Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times

Advertisements

I heard several shots ring out around my area at 3 am Saturday morning, with cop cars zooming by 10 seconds later. Sunday and Monday cops were stationed literally on every corner of my area, all day, all night, so they are definitely putting cops on the streets to prevent more from happening.

It is sad to see this wave of violence overtake the city this weekend, and it is a reminder of how easily things can change from one day to the next. There is far more entrenched, generational poverty and dysfunction than people realize in this city because much of it is out of sight of many people in housing projects and through a variety of social services/subsidies.

While this is clearly an anamoly and hasn't been seen for decades, it is still disturbing, and in a way I am glad Bloomberg was there for it, so he can see and feel first hand what others in the city have to live through on a daily basis. If all these elected officials were required to live in these neighborhoods, things would be very different.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 AM

669 posts, read 1,273,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I heard several shots ring out around my area at 3 am Saturday morning, with cop cars zooming by 10 seconds later. Sunday and Monday cops were stationed literally on every corner of my area, all day, all night, so they are definitely putting cops on the streets to prevent more from happening.

It is sad to see this wave of violence overtake the city this weekend, and it is a reminder of how easily things can change from one day to the next. There is far more entrenched, generational poverty and dysfunction than people realize in this city because much of it is out of sight of many people in housing projects and through a variety of social services/subsidies.

While this is clearly an anamoly and hasn't been seen for decades, it is still disturbing, and in a way I am glad Bloomberg was there for it, so he can see and feel first hand what others in the city have to live through on a daily basis. If all these elected officials were required to live in these neighborhoods, things would be very different.
Exactly people always talk about gentrification and NYC the safest big city well where do you think all these ghetto poor move to the PROJECTS. NY isn't like most cities we don't really have bad neighborhoods anymore all the street level crime almost all stems from in and around the projects.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM

This article in the Huffington post talks about NY's Heroine factories it;s pretty interesting to see how the drug game has changed and how much smarter and more sophisticated these new drug lords are now. I knew NYC was the Heroine capital as stated in the article but I was surprised to hear that we account for 25% of the national Heroine sales.

New York's Heroin Factories: Drug 'Mills' Feed City's Ravenous Demand

Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM

While I agree it is the safest big city, we still have underlying issues which can make that change from one day to the next. And I think it is less about housing projects, and more about fundamental societal problems/inequities which are exacerbated by segregating extreme poverty in housing projects.

Gentrification hasn't made bad neighborhoods safer, we all know it was the local residents who fought for their neighborhoods, partnered with police, better police strategies/technology, and ultimately investment which salvaged neighborhoods and made them, at the very least, livable. Gentrification has made neighborhoods more expensive, increased amenities, and made them look better, for the most part.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 AM

josh I like the article but I would point out a few things:

1-Fort Lee is not in NYC, so why even bring this up? I get the suburbs have drug mills, but an article about NY's drug mills should use NY neighborhoods, like those drug mills in upscale LI and Westchester. I wonder why they were not mentioned...hmm??

2-What this article is stating is what everyone should know. The successful kingpins, the ones not busted that is, are those who are businessmen, and who know hot to operate discreetly and not shoot-up their own block and bring police attention to themselves. They don't want employees to participate in street-level/petty crime, as that will also endanger their operation.

3-Heroine has been mainstream for sometime, and you will find the affluent (whites) are the biggest consumers in NYC, from the newly minted transplants, Wall-St tycoons, students, and everyone in between. The white Manhattan customer is the most profitable one...not the poor people of color which became the face of the "ugly" drug scene in the 80s and 90s.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
josh I like the article but I would point out a few things:

1-Fort Lee is not in NYC, so why even bring this up? I get the suburbs have drug mills, but an article about NY's drug mills should use NY neighborhoods, like those drug mills in upscale LI and Westchester. I wonder why they were not mentioned...hmm??

2-What this article is stating is what everyone should know. The successful kingpins, the ones not busted that is, are those who are businessmen, and who know hot to operate discreetly and not shoot-up their own block and bring police attention to themselves. They don't want employees to participate in street-level/petty crime, as that will also endanger their operation.

3-Heroine has been mainstream for sometime, and you will find the affluent (whites) are the biggest consumers in NYC, from the newly minted transplants, Wall-St tycoons, students, and everyone in between. The white Manhattan customer is the most profitable one...not the poor people of color which became the face of the "ugly" drug scene in the 80s and 90s.
The article mentioned drug mills in midtown and Brooklyn as well, but yea ppl still have this 80's crackhead stereotype when most of these users are white middle to upper class ppl.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:36 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Exactly people always talk about gentrification and NYC the safest big city well where do you think all these ghetto poor move to the PROJECTS. NY isn't like most cities we don't really have bad neighborhoods anymore all the street level crime almost all stems from in and around the projects.
Not really true. Just look at the Bronx in the 160s, 170s, 180s, 190s, 200s... very very few projects and it's still bad. Hunts Points and Soundview too.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 AM

It's more about concentration of poverty, which can be in any building. It is just more obvious in the housing projects.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Not really true. Just look at the Bronx in the 160s, 170s, 180s, 190s, 200s... very very few projects and it's still bad. Hunts Points and Soundview too.
Not to nitpick, but the 160's, early 170's, and Soundview have PLENTY of projects.

But the later 170's, 180's, 190's, 200's, and Hunts Point have only a few, you are correct with that.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Quote:
It's more about concentration of poverty, which can be in any building. It is just more obvious in the housing projects.
Basically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City