 09-25-2023, 04:21 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinhct View Post
this is my first lottery where I’ve been asked to submit docs. Does anyone know if they tell you what price point you would qualify for (based on income) BEFORE the viewing? I’m a bit worried my savings account or stocks would make me in a higher income bracket
Submit documents. Your opinion of what AMI you fit in doesn’t matter much, don’t disqualify yourself it’s not your job it’s their job. But mistakes get made that is why you can appeal decisions.

Seems like they might offer you a viewing at anytime. But likely they would qualify your paperwork first. Once your are qualified you are entitled to ask what units are available to you. It could be there are more than one not just the one you tour but maybe there is only one. Ask.

Asset limits if they apply here might likely be these:
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...rty-limits.pdf

Balances in specifically designated retirement funds and college savings accounts are not subject to the asset limit, but are counted when calculating income from assets.

It can make sense to put some of your assets into such accounts if you think your savings account is too high and you want to save for retirement also. (If you have a big savings account you might want to speak with a financial planner or banker about what your future plans and hope are and where you should keep funds which might not be all in a savings account.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:04 PM

44 posts, read 47,098 times
For anyone curious about what units are available right now.

“ We currently have studios at 100% AMI, 1 bedroom and studios at 120% AMI. “

Old 09-25-2023, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2022 View Post
I won the lottery for 90 Sands, but reading what you guys said make me worry lol. I'm a divorced petite woman with a small kid. Oh boy.
Hi Newyorker2022, did you move in? how is it?

Old 09-27-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Submit documents. Your opinion of what AMI you fit in doesn’t matter much, don’t disqualify yourself it’s not your job it’s their job. But mistakes get made that is why you can appeal decisions.

Seems like they might offer you a viewing at anytime. But likely they would qualify your paperwork first. Once your are qualified you are entitled to ask what units are available to you. It could be there are more than one not just the one you tour but maybe there is only one. Ask.

Asset limits if they apply here might likely be these:
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...rty-limits.pdf

Balances in specifically designated retirement funds and college savings accounts are not subject to the asset limit, but are counted when calculating income from assets.

It can make sense to put some of your assets into such accounts if you think your savings account is too high and you want to save for retirement also. (If you have a big savings account you might want to speak with a financial planner or banker about what your future plans and hope are and where you should keep funds which might not be all in a savings account.
Thank you so much!!

Old 09-28-2023, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,288 times
Hey guys, so I had my viewing last Thursdays.
When I got there they didn't have my name and my appointment noted. My contact from the office would not reply - I later received an automatic out of office reply (even though the dates were for August, not September).
The day before my viewing I was told only studios were available, however after waiting there for a while, I was showed one 1-bedroom and one studio.
After the viewing I contacted again the person that took care of my paperwork and communicated my preference. Even included the other person mentioned in the out of office auto-reply.

I haven't heard back AT ALL for a full week now.

I am freaking out at this point because where I currently live there are leaks in multiple points of the unit, i've been waiting for repairs for 9 months and this opportunity would REALLY REALLY change my life. I already chased Breaking Ground on Monday to no avail, I am literally desperate at this point.
Am I being ghosted? Or maybe I am overreacting due to my situation and it is normal to go these many days without update without the viewing? I can't find peace of mind.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:02 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkinese_cat View Post
Hey guys, so I had my viewing last Thursdays.
When I got there they didn't have my name and my appointment noted. My contact from the office would not reply - I later received an automatic out of office reply (even though the dates were for August, not September).
The day before my viewing I was told only studios were available, however after waiting there for a while, I was showed one 1-bedroom and one studio.
After the viewing I contacted again the person that took care of my paperwork and communicated my preference. Even included the other person mentioned in the out of office auto-reply.

I haven't heard back AT ALL for a full week now.

I am freaking out at this point because where I currently live there are leaks in multiple points of the unit, i've been waiting for repairs for 9 months and this opportunity would REALLY REALLY change my life. I already chased Breaking Ground on Monday to no avail, I am literally desperate at this point.
Am I being ghosted? Or maybe I am overreacting due to my situation and it is normal to go these many days without update without the viewing? I can't find peace of mind.
Sorry for your trouble. Hang in there. These processes can be slipshod from the perspective of applicants. Don’t draw hard and negative conclusions at this point. There can be plenty or reasons good and bad why things don’t run as fast as we want. It might be not enough people working on the task or there are other priorities in the office(s).

Has your paperwork been sent to City for approval? Typically, the building cannot make a decision until paperwork has been approved by HPD or some such.

It’s not unheard of for applicants to be offered tours before paperwork is approved by the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery