Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I would think that one would confine discussions of this topic to those countries with large Afrodescendant populations. Like Cuba, DR, Colombia and Brazil.

All one needs to do is visit Salvador in Brazil, look at the census and then see that loads of people who are vaguely mixed are indeed not calling themselves black. Yes people looking like Denzil.

If Denzil were not US, but was Dominican, he would be telling you that he is mulato oscuro and I know this because Dominicans insist in calling me the same and then sneer when my response is that I am black. Evidently they are shocked that such "silliness" is being perpetrated by some one who is not AA. They expect that behavior from AAs.

Tell you who Dominicans think is black. Juan Pena. And there has been very clear racist commentary about him despite the fcat that he was born in the DR and raised by a Dominican family.
But the names don't really matter and all, and you're getting far too hung up on it . "Mulato oscuros" have no privilege in the DR . The top people are WHITE . At universities in the US, if you see Latin students there, the ones who are the children of dark skinned immigrants (those qualifying for financial aid) had obvious African and/or Native features. The ones wealthy enough to come to the US to directly enroll in Harvard, Cornell, etc are OUTRIGHT WHITE.

And actually a mulato oscuro is saying a dark skinned mixed race person. That doesn't sound like they are denying having African heritage at all. Again, this is your ax to grind. Why? Why would you care what they call themselves and why are you going at it with such venom?

And by the way, do you speak for all Dominicans who are Denzel's color? Some do call themselves Black. The very definition of racism and prejudice is when you stop looking at people as individuals and categorically say ALL people who are X are like this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
And Cubans, Brazilians and Puerto Ricans. Covered several countries with the highest % of Afrodescendants.

Ask any Colombian how many blacks live there and they will tell you very few do, maybe even implying that they mainly are connected to Choco. You certainly almost never see any representation of people with visible African ancestry in anything promoting Colombia.
I grew up in Jackson Heights, and I knew many Colombians there. Many of them told me that were a lot of Blacks in Colombia. I even got invitations to go (I've yet to do so). Some of them even told me that had some Black ancestry.

You are aware that different people from the same nation or ethnic group can feel differently about things.

When I was in Paraguay, because a lot of people there who don't travel associate whites with a America, a lot of people thought I was either Brazilian, Colombian, or African. Those were among the names people called me. In addition to negro, moreno, and moracho.

A lot of Brazilians, Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans will say I look whoever's their friend or relative back home. I hear that from people from a variety of African ethnic groups too. I've had English Caribbeans who had the same last name as me ask if we were related. I guess I look like any generic Black man. If I do I do and if I don't I don't. There's really nothing more or less to take from that.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Vanessa Williams just did had a dna test done on herself (one that goes beyond mitochondrial dna and the Y chromosones of your male relatives if you're a woman, and the y chromosone of yourself if you're a man).

Actress Vanessa Williams Explains How DNA Powers Her Family Tree | Ancestry.com

She has several West African (Ghana, Togo, and Cameroon)groups and several European groups (Finnish, British, Portuguese). Check out the article.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:34 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times
Too bad she lost the miss USA title.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Too bad she lost the miss USA title.
That was years ago, and I doubt she cares about it. Anyway, all the controversy surrounding them taking away her Miss American crown help make her career. She said she was humiliated and depresssed, but it made her more determined to come back.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
And Cubans, Brazilians and Puerto Ricans. Covered several countries with the highest % of Afrodescendants.

Ask any Colombian how many blacks live there and they will tell you very few do, maybe even implying that they mainly are connected to Choco. You certainly almost never see any representation of people with visible African ancestry in anything promoting Colombia.
Colombia's most accomplished musician, and certainly up there among it's most famous was Black. Joe Arroyo. From everything I've seen they seem pretty proud of him.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times
Shakira is pretty high up there after cocaine. She is pushing forty now...damn time flies fast.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM

211 posts, read 519,200 times
The Bronx is home to many Puerto Rican blacks as well as Dominican blacks too, but I've never met a Afro-Latino of any other background/know of one.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
There are also quite a few Black Hondurans in the Bronx. Not a huge community by any means but there are a few around. There are also quite a few Black Panamians in Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Colombia's most accomplished musician, and certainly up there among it's most famous was Black. Joe Arroyo. From everything I've seen they seem pretty proud of him.
Love his music! Colombia has a sizable population of African descent. Of course, mestizo is #1, but there are many Blacks in Colombia.

As for Brasilians, first and foremost, you are Brasilian. My father considered himself "pardo". He has both African, European and Indian heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City