Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 07:26 PM

954 posts, read 933,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax_7 View Post
I am not here to argue. I'm just trying to share what's happened, and what I have learned about the process. there's lots of debate over many of the guidelines in the hand books, and they are not all black and white. That's why I am sharing. I have had success navigated some of the guidelines that might have got me rejected at the start because I educated myself. I've been doing this dance for well over ten years now. I certainly need all the luck I can get. Thanks.
Idk you said what listed you as above asset limit is a retirement account that’s not a traditional retirement account. That’s still an asset even if it isn’t a traditional retirement account. I think you should read up on what assets are. You can appeal but I don’t know if they will omit an asset because you don’t think it qualifies as a traditional retirement account and you can’t hide assets during this process either, they do a BC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 07:44 PM

This is what it says

Household assets include financial assets such as savings accounts, checking accounts, trusts, investment assets (stocks, bonds, etc.), cash savings, miscellaneous investment holdings, etc. (Balances in specifically designated retirement funds and college savings accounts are not subject to the asset limit, but are counted when calculating income from assets.)

If it was not held in a specifically designated retirement account, it is an asset. It sounds like you have savings in a traditional savings account, not an actual specifically designated retirement account such as a Roth IRA. Unless you can prove that the savings account is a retirement account (which by what you’re saying it doesn’t sound like you can anyway), then the agents did their job properly calculating your extra savings account when they totaled what your assets are. In the appeal, the burden on you is to prove that the extra savings account is a retirement account but this will probably be hard for you to do.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:55 PM

150 posts, read 131,092 times
Okay question about all the asset accounts. If I have a good amount of money saved up in my checking account will that add that to my income?

Old 11-18-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikilove185 View Post
Okay question about all the asset accounts. If I have a good amount of money saved up in my checking account will that add that to my income?
Yes they add a percentage of the total amount of your assets to your income. You’ll see it when you sign and go over your TIC.

Old 11-19-2022, 11:00 AM

99 posts, read 133,318 times
@lani15 which apartment development are you referring to?

Old 11-19-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettydee87 View Post
@lani15 which apartment development are you referring to?
What I posted goes for every lottery development but in this case, the other person said that they were denied to being over assets but I posted what is in the marketing handbook which states that the agent accurately assessed what assets are. I know the handbook is long but I read through it several times and it really answers any questions one might add.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:21 PM

28 posts, read 14,325 times
Well atleast I won’t have Lani15 as my neighbor. Totally annoying and bossy.

Old 11-19-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax_7 View Post
Well atleast I won’t have Lani15 as my neighbor. Totally annoying and bossy.
I’m not annoying or bossy. I just corrected you with facts. Don’t hate the player, I didn’t reject you. You failed to read the handbook. There’s no need to be mad at me. Moving forward, you know what to do and not to do. This is my last reply to you.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:03 AM

I went to view the apartment this morning.

Okay so now the apartments are small. The bedrooms honestly can’t fit an entire bedroom set. I don’t know what the architect or engineer of these buildings were thinking at all. It seems like these apartments were designed for people who live a minimalist lifestyle, which is something I don’t live.

The super is nice and showed me the apartment.

There were several tenants that I saw on the floor my unit is on and their apartments are the same size if not smaller. I actually think the lottery winners have it better because just due to sheer size, meaning the amount of square footage of the units, they are being ripped off paying $2800 to $6000 in rent for apartments that are similar to the size of a shoebox.

My unit has one closet and my agent told me she will give the lower log numbers units with more space and I don’t think that was true. I’m considering emailing her because there was a unit or a few that had more space than mine and I’m trying to figure out why my apartment has one closet? Even though most of the one bedrooms have only one closet in the apartment, it’s just not enough space.

The amenities are okay. The gym is small, I wouldn’t give up a gym membership to use the gym in the building. I would go to the one in the building if I didn’t feel like going out to the gym I know and love.

The work from home lounge is very nice, there’s a conference room as well. The mail room is nice as well, mailboxes are a brassy gold color.

There is no package room, but they are held by the “concierge” meaning the person sitting at the front desk.

The rooftop lounge is the best part of the buildings amenities package. The view is gorgeous to me.

The elevator was peeling, the super has some stuff covering it.

The lobby is very, very small. They take pics from good angles to give the appearance of it being big.

You can’t just enter the building like that which is a plus and guests have to sign in and the concierge will alert the tenant they their guest is here for them. I saw a tenant leave keys at the front desk for their mom to stop by.

The lobby of the floors looks nice, like a nice higher end hotel.

The appliances in the units are pretty good quality. My kitchen is a closed kitchen.

There are no overhead light fixtures so you need floor lamps for your living and bedroom.

Bathroom wasn’t as spacious, it’s a regular sized bathroom.

Closet had the washer and dryer unit. Best part of the apartment.

Living room is not that big so consider how much furniture you move in if you want to accept the unit.

I’m not sure if a big dining table would work. You might be better off with stools for the countertop instead.

The building is safe. Everyone is pleasant.

The market rate tenants do not have more spacious apartments. It’s literally the same size with different finishes. Some even smaller.

Studios are like 350 sq ft
One bedrooms are 450 to 600 sq ft
Two bedrooms are 800 to 900 sq ft
Three bedrooms are about 1100 sq ft

All the bedrooms are literally the same size no matter how many rooms are in the units. So they are small.

Again, don’t buy an entire bedroom set because it won’t fit.

My apartment faces a garden view.

A lot of the market rate tenants live on the lower floors.

Pets are allowed in the unit.

The super was nice and said I can mount my tv and floating tv stand.

You’re close by Prospect Park, Starbucks, Chipotle (on Flatbush avenue not far from Grand Army Plaza), Farmers Market by GAP, Coffee shops/Pizza shops/restaurants/vets/bars (on Franklin, Washington and Nostrand Avenues), Botanic Garden, Prospect Park Zoo, Eastern Parkway etc.

The building is clean.

There’s a chute on every floor in the same spot.

There are three elevators.

Everyone seems to be respectful.

Most of the tenants I saw were young professional people who I assume are high earning which changes up the demographics and median income of the area (not a bad thing Crown Heights needed change).

Dunkin and Starbucks and other small local coffee shops on Franklin avenue. Same with newer, local eateries.

You’re by several train lines.

Parking is about $400, but it’s through a 3rd party vendor and they offer discounts or you can park on the street.

I would take the apartments because you’re not far from Downtown BK or Manhattan.

You do control the heat and AC.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:03 PM

I spoke to the property managers assistant since she is on vacation leave until next week. She asked if I was given the option yet for a one or two year lease. I told her I wasn’t given an option yet but I’ll like to sign a two year lease. So she said I can come in tomorrow and I gave her the appointment time.

So tomorrow I’ll sign my lease and I have to bring two cashier checks that are the first months rent and security deposit. So my lease will begin on December 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery