Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 PM

21 posts, read 36,148 times

Advertisements

I moved into a 3 bedroom Co-op this month, there are strict rules on the hours you can move, a permit must be requested from the management office for deliveries including things like PC Richards or loews (not ups or fed ex)- you can use one elevator (the one that the put protective padding in. You can not pull the truck up to your building but instead park near the security booth on the rivington alley way, boy did my movers complain.

I am a veteran and after fighting a long battle with another Mitchel lama co-op in the Bronx I joined this list a little over a year ago, with the veterans preference I was called pretty quickly. I was allowed to visit the apartment almost immediately - the management are very direct - if you do not like the apartment they will move on to the next person, if you try to fake veterans preference they will quickly disqualify you.
lots of paperwork to fill out
last 3 pay stubs, taxes and W-2's, kids birth certificates, proof of schools, credit check for us was 556.00 3 adults (me, my wife and my daughter is 18) a person will come to your current apartment and take a picture of you to verify your address. lots of paperwork but the office was very helpful
I did not have to turn over any thing for my bank accounts (but they do ask if you have any in the application) - nothing about my pension, sons college fund or anything like that
so we toured the apartment with a maintenance guy - whoever was evicted from the apartment (there was still the notice on the door) lived here for at least 20 years - judging by the condition of the apartment and age of some items inside.
1- kitchen cabinets had to go - these cabinets were at least 20 years old very dirty greasy and contained some left over evidence of roaches.
2- the paint job done prior to move in was terrible probably the worst I have ever seen -so plan on painting
3- I requested they replace the floor throughout the apartment (its all tile) and they did - pretty good job
4- since its a co-op we have to purchase both a refrigerator and stove
5- bedrooms do not have overhead light instead you must bring lamps that plug into a socket that works by flipping the wall switch
6- bathrooms are small and most people will need to do major replacement work
7- lots of closets -
8- the walls are solid concrete - you will need a drill and mason bits to hang curtains, shades, shelves etc.
9- the fuses are the old twist / screw in ones (I had not seen those in 20 years)
10- laundry rooms in the basement
11- choice of Verizon, time warner and something else I believe - my FIOS installation took almost 5 hours

NO dogs allowed - when buying you sign a document that dogs are not allowed and will be evicted if you purchase a dog
security- still not too sure about this -I had a home depot and burger king (never knew they delivered) delivery guy get into the building with no problem. over the last 3 weeks I have smelled marijuana smoke a half dozen times, there is even a letter from management posted warning residents to stop smoking. there are some knuckleheads who hang around in the parks outside the buildings - constantly see security "hanging out" with them
maintenance - some good guys - some refuse to do anything and look at you like you are insane for even asking a question. Building cleanliness is below standard - floors are not swept, walls are very dirty elevators need to be cleaned. however there are a couple of guys that are good and will go out of their way to help you - if you move in you will have no problem telling which ones are which.
I moved in with a 3 minute briefing from the management office - I have seen the building that has the pool but know nothing about it, same with the gym, same with just about everything
the ladies who work in the office are wonderful but I believe very short staffed - if you ask them for anything they will do it - truly the unsung heroes of this complex.

now it may seem like I am complaining but I guess I am just venting
3 bedrooms 1.5 baths lots of closets 1260 a month (gas and electric included) - you cant beat the selection of restaurants, bars, and places to shop
I am sure as time passes and I figure out how things work in this complex things will be even better
I have not seen a single roach, mouse or rat - being NYC I fully expect that to change rats are everywhere
there are some very funny squirrels that live in the complex I think people have been hand feeding them for years because they walk right up on you. they expect to be fed and when you don't feed them they follow you for a little bit
lots of birds - the grass is growing in and they are planting some bushes and plants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 09:01 AM

38 posts, read 63,067 times
Smile list here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaNow View Post
It's all we can do. We have to stay positive. At least we're on the list and eventually everyone gets that call
so true since we are in the list. It is just time consuming....

Old 05-25-2015, 03:45 PM

329 posts, read 682,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynrodd View Post
I moved into a 3 bedroom Co-op this month, there are strict rules on the hours you can move, a permit must be requested from the management office for deliveries including things like PC Richards or loews (not ups or fed ex)- you can use one elevator (the one that the put protective padding in. You can not pull the truck up to your building but instead park near the security booth on the rivington alley way, boy did my movers complain.........
Bklynrodd,

Thanks for taking the time and giving us all of these details. We greatly appreciate it! Do you mind answering some questions for me.

The office staff is really helpful we already see that they are really nice when we call do see where the list number is at. I call at every couple of months. I've been on the 2 bedroom list since 2010 I still have 250 numbers of ahead of mine. I'm hoping I get to move in the next year. It's been a long wait to say the least.

How long did the process take? From the time you see the apartment to the time you moved in? I've heard it's about 6 weeks or so.

You said that the apartment is not in the greatest shape. Will they replace the things that are broken or out of date? Do they allow for renovations?

By the way I don't think you are complaining. I also think that the property will change as new people move in. Maybe it needs people who are more observant like yourself.

Thanks again for your wonderful post. Hopefully it's just another year or so for me.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:50 PM

Default answers

yes the actual processing took about a month - you have to be really flexible with what they need you to do -i.e. provide copies of birth certificates, marriage license, W2's, copies of taxes and notarized statements - if they ask for something try to get it to them by the next day
start preparing now - you will need to have originals of everything - plus make copies yourself so when you go in to the office it will save time
in addition the credit / residence check - is done IN PERSON - meaning a stranger will come to your current residence and take a picture of you and whoever will be moving in with you - kind of weird but it only takes about 15 minutes
any problems that pop up the office staff will call you right away and let you know - the longest part of all of this is once your application is completed is submitted to HPD for approval - I claimed veterans preference so I don't know if that took a little longer but it was almost 3 weeks - so combined it was about 6 weeks

the apartments will be painted- my painting job was truly terrible, the windows are brand new
the rest of the apartment depends on who had the apartment last. - I moved in the cabinets were so bad it was almost criminal - but I gutted them and replaced them so if I move in a few years somebody will have semi new cabinets.
the sinks in the bathrooms do not have cabinets underneath and the sinks are the smaller 18"- so I went to home depot and bought what I wanted
we painted the apartment ourselves (I also hired a guy to help a few hours)
there are a few maintenance guys you can hire to do work from the staff here - this is a benefit
because you don't have to worry about damage to the property or the workers needing a COI (certificate of insurance) all major renovations - you will probably need to speak to the management office - just to cover yourself
remember this is a co-op you are a owner - if you damage the property or another apartment above or below you - you are responsible - there is an insurance company that posts information in each building
so its really good to get coverage (I don't use them - I have my own from my bank)

as far as what is covered - I am still not sure
if I could change anything I would like to receive a welcome packet when you arrive
what about the pool? the gym? maintenance?(whats covered) security? what do they do besides walk around
maybe some coupons for local stores and stuff like that

as I learn more I will post
for those waiting - I would definitely recommend going through with the purchase
besides the cost (monthly) the location - its not at all a bad place
I have lived in NYC my entire life - Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island - although I have only been here for a month Its starting to grow on me

Old 05-27-2015, 05:22 AM

18 posts, read 36,384 times
Thanks so much for filling all of us in, who are on wait list.
This is very good shared information, and I hope others will follow with their own experiences as well as issues.
I feel that any new comer must help pitch in to be a good member in the new community, and think about communicating with management and HPD in regards to positive changes needed at Mazaryck. Everyone's advocacy efforts will go a long way and improve our new community in the near future. Remember: Once we move in, all must make a conscientious effort to be a part of the solution and not the problem!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:30 AM

32 posts, read 56,407 times
Quote:
yes the actual processing took about a month - you have to be really flexible with what they need you to do -i.e. provide copies of birth certificates, marriage license, W2's, copies of taxes and notarized statements - if they ask for something try to get it to them by the next day
start preparing now - you will need to have originals of everything - plus make copies yourself so when you go in to the office it will save time
in addition the credit / residence check - is done IN PERSON - meaning a stranger will come to your current residence and take a picture of you and whoever will be moving in with you - kind of weird but it only takes about 15 minutes
any problems that pop up the office staff will call you right away and let you know - the longest part of all of this is once your application is completed is submitted to HPD for approval - I claimed veterans preference so I don't know if that took a little longer but it was almost 3 weeks - so combined it was about 6 weeks

the apartments will be painted- my painting job was truly terrible, the windows are brand new
the rest of the apartment depends on who had the apartment last. - I moved in the cabinets were so bad it was almost criminal - but I gutted them and replaced them so if I move in a few years somebody will have semi new cabinets.
the sinks in the bathrooms do not have cabinets underneath and the sinks are the smaller 18"- so I went to home depot and bought what I wanted
we painted the apartment ourselves (I also hired a guy to help a few hours)
there are a few maintenance guys you can hire to do work from the staff here - this is a benefit
because you don't have to worry about damage to the property or the workers needing a COI (certificate of insurance) all major renovations - you will probably need to speak to the management office - just to cover yourself
remember this is a co-op you are a owner - if you damage the property or another apartment above or below you - you are responsible - there is an insurance company that posts information in each building
so its really good to get coverage (I don't use them - I have my own from my bank)

as far as what is covered - I am still not sure
if I could change anything I would like to receive a welcome packet when you arrive
what about the pool? the gym? maintenance?(whats covered) security? what do they do besides walk around
maybe some coupons for local stores and stuff like that

as I learn more I will post
for those waiting - I would definitely recommend going through with the purchase
besides the cost (monthly) the location - its not at all a bad place
I have lived in NYC my entire life - Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island - although I have only been here for a month Its starting to grow on me
thank you for, everything @bklynrodd. This was very useful. I just hope the list moves faster for the rest of us.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
start preparing now - you will need to have originals of everything - plus make copies yourself so when you go into the office it will save time .............
​Thanks again! Your postings have been a godsend We on this thread try to share with each other everything that we find out but we have never had an "insider". So from all of us thanks for sharing.

