Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
LOL. Re read the entire thread before picking apart bits and pieces of what is written or posted.

I was simply explaining the simple fact of why and how Haitians are Latin Americans. Napoleon is very relevant as Haiti is Francophone nation.

And the majority of Haitian Creole is French based lexicons and French lexified. It's really not as African as you make it out to be lol. Study linguistics and you'll figure it out.

And yes MOST Haitians can speak or understand French especially since it's used and taught in schools and in government.

And many Haitians can relate to other Latinos and have even lived among them as well. It's all about intersecting identities and paridigms.

The fact is that Haitians are placed within a non Hispanic category and so nmot identify with the Hispanic category, regardless as to whether you may see them as such. So that they are not part of any discussion concerning AfroLatinos. Indeed their biggest conflict is with the largest AfroLatino group living in NYC.

Where do Haitians live? In Washington Heights and the West Bronx, or in Canarsie, East Flatbush and Rosedale? That should provide your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
And why do you insist that everyone identify as black? A person that looks like Denzel Washington can have two very light skinned or mixed parents. 2 dark parents can have children of different skin colors.

Mulatto means mixture of white and black, so that's not denial of anything. It's simply claiming what one is.

ANd when did I claim that every one should call themsleves black? Again your attitudes on certain topics leads you to interpret my remarks to suit your goal.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Mulatto means mixture of white and black, so that's not denial of anything. It's simply claiming what one is.

If you really knew the mentality of many south of the border (latin America and the non Hispanic Caribbean) mulato and other mixed categories is often used to distance one's self from the low status "black". So any one who has vague looks which suggest some remote non African ancestry will run into this group, if allowed.

And please do not say that Denzil will be considered black in Latin America. I have the same skin coloring as he does, and more negroid facial features, yet have been accuse dof being anti white by Brazilians, Dominicans and others because I self identify as black. To them Wesley Snipes is black.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yes it does. One drop of non African blood and one is no longer black. Denzil Washington will be considered mulato in most parts of Latin America, Cuba being the exception.
Denzel would be considered Black in most parts of Latin America. You can't look at someone and see a drop of non African blood. That's the stupidest statement. Most of Latin America, outside Brazil and countries with a Caribbean shore, do not have huge Black populations. In Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, and Argentina, Denzel might be the blackest person around . And they would call him Africano, Negro, Morengo, Moracho.

In Mexico, Denzel might be in many places the Blackest person around, and they would call him those names as well.

I've seen Black Paraguays in Paraguay be called Afroamericanos or africanos. The people they called "African" where people who had obvious African features, regardless of skin tone.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
If you really knew the mentality of many south of the border (latin America and the non Hispanic Caribbean) mulato and other mixed categories is often used to distance one's self from the low status "black". So any one who has vague looks which suggest some remote non African ancestry will run into this group, if allowed.

And please do not say that Denzil will be considered black in Latin America. I have the same skin coloring as he does, and more negroid facial features, yet have been accuse dof being anti white by Brazilians, Dominicans and others because I self identify as black. To them Wesley Snipes is black.
And what about Mexicans, Salvadorians, Paraguayans, Argentines, Uruguayans, Chileans, Bolivians Peruvivans, Ecuadorians, Costa Ricans, etc.?

They'd definitely call you Black.

Dominicans and Puerto Ricans will even talk about discrimination from other Hispanics, because of their African background.

You had issues with a few of your friends who were Dominican, and now you're trying to say everyine in Latin America is like that?

You yourself have those same issues, because you tried to deny that Black AMericans look like Africans. Never mind most Africans aren't pitch Black. You have that stereotype in your mind because a part of you would like to distance yourself from your African/Black appearance, and that's why it gets to you so much because you've known a few Black Dominicans and Brazilians who have done it more successfully than you.

By the way, I've known Nigerians and other West Africans who were LIGHTER than DENZEL! Anyone who thinks all Africans are the same is just foolish. You never had all BLacks with literally the same skin color, and yes, there are some mixed populations in Africa, and this was true long before European colonialism.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:15 PM

In terms how mixed race Brazilians or Dominicans identify, it depends on the person and their experience. Some do refer to themselves as Black or their African ancestry. Some don't. But frankly, I don't give a damn what someone identifies with.

Regardless of national origin, if someone told me we have this and that this and that in their family, I'd tell them I barely care about you, I don't care at all about your dead ancestors.

A person's ancestors were what they were. I won't hate because of ancestry, but I won't give someone an award or plaque or it either. Its all ultimately so who gives a damn.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Denzel would be considered Black in most parts of Latin America. .

I would think that one would confine discussions of this topic to those countries with large Afrodescendant populations. Like Cuba, DR, Colombia and Brazil.

All one needs to do is visit Salvador in Brazil, look at the census and then see that loads of people who are vaguely mixed are indeed not calling themselves black. Yes people looking like Denzil.

If Denzil were not US, but was Dominican, he would be telling you that he is mulato oscuro and I know this because Dominicans insist in calling me the same and then sneer when my response is that I am black. Evidently they are shocked that such "silliness" is being perpetrated by some one who is not AA. They expect that behavior from AAs.

Tell you who Dominicans think is black. Juan Pena. And there has been very clear racist commentary about him despite the fcat that he was born in the DR and raised by a Dominican family.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
You yourself have those same issues, because you tried to deny that Black AMericans look like Africans. .

If you cannot tell the difference between an AA and most continental African I do not know about you. Maybe you can confuse SOME Caribbean blacks with an African, but Africans from Africa do not typically look like most AAs.

ANd it is not about skin coloring only as I know some Ibos who are quite brown skinned. Its a combination of many factors, long diluted in most AAs.

You would be very shocked if you checked the paternal ancestry of most AAs and then discovered that a high %, some saya s much as 80%, have distant European ancestry. I can imagine such numbers will be lower among people from the Anglophone Caribbean.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:

You had issues with a few of your friends who were Dominican, .
And Cubans, Brazilians and Puerto Ricans. Covered several countries with the highest % of Afrodescendants.

Ask any Colombian how many blacks live there and they will tell you very few do, maybe even implying that they mainly are connected to Choco. You certainly almost never see any representation of people with visible African ancestry in anything promoting Colombia.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
And Cubans, Brazilians and Puerto Ricans. Covered several countries with the highest % of Afrodescendants.

Ask any Colombian how many blacks live there and they will tell you very few do, maybe even implying that they mainly are connected to Choco. You certainly almost never see any representation of people with visible African ancestry in anything promoting Colombia.
And we've never had any issues with the representation of Blacks in the US? How well are Blacks represented at the top levels of society, and media?

Yes, there is racism and marginalization of Blacks in Latin America. But you have that in the US as well. It seems you have a specific ax to grind, a specific hatred of Latin Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City