Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
no they shouldn't have. But what you propose is racist and,well, tea party-ish.

wow...where to start....
iight, one: immigrantion has always been seen as a problem by nativist (like yourself) they didn't like when the irish came, or the chinese or the italians either. the "problem" has been around since immigrants started coming here...which has been forever. secondly, the bags are not randomly checked. there is rarely a moment of randomness in government. all checkes are made on on biases. just like checking green cards would be made on biases

You are taliking about legal immigration.

I am talking about illegal law breakers.

How is checking someones immigration status racist? vs the NYPD checking someones bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
why do you think illegal immigrants come here in the first place? i want to hear your honest opinion.

If you can answer my question.

Why the uproar over checking illegals who broke our laws vs Americans Bags being seized & searched?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
I dont watch fox news and I am talking about everyday people, Sobro, I have had these back and forths with you quite often it seems on these boards, again my name is Jacki I am a woman not a man, and no you do not know me so quit trying to categorize me and my opinions thank you very much. This is America and if you are not here legally you need to get out plain and simple. My Opinion is the cops should be allowed to ask for documentation I would have no problem with it- you might, and that is your right to have that opinion just as I have mine.
Its sad but if you havent noticed, people outside of border towns just dont care as much as they should about the illegal alien problem. Folks like SObro seem totally okay with letting illegal folks get free health care, pay regular in state tuition fees, get free food for there kids in AMerican Schools, and get free welfare b/c they snuck and had a kid on American soil. God forbid Americans be stingy with there benefits Apparently when u do say anything about illegals, u get comments like "move to Arizona" or move to a facist country.
People take the whole checking bag and ID thing too seriously. If u are legal and have nothing to hide, then this shouldnt even bother you.
Are u bothered by DUI stops too? If ur not driving drunk, you shouldnt be.
Our govt' is so concerned with how to fix the economy, then they can start by making sure every undocumented person does not collect a single dollar from the American Tax payer. SInce Arizona put out that law, a reported 100,000 illegals left the state. They probably all moved to NYC where noone will ask them any questions ....smh

Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
All American NYC, are your bags being checked every day or something? I've never once had my bags checked by the NYPD...

Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 AM

I am frustrated because I was pulled over & my bag was checked by the NYPD going through all my personal belongings, meanwhile illegals in this city are not being checked to see if they are here lawfully.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
All American you keep with this..repeating the same nonsense. Your argument doesn't change. There is no "checking of illegals"..what does that even mean? We do not have ID, nor do we need to carry any. The end.

All American if you really feel that way, I recommend contacting your locally elected official and pleading your case. You should become active in the Tea Party and Republican party as they share many of your sentiments, and work towards making the law so that everyone is checked 24/7 for "illegals" (whatever that means). Then you can be happy..and while you are at it, why not make sure all pets are here legally too!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
All American you keep with this..repeating the same nonsense. Your argument doesn't change. There is no "checking of illegals"..what does that even mean? We do not have ID, nor do we need to carry any. The end.

All American if you really feel that way, I recommend contacting your locally elected official and pleading your case. You should become active in the Tea Party and Republican party as they share many of your sentiments, and work towards making the law so that everyone is checked 24/7 for "illegals" (whatever that means). Then you can be happy..and while you are at it, why not make sure all pets are here legally too!
So Bro,....

Why when it comes to our nations security it is nonsense to you.

I said if they have the ability to seize, check, and invade our privacy as Americans in this city who are lawful abiding citizens. Then the same method should be applied to those who are unlawfully here.

There should be no special treatment.

If it is then they should stop the bag searching.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
im talking about immigration period. you can come here legally and still be a bum or commit crimes. Its racist bescause it will target certain people.

We don't support illegal immigration, we also dont support just coming out and asking certain people for their papers.

wait,wait,lol. so, you got mad about being pulled over and decided to take it out on other people?
Why when it comes to checking to see if people are lawfully here it becomes racist. But when they seize, invade our privacy by going through all of our bags its something different. Who are you protecting?

I don't see you calling the bag checks racist.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I don't think the policy is racist, what is racist is how it will be applied/enforced. How do you suspect someone of being illegal? Clothes? Accent? Hair? Employment? Neighborhood? You don't see a problem here, or the obvious abuses/exploitation that will be rampant?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think the policy is racist, what is racist is how it will be applied/enforced. How do you suspect someone of being illegal? Clothes? Accent? Hair? Employment? Neighborhood? You don't see a problem here, or the obvious abuses/exploitation that will be rampant?
Not speaking English is a good start. Hanging out at the local Home Depot with their hand out. These are good starts. Yes there may be some exploitation by thats become necessary when a problem has gotten out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City