The paperwork seems to take a lot of time and effort to gather. You said that you need "notarized statements", what is that? Does it mean that they need notarized copies of the taxes? I'm will take your tip and start gathering my paperwork as my number gets closer I still have about 225 numbers or so to go.

What kind of Credit Score are they looking for? A while back we heard at least 640

How was the work that the maintenance guys did was it decent? I'm thinking I would like to redo the kitchen. I've never really had a working Kitchen I've also fallen in Love with a Double Oven Stove!

I have lived on the lower east side this area a long time. It is really a great community!! If there is anything that we can help you with please feel free to reach out.

Thank you so much!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 PM

Default response

Notarized statements - if you had a job last year that you don't have this year - you have to write out a letter stating when you resigned and that you are no longer employed by that company (they want all of your w2's and copies of your last years taxes)
If anybody in your household is over 18 and not working (ie going to school) they must also complete a form and get it notarized.
If there is anything that needs to be explained - it has to be notarized - self employed, things like that

I don't know what their requirements are for the credit score - while I was going through the process I learned NYS tax dept, put a lien on my paycheck - because I owed back taxes - my credit score dropped from 698 to 620 instantly. bad part was I didn't owe any taxes I PAID taxes that they said I claimed in 2008 that I was not entitled to - so I sent them a check for $368- During processing (they sure cashed the check) they entered it as NOT PAID and owed since 2008. So, of course I was a tax deadbeat - about 500 calls to NYS tax dept, to fix it - Don't worry we took care of it - everything is fine - which equals a 2 line letter saying I do not owe taxes and I am not being garnished - my credit score went up 10 points LOL
how do I get it back up to 698 I don't know

but - they definitely did a credit check and like I said you pay very heavily for it (3 adults is $556)
they never questioned me about it all -
they do contact your current landlord or last two landlords of you have been in your current residence less than 3 years

through my whole processing - I got the impression if you are gainfully employed, can pay the bills, pass the background check - they are happy with that
its not a heavy or in depth interrogation - its more of supply the information we want
we will check it out and if you are real- you are going to get the apartment

and ALL money is due on the day they request it
after you complete the application, get the in person residence check
- they call you and tell you exactly how much you have to pay

the posting list the 3 bedroom price as 14,766 but it is that plus the first months carrying charges (mine is $1260)-gas and electric included
they only accept bank checks for that payment

Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 AM

32 posts, read 56,407 times
Quote:
Notarized statements - if you had a job last year that you don't have this year - you have to write out a letter stating when you resigned and that you are no longer employed by that company (they want all of your w2's and copies of your last years taxes)
If anybody in your household is over 18 and not working (ie going to school) they must also complete a form and get it notarized.
If there is anything that needs to be explained - it has to be notarized - self employed, things like that

I don't know what their requirements are for the credit score - while I was going through the process I learned NYS tax dept, put a lien on my paycheck - because I owed back taxes - my credit score dropped from 698 to 620 instantly. bad part was I didn't owe any taxes I PAID taxes that they said I claimed in 2008 that I was not entitled to - so I sent them a check for $368- During processing (they sure cashed the check) they entered it as NOT PAID and owed since 2008. So, of course I was a tax deadbeat - about 500 calls to NYS tax dept, to fix it - Don't worry we took care of it - everything is fine - which equals a 2 line letter saying I do not owe taxes and I am not being garnished - my credit score went up 10 points LOL
how do I get it back up to 698 I don't know

but - they definitely did a credit check and like I said you pay very heavily for it (3 adults is $556)
they never questioned me about it all -
they do contact your current landlord or last two landlords of you have been in your current residence less than 3 years

through my whole processing - I got the impression if you are gainfully employed, can pay the bills, pass the background check - they are happy with that
its not a heavy or in depth interrogation - its more of supply the information we want
we will check it out and if you are real- you are going to get the apartment

and ALL money is due on the day they request it
after you complete the application, get the in person residence check
- they call you and tell you exactly how much you have to pay

the posting list the 3 bedroom price as 14,766 but it is that plus the first months carrying charges (mine is $1260)-gas and electric included
they only accept bank checks for that payment
hi Bklyrood - how did they determine the monthly carrying charges of $1,260? Did they try to charge you a surcharge? Can you please let us know the size of your apartment? how are your neighbors? hopefully friendly!!

Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 PM

Thanks again Bklyrood!

You have help us so much we are very Thankful!!! and hopefully will be neighbors soon!
I think all my paperwork is good to go except for the School Letters which I have not idea why they need should a recent a report card due. I'm ready!!! I called this morning and the 2 bedroom list is at 909 and my number is in the 1100's I'm almost there!!

Do they allow dishwashers? I hate doing dishes!

You tax issue with NYS seems strange, why didn't they just deduct it from your last years tax return. I think there was something going on in 2008. NYS also claimed that I owed them taxes from 2008 and tried to collect them from me in 2010! They said their systems are slow! I fought them all the way and then they ended up owing me!

Since you have proof that you paid them I would file a dispute with all of the credit bureaus. This way it's completely removed and not sure mark as paid.

Last edited by Wanting_to_move; 05-28-2015 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: added more text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery