Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 02:21 PM

173 posts, read 156,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax_7 View Post
Just got a rejection letter from HDP. Said I had too many assets. This is very unfortunate. My family and I am really struggling here, and I was too responsible and saved up too much money I guess.
So unfortunate! Means something better is awaiting you and your family! Stay positive! Today I received another hiccup and need to submit more documents by Monday! This process definitely tugs at your emotions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 02:53 PM

28 posts, read 14,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoecrazee View Post
So unfortunate! Means something better is awaiting you and your family! Stay positive! Today I received another hiccup and need to submit more documents by Monday! This process definitely tugs at your emotions!
Thank you for the good vibes! Its tough trying to be self-employed. that's all I gotta say. Always have too much or too little to get any assistance. Best wishes to you!

Old 11-18-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
What’s your family size and did you look at the asset guideline? I don’t think they are punishing you but these programs are regulated under federal law so they have to go by the numbers to a T.
Actually federal guidelines says there is zero assets limits, according to HUD handbook. Asset limits were put into place around 2014 by New York State, I just found out, and have been widely contested for exactly what's happening to me. I am self-employed, I keep my savings for retirement in a liquid brokerage account because of the the seasonality of my work. I never know if I need it. Anyways, my retirement funds are considered assets because of the type of account they exist in. I am arguing my case, but it doesnt look like any hope for me. Middle age, very little saved up money for retirement, but still too much... it's all crazy.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:13 PM

962 posts, read 940,364 times
Quote:
Actually federal guidelines says there is zero assets limits, according to HUD handbook. Asset limits were put into place around 2014 by New York State, I just found out, and have been widely contested for exactly what's happening to me. I am self-employed, I keep my savings for retirement in a liquid brokerage account because of the the seasonality of my work. I never know if I need it. Anyways, my retirement funds are considered assets because of the type of account they exist in. I am arguing my case, but it doesnt look like any hope for me. Middle age, very little saved up money for retirement, but still too much... it's all crazy.
They’re not picking on you because of whatever is in your retirement account. They have to stick with the numbers to a T. It’s not personal. If there are assets limits for your family size and it’s exceeded, they will reject or deny you. The asset limit is in the marketing handbook. The only option you have is to appeal in this case. They program is also regulated federally and by the state but it’s not as personal as you’re making it out to be.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Congratulations!!!
Thanks I wasn’t expecting it to move this fast

Old 11-18-2022, 03:18 PM

173 posts, read 156,599 times
Quote:
Thanks I wasn’t expecting it to move this fast
They are diligently working expeditiously so they can process general population! Statt packing!!

Old 11-18-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
They are diligently working expeditiously so they can process general population! Statt packing!!
All of my things are in storage units. I’m not in a rush to move but I have to repack things anyway so I’ll figure all this stuff out in the next two weeks

Old 11-18-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
They’re not picking on you because of whatever is in your retirement account. They have to stick with the numbers to a T. It’s not personal. If there are assets limits for your family size and it’s exceeded, they will reject or deny you. The asset limit is in the marketing handbook. The only option you have is to appeal in this case. They program is also regulated federally and by the state but it’s not as personal as you’re making it out to be.
Not sure why you think I am making it personal. Just sharing what happened. I have become well versed on the handbooks. There’s a lot of grey areas in there actually. So you bet I will be appealing. The assets that disqualifies our house hold was for retirement, but not held in a traditional retirement account mostly due to the nature of being self employed. Anyways. I still have a glimmer of hope. I need to convince them my assets in one of my accounts was a “dedicated retirement fund”, which it was. Had my wife’s and I life savings; it was the way we decided to save for retirement since we never had special retirement accounts from employers.

Old 11-18-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you think I am making it personal. Just sharing what happened. I have become well versed on the handbooks. There’s a lot of grey areas in there actually. So you bet I will be appealing. The assets that disqualifies our house hold was for retirement, but not held in a traditional retirement account mostly due to the nature of being self employed. Anyways. I still have a glimmer of hope. I need to convince them my assets in one of my accounts was a “dedicated retirement fund”, which it was. Had my wife’s and I life savings; it was the way we decided to save for retirement since we never had special retirement accounts from employers.
You are making it personal. They’re not punishing you for being responsible. They nor the system gain zero from that. All you can do is appeal. If they reject again, you get your answer. If they approve you then congrats. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
You are making it personal. They’re not punishing you for being responsible. They nor the system gain zero from that. All you can do is appeal. If they reject again, you get your answer. If they approve you then congrats. Good luck.
I am not here to argue. I'm just trying to share what's happened, and what I have learned about the process. there's lots of debate over many of the guidelines in the hand books, and they are not all black and white. That's why I am sharing. I have had success navigated some of the guidelines that might have got me rejected at the start because I educated myself. I've been doing this dance for well over ten years now. I certainly need all the luck I can get. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery