Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 4,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrchairman8 View Post
I saw the apartment earlier. I really like it. It is smaller, but it's the perfect size for 1 person. 1 closet but its not a walk in, so I will probably get a storage bed, chest of drawers in the living room instead of a TV stand, couch with storage etc. I'm starting from scratch so I can make it work for sure. Wish I got a unit with an island, but I'm still happy nonetheless. The view is awesome so I am very pleased. Definitely agree that the MR tenants are paying too much. But maybe the convenience of the washer and dryer might make up for that?
Do the affordable units not have a washer/dryer? I believe it was listed in the unit details on housing connect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
None of the units have an island. Your kitchen is probably an open space. Almost all 1 bedrooms have one closet unfortunately but you can make it work with furniture. Definitely measure before bringing anything in because the units are small. You won’t want clutter. I already have bedroom furniture so I’m just buying living room furniture in the future.
Were you able to take measurements? I’m really curious about the actual size of the bed rooms. Looks like 10x12, but maybe smaller?

Old 12-02-2022, 09:25 PM

954 posts, read 932,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madi-99 View Post
Were you able to take measurements? I’m really curious about the actual size of the bed rooms. Looks like 10x12, but maybe smaller?
I haven’t taken measurements but I’m telling you, if you want to see the units go to their open house. They have dates and times available all the time on Streeteasy. The market rate units have the same floor plans as the lottery ones. These bedrooms will not fit an entire bedroom set. A queen sized bed is the biggest it will fit. A king or Cal King, nope. I’m going to clean the unit tomorrow before I bring anything inside of it. I’ll see if I can measure it but my dresser with mirror has to stay in the living and I have a chest I purchased separately that I’m not sure will fit in the bedroom with either. The units are not spacious. I can’t stress it enough.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Do the affordable units not have a washer/dryer? I believe it was listed in the unit details on housing connect.
Every unit has a washer and dryer.

Old 12-03-2022, 10:30 AM

15 posts, read 8,456 times
Quote:
Congrats. Keep in mind the units are very small.
Quote:
None of the units have an island. Your kitchen is probably an open space. Almost all 1 bedrooms have one closet unfortunately but you can make it work with furniture. Definitely measure before bringing anything in because the units are small. You won’t want clutter. I already have bedroom furniture so I’m just buying living room furniture in the future.
Yes, I measured quickly while I was there, but will probably need to measure again with the exact dimensions of the furniture I'd like to bring in there. My kitchen is open, I guess the correct term for what I wanted was a closed kitchen. I don't have anything besides my shoes, clothes and a few dishes to bring with me, so I'll just need basic living room furniture and a bed. The bedroom really only allows for a bed and small night stands in there. The space for a bed is approximately 10' 8" x 9' 4". That allows you to open the closet door. So a Queen could fit and leave around 2.5' to walk around to the other side of the bed if that helps anyone. You'd also have around 33" on either side for small night stands. May be better to go with a full if more space is needed.

Old 12-03-2022, 10:35 AM

15 posts, read 8,456 times
Quote:
They all do. I was saying that since it is a lottery, if you can't get in that way and you can afford it then maybe you would still pay that MR price because of the washer and dryer. I don't think the amenities are all that amazing, except perhaps the roof top. But there's nothing I loathed more than the long walks to the laundromat in the cold or blazing heat lol.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
The space for a bed is approximately 10' 8" x 9' 4". That allows you to open the closet door. So a Queen could fit and leave around 2.5' to walk around to the other side of the bed if that helps anyone. You'd also have around 33" on either side for small night stands. May be better to go with a full if more space is needed.
10x9’ bedroom is small. Can’t believe people pay market rate for that. NYC apartments are all a rip off these days.

Old 12-03-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, I measured quickly while I was there, but will probably need to measure again with the exact dimensions of the furniture I'd like to bring in there. My kitchen is open, I guess the correct term for what I wanted was a closed kitchen. I don't have anything besides my shoes, clothes and a few dishes to bring with me, so I'll just need basic living room furniture and a bed. The bedroom really only allows for a bed and small night stands in there. The space for a bed is approximately 10' 8" x 9' 4". That allows you to open the closet door. So a Queen could fit and leave around 2.5' to walk around to the other side of the bed if that helps anyone. You'd also have around 33" on either side for small night stands. May be better to go with a full if more space is needed.
Oh I already have bedroom furniture so I’m not going to get rid of it for the unit. I was cleaning up today, still have more to do but yeah the space is small. So I know some people are turning it down for sure

Old 12-03-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
10x9’ bedroom is small. Can’t believe people pay market rate for that. NYC apartments are all a rip off these days.
Those are for new buildings and pre war apartments that are being cut in half to make more money. It is small. Go to their open house to see.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,516 times
Hi everyone! I'm pretty much new here as well with Housing Connect. I applied to the 1101- president street apartment; my log number is 7xxx with no CB. My friend and I have an AMI of 60% for a two-bedroom apartment. Will I get a shot at getting this apartment? or should I keep it moving to the next possible one? I hope I'm making sense here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery